Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Looking to purchase a new laptop. Suggestions?

This seems like a nice machine. I personally have a Vaio F11 that I abosulotely adore. 6GB of RAM, 1GB of VRAM, Core-i7, 1080p with BluRay and plays all modern games at atleast medium but most at max settings. About double your price range though... Not really recommending it, just bragging about mine

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I would go with the DV6. I have the DV7 and run Crysis maxed out. The DV6 will run it on mid level settings.

ive bought 3 HP machines and they all had much more bloat than an asus...but thats just my experience.

VPCEB290X | VAIO® EB Configure-to-Order | Sony | Sony Style USA

This is what I would go for (if I couldn't get a mac). Pretty good stock specs but I would go with at least a 2.4ghz i5 processor upgrade.

Twitter: @tshoults

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    ive bought 3 HP machines and they all had much more bloat than an asus...but thats just my experience.
    Like I said, I bought mine two years ago. I use HP machines at work, but we delete everything. Being for a small business they probably have less bloatware than a private consumers laptop would.

Also an interesting note about my laptop, it's got a 2Ghz Core2Duo, 4Gb RAM, blu-ray drive, 320Gb hdd, and 15.6in screen. All for $800. Keep in mind this is 2 years ago. I configured a Dell(iick) and it's like $150 just to add a BD drive.

iPhone? More like MyPhone NinetyFour's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for all your help, guys. I posted this thread in iPTF and I friggin started a flame war with people calling the original poster (me) stupid and stuff. Jeez.
    Owner of the Unofficial ModMyi Palringo Chat Group. Join today!

We've got information in the information age but do we know what life is outside of our convenient Lexus cages?

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

I know I sound like a broken record but your best bet would be a used mac. I know you can get one that's only a year old for $800. Even a macbook pro would be in your range if you got a 13".

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I know I sound like a broken record but your best bet would be a used mac. I know you can get one that's only a year old for $800. Even a macbook pro would be in your range if you got a 13".
    He will ignore this even though he said in his unedited post he wouldn't mind one if they weren't so expensive.

Thanks

13.3" MacBook Pro
    Like this one for example.

iPhone? More like MyPhone NinetyFour's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    I am not getting a MacBook. I don't see how much clearer this could have been in my original post. Here are just some of the reasons:

Pricing
    I am not about to spend above $1k for a laptop, and currently, all of Apple's laptops are over that price range, with some being over $2k. Besides, for the same money a MacBook Pro costs, I could get a much more powerful PC specs-wise. People may say, "Why don't you get a used/refurbed Mac for a cheaper price?" Well, why would I get a used/refurbed Mac when I could get a new PC for the same money? Doesn't make any sense.

Gaming
    As I have said again in my original post, I plan to do some casual gaming. No one will argue that Windows beats Mac in this category.

Operating System
    Now, I am NOT about to say that Windows is superior to Mac. Because it isn't. And Mac isn't superior to Windows. Its all about personal preference. I personally prefer Windows because I have used it all my life and the OS is more open. More programs are available.

Variety
    Windows computers provide much more choice and variety then Macs. If you want a Mac, you have to choose between only a couple models. But with Windows, there are many to choose from, with each computer having its own strengths and extra accessories.

See Poseidon; although your original, original post mentioned not minding owning one.

Thanks

Yup... ok to the OP... I agree with Zeal.. stop being lazy and go search for one. Plus as you said if it's PERSONAL preference then why are you asking other people about what YOU want? Go to Fry's or Best Buy or wherever and look in person and play with them and see what fits in your budget. It's pretty much a no brainer scenario.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

moon#pie (07-29-2010)

Do you need a bar of soap to wash with after saying "I agree with Zeal"? lol.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

moon#pie (07-29-2010), Poseidon79 (07-29-2010)

Thanks

lol
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

get off your duff and go look. best advice I can give if you want to reject what the seasoned computer dudes are telling you.

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

Is it just me, or whenever he reiterated he didn't want to get a Mac did everybody get a little more hostile?

He said he didn't mind owning one, but didn't agree with the "Apple tax" as I've heard it called.

He asked for ideas about different computers. It was personal preference that it was a Windows machine. He just wanted to make sure he didn't get a crap brand.

we gave him plenty of ideas, but he seems to want something specific, but won't tell us exactly. The vaio I posted on the last page is pretty much what you are looking for as far as I can tell.

I agree with tiger the vaio's by Sony are the best way to go or hp. But with that being said every other thing someone has offered u seem to just shoot it down. So maybe u just need to get a good ol fashion type writer and do all your school work writting with that and go to the library for when u need to do research.
    You will be the coolest kid bring the "old school"back in to play yay you!

Check out Dell refurb section. You can fine good deals there. I have saved tons of cash. That's how I was able to get my i4 ( JK ). No Dell does have great deals you just have to be patient and check everyday.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast