Page 254 of 317 FirstFirst ... 154 204 244252253254255256 264 304 ... LastLast
Results 5,061 to 5,080 of 6323

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Official NBA Thread

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

yea annoys me a lot when i try to click a story or something from google reader and get that message lol

Now that we're at the halfway point of the season, it's time for my Midseason Awards. Obviously, things could change in the next few months, but, as of now, here are my top three candidates for each award:

Most Valuable Player

Durant

1. Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder
    The preseason pick by many has been phenomenal, especially of late. He has improved his efficiency, defense and rebounding while leading the Thunder to the best record in the West. Second in the league in scoring (27.7 ppg), Durant is averaging career highs in rebounds (8.2), assists (3.3) and blocks (1.3) while shooting a career-best 51.6 percent, which is far better than his career FG percentage of .467.

2. LeBron James, Miami Heat
    He's been the best player in the league this season, dominating on both ends of the floor in practically every phase of the game. But I went with Durant because LeBron has more talent around him and the recent re-emergence of Dwyane Wade hurts LeBron's MVP chances. Wade is playing terrifically since returning from injury in late January and has been the Heat's leading scorer over the past 10 games.

3. Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs
    This will be shocking to some -- until you peep the facts. With Tim Duncan averaging just 14 points and eight rebounds a game, and Manu Ginobili missing all but nine games to injury, Parker has led the Spurs to the fourth-best record in the league. He also is averaging a career-best 7.9 assists despite the lack of offensive firepower surrounding him. In February, Parker has scored 25.5 ppg, outplayed Russell Westbrook and Chris Paul in head-to-head matchups, and led the Spurs on an 11-game win streak.

Rookie of the Year 1. Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers
    He's having a rookie season comparable to that of the Cavaliers' last great rookie, LeBron James. James averaged more points (20.9 to 18.6 for Irving), assists (5.9 to 4.9) and rebounds (5.5 to 3.5), but Irving's FG percent dwarfs the rookie LeBron's (.487 to .417). And, as James did, Irving has the Cavaliers in the Eastern Conference playoff hunt.

2. Ricky Rubio, Minnesota Timberwolves
    Fifth in the league in assists (8.4 apg) and second in steals (2.36 spg) -- and that's not even the most impressive thing about Rubio. His selfless play has the Timberwolves pushing for a playoff spot in the rugged Western Conference; if Minnesota were in the East, it probably would be a playoff team. I saw Kevin Love a few weeks back, and, in talking about the Wolves' success, he told me, "It's all Ricky.'' His teammates love playing with him. Although Rubio isn't as strong as Jason Kidd, that's the guy he reminds me of.

3. Brandon Knight, Detroit Pistons
    It's a three-man race for third, with Knight edging New Jersey's MarShon Brooks and Charlotte's Kemba Walker. All three are on horrible teams, but I picked Knight because, unlike Brooks, he hasn't missed any games to injury, and, unlike Walker, his team is at least winning on occasion. In fact, with Knight averaging nearly 14 ppg, the Pistons have won seven of their past 10 games.

Coach of the Year 1. Gregg Popovich, San Antonio Spurs
    Popovich is doing the best coaching job of his Hall of Fame-worthy career. The talent on his roster, in light of Ginobili's injuries and Duncan's age, is nowhere near that of Miami, Oklahoma City, the Los Angeles Clippers or the Los Angeles Lakers, yet Popovich has the Spurs in the same class as those clubs.

2. Frank Vogel, Indiana Pacers
    Molding a team with lots of young players looking to make a name for themselves into a solid and productive unit is not easy, yet Vogel has the Pacers poised to be the most dangerous spoiler in the Eastern Conference playoffs.

3. Rick Adelman, Minnesota Timberwolves
    The Timberwolves won 17 games last season; they were 16-17 heading into Wednesday night's game against Utah. For Adelman to have the Wolves in the WC playoff race is remarkable. That's why I gave him the edge over Philadelphia's Doug Collins, Orlando's Stan Van Gundy and Chicago's Tom Thibodeau, who is doing another outstanding job this season.

