Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Avoid iPhone in Canada blog and forums

is a discussion within the

Chit Chat

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
Hey guys, I was a moderator until recently on iPhone in Canada forums and spent a good 45 min to an hour every day maintaining the forums just as any
    iPhone? More like MyPhone DaMan05's Avatar
    Thanks

Thumbs down Avoid iPhone in Canada blog and forums
    Hey guys,

I was a moderator until recently on iPhone in Canada forums and spent a good 45 min to an hour every day maintaining the forums just as any good moderator does. But unlike every moderator, I knew that what I was doing was essentially free labour for someone who was collecting the ad-revenue (turn off your ad-blocker and see just how ad-filled this man's blog is). While I did this mostly for the benefit of the community, I also figured that it was unfair that the site owner collected the profits while I did free labour for him.

To that end, I asked the owner of the blog and forums, Gary, for some little compensation or recognition (not a salary or anything lol, but a perk); and what does he do? First ignores me, then when I email him back a week later, he decides to remove me from moderator position. Again, unlike most moderators, I don't care for my e-peen too much, but what I do care for is good people getting ripped off by terrible people such as this Gary character. Nine months I maintained this man's forums and just for asking for something in return, I get shown the door? That's just horrible character.

I just wanted to spread the word so people avoid his site and see what kind of person he is.

This was my initial propostion:

Hey Gary,

In the same vein to what I was suggesting before (I was asking for some kind on periodic perks, he does receive free review units, after all), I have a proposition: I'm planning on getting the new MBP soon and I thought it would be great if we could hit two birds with one stone if you could provide me with a sponsored Zagg Skin (his main sponsor is Zagg so this would cost him little to nothing). That would ease my compensation woes while also providing advertisement for the site on (my university) campus. I've attached a picture just to show you how prevelant Apple products are at (my university). It was taken a couple weeks back in my Information Systems class.

I've also attached my proposed Zagg Skin, but since I don't have access to any transparent background IIC (iPhone in Canada) logos, I couldn't add any in. I would be glad to sport the IIC logo in one of the corners.

Let me know what you think
    And my follow up email one week later which he deemed unacceptable, which I admit is ever so slightly on the forceful side:

Hey Gary,

It seems that you haven't responded to my last email. Please let me know what your feelings are because I'm being pretty open about mine. For 8-9 months now, I have been maintaining your forums with a few other people and for about the last month, it has been only me. I probably spend, on average, an hour or a little less every day doing this for you and the community. Yet now that I ask for a little recognition with something that will probably cost you little to nothing and probably even benefit you in the future, you fall silent.

I will be getting my MBP very soon and would like to know whether I have to make alternate arrangements.

Thanks for your time
    Just trying to do the community a favour and warning you about this seemingly irrational and greedy person.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Almost every single mod on all forums does not get paid. We do it for the community. I spend more than 45 minutes a day on here just doing mod stuff. And it becomes a handful even with many great mods we have here. But I don't do it for any money I do it because I love the community here.

I come here daily to find and help users and becoming a mod has given me a chance to help even more; not only the users but the creators of this great site.

Don't get me wrong I understand where you come from but sometimes the community is worth it. And I have to say MMi is a great community and is a pretty clean, fun place to be because of the owners and moderators. It is like volunteering to show how much you care.

I know that I share the same feeling for this site as many of my fellow staff does.

Also want to add that it is not cheap to run a busy forum. Cody posted the cost for running MMi in a public thread once and it is nothing to brush off. He also posted how much traffic this site uses monthly too. I will try to find the post if I can.

Rough Cost:

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Overcash View Post
    i spend well over 60k a year keeping this site online.
    Rough monthly data use:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Overcash View Post
    over 40TB admin edit, you missed a 1 on the front over 140
    Again I am not disagreeing with you; even more so that you asked for something pretty cheap considering all the work you did for them.

That admin is showing he is not helpful. Cody and Kyle are the best. Even with everything they have going on in their day-to-day life they are very friendly and helpful to members and staff.
    Last edited by Cer0; 03-03-2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Yup I definitely agree with you as well. We SHOULD do it for the community but at the same time, owners SHOULD occasionally thank us since after all, we are employees of a business.

Don't get me wrong, I did do it for the community. And it was also for that reason that I asked Gary for what I asked for. A SPONSORED skin.

But IIC is not MMi. It's a dying forum that gets double the amount of spam posts as regular posts a day. There is not much of a community. I was a one man show that answered almost all questions. I wonder how he's going to get on now...

Excuse me if this was incoherent. It's 2AM and I've been up since 7. Nighty night.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

You could not ask for better people than Cody and Kyle.....

