+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Please help me get rid of phishing emails.

is a discussion within the

Chit Chat

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
I'm getting incredibly overwhelmed with phishing emails. They managed to send me one that looks like a message regarding financial aid... It's not just fake eBay and PayPal emails anymore.
    iPhone? More like MyPhone ab6324's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Please help me get rid of phishing emails.
    I'm getting incredibly overwhelmed with phishing emails. They managed to send me one that looks like a message regarding financial aid... It's not just fake eBay and PayPal emails anymore. I don't know which emails to trust anymore, I'm worries about using any browser, and I'm going crazy trying to constantly prevent this. I recently won an item on eBay, and received emails that I think are phishing scams. I accidentally paid for the item with my PayPal account, but the email that prompted me to pay was from "[email protected]" Scammer? Trying to ask eBay's "support team" for advice is a joke. I've seen a few before, but never had to dread every email I receive... Could someone please tell me what to do and how to prevent this? Should I completely get rid of my email address and get a new one? I wouldn't mind this at all. If anyone has recommendations on a secure email provider, please feel free to share.

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Time for a new email address.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

+1.

If your email address has way to many junk mail, you should just start fresh with a new one.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Startover

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

I have an off email for sites that make you have an email to do anything. Other than that on OSX you can have mail bounce the spam. If it is a valid email back then it tells them that your email does not exist.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,075 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    I have an off email for sites that make you have an email to do anything. Other than that on OSX you can have mail bounce the spam. If it is a valid email back then it tells them that your email does not exist.
    How do you do that?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

sweet cer0

Thanks
    Thanked 9,682 Times in 5,945 Posts

I want to know about this too. I hate spam. I get prolly 30 a day, pisses me off. I don't want to have to change my email, I have had this one for prolly 10 years.
    I was seaching Google filters and stuff just today as I use Gmail. Hate spam.

Thanks

I get 200 a day no joke.

Thanks

Please share how to do this. It's annoying that the email I'm having issues with is less than 6 months old... It all has something to do with eBay. I always end up buying something from a DB. Thanks everyone for responding. Anyone have recommendations for anti-malware/phishing/virus/DB software? I don't care if it isn't free, as long as it works well.

Thanks

I'd recommend Norton. It works to it's potential. Not mcafee though. That once let 537 viruses onto my computer.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

With OSX's default mail client just right click on the mail you want bounced and click bounce.

If you have Comcast ISP they offer Norton free for OSX and Windows.
    Last edited by Cer0; 01-25-2011 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Does using a different browser on my iPhone have anything to do with it? Or is there a safer browser that anyone recommends using?

I emailed Amazon's customer support yesterday. About 10 minutes ago my iPhone wouldn't connect, and then I realized my wifi was acting up... After I restarted the router and my iPhone, I received a response email from Amazon. Only it wasn't Amazon, it was a phishing email. Will this stop if I get a new iPhone and close my email account? I'll change my email in each online account, but I'm worries this will somehow move to my new iPhone. How am I supposed to get rid of this virus or whatever it is for good?

Thanks

Time to go gmail.
    HIT THANKS BUTTON TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION

iPhone? More like MyPhone thekirbylover's Avatar
    Thanks

+1 for Gmail. I get about fifty spam messages a day and not one has bothered me by going to my inbox. Ever.
    You can also use disposable email addresses with it, e.g. [email protected] could be used for signing up to MMi, and all messages sent to there will come up in your inbox. Then if you start seeing your spam folder getting bigger, just look at the address they were sent to and you know who sold your address to spammers.

Thanks

I have an off email for sites that make you have an email to do anything.
    A lot of them are used for things like mathematical modelling of climate change, objects in space moving around another etc.