Defensive Player of the Year

Ibaka

1. Serge Ibaka, Oklahoma City Thunder
    Ibaka is averaging a league-high 3.3 blocks, and he's getting better! In February, he has blocked an unfathomable 4.8 shots a game. With Ibaka as its anchor, OKC has become one of the higher-ranked defensive clubs in the game, a far cry from last season, when the Thunder were in the middle of the pack.

2. Luol Deng, Chicago Bulls
    He's the captain of the most consistent and feared defensive unit in the league. He deserves some props.

3. Dwight Howard, Orlando Magic
    His blocks are down a bit (2.1), but Howard is still a dominant defensive force. And remember, rebounding is a part of defense, and Howard leads the league with a career-high 15.3 per game.

Sixth Man of the Year

Williams

1. Lou Williams, Philadelphia 76ers
    This was perhaps the most difficult category to choose, but Williams is leading a playoff-level team in scoring (15.6 ppg) while coming off the bench. That's incredible. Furthermore, Williams is a locker room leader and, in many ways, an extension of coach Collins on the floor and in the clubhouse.

2. James Harden, Oklahoma City Thunder
    Harden is the league's leading scorer off the bench, averaging 16.8 points. And, with all due respect to Russell Westbrook, he's often the Thunder's quarterback on the court.

3. Mo Williams, Los Angeles Clippers
    Williams has already proved he's an above-average starter in this league, so to have him coming off the bench is a tremendous advantage for the Clippers.

Most Improved Player

Lin

1. Jeremy Lin, New York Knicks
    This was obviously a no-brainer. Enough said.

2. Ryan Anderson, Orlando Magic
    Anderson didn't even start last season; now, he's averaging 16 points and more than seven rebounds a game while leading the league in 3-pointers made. His scoring is up six points per game.

3. Greg Monroe, Detroit Pistons
    He's quietly having a very strong season in Motown, increasing his scoring from nine points a game to 16 and his rebounding from 7.5 to 9.7. Those numbers have been even better lately, as Detroit has started to win some games.

Most Disappointing Player

Anthony

1. Carmelo Anthony, New York Knicks
    Melo wanted the big stage but, thus far, hasn't lived up to his end of the bargain. Not only is he having the worst statistical season of his career (scoring and rebounding below his career averages while shooting a horrid 39.8 percent from the floor) but the Knicks are 6-4 without him this season and 10-13 with him. I understand he hasn't had a point guard (until Lin burst on the scene), but, as a superstar, he should be able to lead the Knicks to at least a .500 record with or without a good PG.

2. Amare Stoudemire, New York Knicks
    Hopefully, this is just a slump and not the beginning of the end of his dominance, but, so far this season, Amare has been far from an impact player. A big man shooting 44.7 percent is completely unacceptable and if he'd go inside rather than settling for jumpers most of the time, his efficiency would improve. His rebounding is poor (career-low 8.0 rpg) and, again, unacceptable for a player with his size, strength and athleticism. With other scorers such as Melo, Lin and J.R. Smith around him now, Stoudemire should focus more on rebounding. As with Anthony, there might be somewhat understandable reasons for his lack of effectiveness, but, when you're a max-salary superstar, people want production, not excuses.

I don't know what this guy is smoking but Lebron is clearly the MVP so far. His PER isthe highest ever in the history of the NBA.

This was Chris Brousard's insider article.
    Last edited by punjabi212; 02-23-2012 at 11:49 AM.