Even if they offered me money I could not take it from them.... Would never want to be paid for being a mod here.... its not about money or payment it's about being happy that I am here and for the community. I am proud that I earned my spot being a mod/Super Mod and part of this family. Little did they know that they were choosing a 52 year old geezer.. lol And believe me the staff is family even though I am much older! Never known such a wonderful group in my life that is so understanding and loving towards one another and the respect they have as well. Many of my days are spent here on MMi. Nothing is worth more than just being grateful!

We have a young lady (blkcadi) that is part of our staff she is a super mod that just spent hours so that we could all order MMi shirts, hoodies, t-shirts etc... etc.... she put it all together collected the money from each person that ordered and sent out all the orders which were a lot! She did this for the love that she has for MMi. She did not ask for one penny.... many of us gave her a few extra dollars for all of her hard work and such which she thanked us however she did a great job!

I am not going to say that you were wrong for what you were asking for however I am sure you see how it goes here and how we feel towards, MMi and its owners and staff and community!
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 03-04-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"Always remember your special and unique!"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,876 Times in 2,215 Posts

Like Cer0 and ToothFairy said the team here as far as i know doesn't get paid, we do it for the love of the community. A good portion of the moderators on here i am sure spend 4 or more hours at least on here a day doing mod work,posting,helping, and having a good time. We are all a family.
    Kyle and Cody both but a lot of work into this site and this community. They are awesome people to work for and help a lot of us out. I think with out them the jailbreaking community probably wouldn't be what it is today.

I am not saying what you did was wrong but i think maybe you could of gone a different way about it and you would still at least be in the same position as moderator. I would never ask for something that may cost the owners money. I would pitch an idea and if they happily volunteered to pay for it then great if not oh well id still pay out of pocket to do the review.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

I agree in some senses, but disagree in some.

Like I said, we should definitely do it for the community. But at the same time, owners should occasionally recognize the work that we do. After all, WE are the ones that keep their site's running smoothly.

As for the sense of community, as I said, I didn't have that. Also, don't think that I asked straight up. That is something like the 10th email. I first off asked for someone that's active to be made administrator because he nor the other admin was ever on. He rejected that and I offered further ways I could help, like being his presence at Montreal Apple Stores for launches. Rejected that too. So I suggested something that would benefit me while also advertising for his site.

And look where that got me... Not only did I get a "efff no", I also got booted from my position for asking?

Meh. I'm good.

Btw, does MMi maintain presences at launch events? At my Apple Store for the iPhone 4 launch, it was all TiPB. I would be glad to show up for MMi if needed.

Thanks

Being a mod is like community service
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey everyone, it's Gary from iPhoneinCanada.ca. I was sent this thread just now by one of my readers, and I'd like to respond with the complete facts here.

DaMan05 had first emailed me about asking to help with the forums and requested Admin access on Feb 13th. Obviously, this is not something you hand out everyday so I suggested the next day I give him Super Moderator access to further help with the forums. This was his response, to me:

Hey,

Not to sound rude or anything, but I'm not the average 14 year-old child on ModMyi forums who thinks he's now the coolest person in the world because he's been made a moderator. I know perfectly well that what I do is free labour while you collect the revenues and I maintain your forums. I have many friends that run sites and forums and know perfectly well how it works.

That being said, I'm still very much willing to do more, but obviously for some remuneration. I like the site and what it provides but I can't say that I'm willing to do too much more for free while someone else collects the fruits of my work.

I can be your Montreal presence at Apple Stores for launches (previous launches have been owned by TiPB)
    I can tweet for you
    I can promote you on McGill campus (think free iPiC MacBook Gelaskins?)
    I can blog for you and do reviews

Let me know what you think or I can just continue modding a dying forum,

PS: Actually go and look at the ages of most of ModMyi forum staff. They're mostly children. It disgusts me.
    I responded:

Hey *****,

Don't get me wrong, I totally appreciate the volunteer work you're putting into the forums--it's definitely a lot of work. No offence taken to your 14 year old comment, but obviously I don't know you. Obviously that will change if you tell me more about yourself.

The site is doing well right now but our budget is limited for paid writers. We aren't making a million dollars a month (yet ).

I am looking for dedicated, proven news writers, that if can meet the following requirements, I would consider paying per post written:

- can write well, with a good voice and free of errors
    - wants to be the first to post breaking news; computer access all day
    - review the latest apps, accessories

If this sounds like something you'd be up for, I would love to read any sample pieces of writing you have, or if you could list any experience with blogging/Wordpress. In the past, I've had writers, but they couldn't commit. Blogging is not easy and is time consuming, but I love it.