Thanks

I actually agree with Durant, and would even go as far as saying Parker over LBJ. If you take LBJ off that team they are still a strong playoff team, not the favorite to win it all, but they would be good. If you take off Durant or Parker both those teams would be much worse though, Westbrook can't and shouldn't be a team's go to guy, and without Parker the Spurs wouldn't even be in the playoff picture, let alone second in the west. Wow on the Coach of the year one, thats a really hard one to grade IMO. Collins and Karl both deserve to be in the picture for that as well, not sure about Indy or Minn yet, Indy was this good at the end of last season, but Minn is a rapidly improving team, but could be improving more with the raw talent on the team. I'd put both Collins and Karl above them two. Iblocka is crazy, if he keeps up the amazing defensive numbers he is putting up he will win it for sure, nice to see Deng in there too, he is the best wing defender in the league, and they often don't get credit since they don't put up direct stats. 6th man is obviously Harden, cool that the 76ers sixthman is their leading scorer, but not good enough. Harden is way more talented and does more for his team, which is a better team. Rookie of the year, obvious, most improved, obvious, most disappointing, obvious as well.

Thanks for the post.

And MVP isn't the player with the highest PER, its the player who makes the biggest impact for their team, and without their team would be a failure. Truth is LBJ isn't eligible when he has Hall of Fame DWade next to him, and perennial all-star Bosh. Durant has ball-hog westbrook. Parker has old man Duncan, and broken arm Ginobli and both are putting up great numbers and willing their team to victory.

Quote Originally Posted by davebu View Post
    I actually agree with Durant, and would even go as far as saying Parker over LBJ. If you take LBJ off that team they are still a strong playoff team, not the favorite to win it all, but they would be good. If you take off Durant or Parker both those teams would be much worse though, Westbrook can't and shouldn't be a team's go to guy, and without Parker the Spurs wouldn't even be in the playoff picture, let alone second in the west. Wow on the Coach of the year one, thats a really hard one to grade IMO. Collins and Karl both deserve to be in the picture for that as well, not sure about Indy or Minn yet, Indy was this good at the end of last season, but Minn is a rapidly improving team, but could be improving more with the raw talent on the team. I'd put both Collins and Karl above them two. Iblocka is crazy, if he keeps up the amazing defensive numbers he is putting up he will win it for sure, nice to see Deng in there too, he is the best wing defender in the league, and they often don't get credit since they don't put up direct stats. 6th man is obviously Harden, cool that the 76ers sixthman is their leading scorer, but not good enough. Harden is way more talented and does more for his team, which is a better team. Rookie of the year, obvious, most improved, obvious, most disappointing, obvious as well.

Thanks for the post.

And MVP isn't the player with the highest PER, its the player who makes the biggest impact for their team, and without their team would be a failure. Truth is LBJ isn't eligible when he has Hall of Fame DWade next to him, and perennial all-star Bosh. Durant has ball-hog westbrook. Parker has old man Duncan, and broken arm Ginobli and both are putting up great numbers and willing their team to victory.
    I disagree. Lebron is just unstoppable this year. And his defense is great too. Should Michael have not won those MVP's because he played with Pippen? You, Chris and Skip Bayless (known Lebron hater) are probably the only ones who think Lebron isn't the MVP so far. Lol

And don't forget the Heat are 8-1 w/o Wade.

Thanks

I'm not saying hes not playing the best ball of his career, but I am saying that even if he wasn't and he was having a mediocre season they would still be a strong playoff team, possibly even still the favorite. Jordan won half of them before Pippen was really noticed for his talent, I was to young to remember how good other players were performing, but that team obviously wouldn't have won three titles without MJ. Not saying LBJ can't do that same thing, but he hasn't. If LBJ wins MVP I'm sure it will be deserved, but I think both Durant and Parker mean a lot more to their team. I don't think DRose deserves to be the MVP even though he is the best PG and a T3 overall player for the same reason. If I could vote it would be a hard choice between Durant and Parker for 1 and 2, with LBJ getting the 3rd place vote. It would probably be cooler to see Parker get it, but I would probably go with Durant first.

Lol Skip Bayless is hilarious when he talks about LBJ, queue youtube clips.