As per your ideas of helping out and promoting, that would be great too. I really do love your passion and supporting the site/forums. Cheers!
    He responded:

**personal info omitted**

I don't think I have the time for a full commitment to blogging. I can do reviews here and there if needed. For example, I have Glider Gloves that I wouldn't have a problem reviewing. But that can really be done in 300 words...

By remuneration, I didn't mean cash (though that would obviously be nice :P). I'm not looking for a salary for what I do. I also like doing it, and that's the reason I've done it for the past 8 months for free. I like being active on the forums and helping people. That being said, some perks here and there for our time spent would be good. I don't mean only for myself, but anyone who officially contributes to the site without acknowledgment. Let's face it, websites and blogs are businesses. And it's just not right if you have "employees" that contribute towards your profit that don't get compensated for their work.
    I responded:

Hey *****,

If you're interesting in doing app reviews, you will get free promo codes. We get codes all the time from developers.

As for forums, they wouldn't be able to function without the help of volunteers and the community. That being said, we are grateful of all people who continue to help us. Yes, it is a business and the other end of the coin is that it does cost money, time, and effort to maintain the blogs/forums too. They are free for everyone, and we take on all server costs.
    He responded on Feb 24th:

In the same vein to what I was suggesting before, I have a proposition: I'm planning on getting the new MBP soon and I thought it would be great if we could hit two birds with one stone if you could provide me with a sponsored Zagg Skin. That would ease my compensation woes while also providing advertisement for the site on McGill campus. I've attached a picture just to show you how prevelant Apple products are at McGill. It was taken a couple weeks back in my Information Systems class.

I've also attached my proposed Zagg Skin, but since I don't have access to any transparent background IIC logos, I couldn't add any in. I would be glad to sport the IIC logo in one of the corners.

Let me know what you think,
    I did not reply, and on March 3rd I receive this:

It seems that you haven't responded to my last email. Please let me know what your feelings are because I'm being pretty open about mine. For 8-9 months now, I have been maintaining your forums with a few other people and for about the last month, it has been only me. I probably spend, on average, an hour or a little less every day doing this for you and the community. Yet now that I ask for a little recognition with something that will probably cost you little to nothing and probably even benefit you in the future, you fall silent.

I will be getting my MBP very soon and would like to know whether I have to make alternate arrangements.

Thanks for your time,
    I responded:

I got your email. It's not something I'm interested in doing for you.
    I love giving back to my supporters, and I do it all the time.
    However, the tone of your emails have, to put frankly--a ******
    attitude.

The moderator position on the forums is a volunteer position. Sound
    like you find the position overwhelming right now.

Therefore, I am removing your moderator status immediately. Your
    duties have been relieved.

Thanks,
    He responded:

Wow man. For someone who runs a website, you must know how easily your reputation can be tarnished online. I spend so much time for you, while you take in the profits and you can't even recognize that?

"I love giving back to my supporters, and I do it all the time."???? Where are you doing that? Please enlighten me? My first email proposing this idea was very polite. I was your supporter, I asked you for something and did you give back? Nice blatant lying.

You have some major problems buddy.

Enjoy your dying forums and fanboy site.
    I responded:

This email response from you is exactly what I'm talking about. You
    just proved my point.
    ...and the last email received:

Yes, clearly. After you denied me a legitimate request and removed my moderator position just for asking. Politely the first time, mind you. Like I said, you have some major greed problems.

I feel no need to talk to you further so I would rather you didn't email me again.

I wish you luck with your website, because with your strategies, you will definitely need it.
    So, there you have it folks. The facts. DaMan05 demanded something for being a volunteer moderator (a custom ZAGGskin with the logo of his hockey team, the Montreal Canadiens, to be ordered and mailed to him on time or before he was to receive his newly purchased MacBook Pro), I refused, and he got upset about it and decided to go vent about us online. Well, the facts are all here, and everyone can decide for themselves what kind of character he really is based on the emails received above.

Daman05, you're welcome to dislike my site and forums--that's your right. But, as a volunteer moderator there are ways to receive perks, and that is not by demanding in rude emails to the site admin. You mentioned I'm a 'greedy' person. Sure, that's why every year on the blog I organize with my industry contacts to give away $1000s of dollars of goodies every anniversary, because I just love taking, right? You were relieved of your duties not because you asked for a freebie, but because I did not like your attitude.

I find it interesting you have so much animosity and frustration you feel the desire to attempt to bash me online, yet you come back to MMi, the same forum community you belittled in emails to me. It's no wonder the moderators here didn't support your initial post above. The problem isn't the community, it's a bit simpler than that---it's you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Lol, saying look at the staff on here and we are all children. We used to have one 14 year old mod. He was a great mod but moved around and ended up in a place with little or no internet access. He is now a retired mod.

Most of us are in the high 20s to 30s. We have some low 20s and some older staff members. Guess he can take another look at our staff a little closer and see the ages. Meet our Staff | ModMyi.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by @iPhoneinCanada View Post
    So, there you have it folks. The facts. DaMan05 demanded something for being a volunteer moderator (a custom ZAGGskin with the logo of his hockey team, the Montreal Canadiens, to be ordered and mailed to him on time or before he was to receive his newly purchased MacBook Pro), I refused, and he got upset about it and decided to go vent about us online. Well, the facts are all here, and everyone can decide for themselves what kind of character he really is based on the emails received above.

Daman05, you're welcome to dislike my site and forums--that's your right. But, as a volunteer moderator there are ways to receive perks, and that is not by demanding in rude emails to the site admin. You mentioned I'm a 'greedy' person. Sure, that's why every year on the blog I organize with my industry contacts to give away $1000s of dollars of goodies every anniversary, because I just love taking, right? You were relieved of your duties not because you asked for a freebie, but because I did not like your attitude.

I find it interesting you have so much animosity and frustration you feel the desire to attempt to bash me online, yet you come back to MMi, the same forum community you belittled in emails to me. It's no wonder the moderators here didn't support your initial post above.
    tl;way dr

I suspect the reason MMi mods didn't rush to embrace the OP had less to do with him being a bad person, and more to do with the fact that the whole incident is drama that's largely irrelevant to most of the people here.

If you're an admin and you're a good guy, there's nothing to defend.
    If you're an admin and you're a bad guy, about the same.

I can't tell which you are- but it doesn't matter. Fight the Good Fight. Warning us about bad admins (or bad users) is fine, but unless they are scammers or criminals- their true nature will out and no harm done us (at MMi) either way. I don't speak for the admins or moderators here- just an ordinary forum troll. (but one with deep appreciation for this funny little community)

The problem isn't the community, it's a bit simpler than that---it's you.
    Its even simpler than that.

At the end of the day, the real problem is the one staring back at you from the bathroom mirror. Not just your mirror, but everyone's mirror.

good luck, etc

Thanks
    Thanked 1,718 Times in 1,171 Posts

/Me heads spinning over the op.... @Kyle and Cody, I don't ever want a dime from you guys. I've been here every day for over 4 years and will continue to be here, Because I love this place, this community, our iPhone Modding, awesome Themes & Themers...ect
    That is all

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I'm offended lol. As much as I'd like to be 14 again and resume a life lacking bills and payments... I'm not. It's appalling to call MMi's staff disgusting (bc of the age assumption of our staff) then come here to push people away from another website.

I love what I do here. I love the people that I've met here. But man it sucks to see a moderator gone bad.

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think I'd ever feel okay with myself taking money to be a moderator. Especially with a busy site like MMi. Bandwidth costs moolah. Helping people is a hobby of mine.

I'm not a moderator. Long time member that was active for a while and then wasn't until recently.
    Steam ID: gentrytj
    Origin ID: gentrytj
    Gamertag: TJ McHoonigan
    PSN ID: TheWyzeMan
    Twitch.TV: TJ_McHoonigan

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,064 Times in 4,206 Posts

Wait I'm not gittin any money for this. Bah lol just messin. I started here in the beginning of this year and annie was the first person I talked to. And after she helped me like she was next to me I feel in love with this site. And figured maybe someday I will be able to give back what they gave me. And here I am now couldn't ask for anything else on this site. Great people and jus like my family love you guys.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,227 Times in 6,987 Posts

Wait, you guys aren't getting paid for this? So it's just me then? Awkward.....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,075 Posts

Lol. Why do something for the money when it's fun and you get to make new friends and learn new things?...... Tlalking about moderating nothing else. Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,274 Times in 652 Posts

Kyle and I were chatting about Christmas presents for you moderators. Good to know that isn't something you want

@DaMan and Gary
    This kind of thing happens, both of you probably have valid reasons to be irritated with each-other, but ModMyi isn't really here for everyone to discuss and analyze your dirty laundry and personal issues.

With that being said, thread closed . . . unless those children on the staff here continue posting in it . . . man, they disgust me

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Overcash For This Useful Post:

raduga (10-24-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Cute cat Cody lol.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,274 Times in 652 Posts

see what I mean? Jeeze, close a thread and everyone on the staff has to keep using it until it goes wildly off topic

Thanks
    Thanked 3,876 Times in 2,215 Posts

Isn't that the plan always?
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here