I'm not saying hes not playing the best ball of his career, but I am saying that even if he wasn't and he was having a mediocre season they would still be a strong playoff team, possibly even still the favorite. Jordan won half of them before Pippen was really noticed for his talent, I was to young to remember how good other players were performing, but that team obviously wouldn't have won three titles without MJ. Not saying LBJ can't do that same thing, but he hasn't. If LBJ wins MVP I'm sure it will be deserved, but I think both Durant and Parker mean a lot more to their team. I don't think DRose deserves to be the MVP even though he is the best PG and a T3 overall player for the same reason. If I could vote it would be a hard choice between Durant and Parker for 1 and 2, with LBJ getting the 3rd place vote. It would probably be cooler to see Parker get it, but I would probably go with Durant first.

Lol Skip Bayless is hilarious when he talks about LBJ, queue youtube clips.
    Durant had good teammates too. Westbrook top 5 PG, Harden 6th man of the year possibly, and Ibaka could be defensive player of the year.

But I agree it would be cool to see Parker win. He's definitely carrying the team but I just can't look past Lebron. When you look at his numbers, they jump out at you. Some people might say numbers can be a little misleading but he passes the eye test too. When you see him play you're just in awe. He doesn't take as many low percentage shots anymore and goes in the post a little bit more. Lebron can change a game defensively and I have yet to see that from Durant.

As for PER, you can't rely on that alone but that is a good 'stat' to measure a player and how good he is. There's a reason why all the greats had/have high PER's.

Now you all know where me and davebu stand, what about the rest of you guys?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by punjabi212 View Post
    Durant had good teammates too. Westbrook top 5 PG, Harden 6th man of the year possibly, and Ibaka could be defensive player of the year.

But I agree it would be cool to see Parker win. He's definitely carrying the team but I just can't look past Lebron. When you look at his numbers, they jump out at you. Some people might say numbers can be a little misleading but he passes the eye test too. When you see him play you're just in awe. He doesn't take as many low percentage shots anymore and goes in the post a little bit more. Lebron can change a game defensively and I have yet to see that from Durant.

As for PER, you can't rely on that alone but that is a good 'stat' to measure a player and how good he is. There's a reason why all the greats had/have high PER's.

Now you all know where me and davebu stand, what about the rest of you guys?
    I definitely disagree on Westbrook, he is talented yes, but has no idea how to use his skill set. He is being forced to play PG when he plays like a SG, and puts up SG #s. If he moved to SG full time I would probably think of him as one of the best young SGs, maybe the best of the new generation of players. Harden is a beast (ASU in the house) and could be a go to guy on any sub500 team. He'd be the star of many of those teams. And Iblocka is a great defensive player, has been for a while, and is putting up ridiculous numbers. Those guys are helping, but the success of the team is KD. If you take KD, Parker, and LBJ off their teams the Heat would be the only guaranteed playoff team. OKC might be a playoff team without him, but might not. Without him I'd expect Westbrook to drive them into the ground (again not because he is not talented, but because he is not playing his game). If Ellis can play SG at 6'-3" why shouldn't Westbrook?

It's all hypothetical but interesting to think about.

Oh, and to add to your case for LBJ, he contributes almost 40% of the Heat Offense statistically, meaning probably double in actuality. I'd still say without him they could put up serious numbers and play solid defense.

I definitely disagree on Westbrook, he is talented yes, but has no idea how to use his skill set. He is being forced to play PG when he plays like a SG, and puts up SG #s. If he moved to SG full time I would probably think of him as one of the best young SGs, maybe the best of the new generation of players. Harden is a beast (ASU in the house) and could be a go to guy on any sub500 team. He'd be the star of many of those teams. And Iblocka is a great defensive player, has been for a while, and is putting up ridiculous numbers. Those guys are helping, but the success of the team is KD. If you take KD, Parker, and LBJ off their teams the Heat would be the only guaranteed playoff team. OKC might be a playoff team without him, but might not. Without him I'd expect Westbrook to drive them into the ground (again not because he is not talented, but because he is not playing his game). If Ellis can play SG at 6'-3" why shouldn't Westbrook?

It's all hypothetical but interesting to think about.

Oh, and to add to your case for LBJ, he contributes almost 40% of the Heat Offense statistically, meaning probably double in actuality. I'd still say without him they could put up serious numbers and play solid defense.
    I think Westbrook can be a PG in this league. He just needs to accept that Durant is the alpha dog of the team and that he needs to shoot less. He has to defer to Durant when closing games out. With the Western conference how it is, the Thunder would definitely be a playoff team without Durant but they would be a first round exit.

The Heat without Wade would be a playoff team but they couldn't win the championship.

I cannot wait for tonight's game. I want to see how Lin reacts when they put Lebron on him and how he does against that defense. It's going to be an exciting game.

Thanks

I think Westbrook can be a PG in this league. He just needs to accept that Durant is the alpha dog of the team and that he needs to shoot less. He has to defer to Durant when closing games out. With the Western conference how it is, the Thunder would definitely be a playoff team without Durant but they would be a first round exit.

The Heat without Wade would be a playoff team but they couldn't win the championship.

I cannot wait for tonight's game. I want to see how Lin reacts when they put Lebron on him and how he does against that defense. It's going to be an exciting game.
    I think KD is the one who needs to step up and make sure Westbrook knows he is the alpha dog. We see him take over games sometimes, but then be passive and let Westbrook try to other times. Only one of those works. I think he could be a PG too, but he fits a SG's role more the way he plays currently, and I am really surprised that they have not tried to use him in more of that way. They need to play him at the 2 this season, as well as play Durant as a point forward, especially when they have Westbrook at the 1 and Harden at the 2. I'm not sure if they could do it without him, Denver, Utah, and Minnesota are all bubble teams, and I wouldn't be surprised if they could out play the Durantless Thunder in the regular season.

I actually love the Heat without ____ of the Big Three convos. I think LBJ is worth both Wade and Bosh though, he can play 1-4. Without any of them (providing it wasn't just wasted cap space) they would be a more formidable team overall. They could get a true pg, and a post up center with that money. Just think of the lineup if they downgraded one of those for 2 starting quality players. Bigger hole is obviously their big men.

Can't wait for this game too, its a little ridiculous to expect any 6'-3" player to be able to do very much when guarded by someone a half foot taller.

Oh, and if they Heat fall short again this year do you expect them to try one more time or have the team broken up? And if they are broken up who would be the one to go (or two)? I'd guess LBJ as he would bring in the most and be easier for a other teams to be willing to accept his contract over the other two, which are nearly identical.

Thanks

If thunder gets the best record at the end of season then expect those awards to go to okc.

Reality check for Knicks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    If thunder gets the best record at the end of season then expect those awards to go to okc.

Reality check for Knicks
    Idk about reality check, who didn't expect that to go that exact way. Lin to have a bunch of turnovers, and to loose by at least 10.

Idk about reality check, who didn't expect that to go that exact way. Lin to have a bunch of turnovers, and to loose by at least 10.
    Lol exactly. They were facing the best team in the league. Miami has been on a roll.

Thanks

Well to spike lee its a reality check

Thanks
    Thanked 15,286 Times in 7,011 Posts

I think it was pretty expected. If Lin had played great and Knicks had won that would have been extraordinary. Tough task for anyone in that situation.

Plus it's like his 11th start in his career. He was going to have a horrible game at some point.

Anyone watching the rising stars game?

Thanks

7EST on ESPN if I remember correctly

The celebrity game is @ 7ET on ESPN. The Rising stars game starts @ 9ET on TNT.
    Last edited by punjabi212; 02-24-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks

The celebrity game is @ 7ET on ESPN. The Rising stars game starts @ 9ET on TNT.
    ah, ic thanks for the correction. all i remembered is i wanted to tune in at 7, forgot about the celeb game lol

Page 254 of 317 FirstFirst ... 154 204 244252253254255256 264 304 ... LastLast