+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I'd owe $89,910,000...How much would you owe?

is a discussion within the

Chit Chat

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
Judge cuts $675,000 penalty in song-sharing case to $67,500 - USATODAY.com If you want to read the whole article go for it, if not here's the short version. A student
    My iPhone is a Part of Me Wilbourn's Avatar
    Thanks

Default I'd owe $89,910,000...How much would you owe?
    Judge cuts $675,000 penalty in song-sharing case to $67,500 - USATODAY.com

If you want to read the whole article go for it, if not here's the short version.

A student at Boston College was sued by the music industry to the tune (pun intended) of $675,000 for sharing/downloading a WHOPPING....wait for it....wait for it.....30 SONGS! This would equate to $22,500.00 per song. The decision was later reduced to $67,500, reducing the fine to $2,250.00 per song.

Well, I'm not gonna give you the "Who, what, when, where, and why(and sometimes how)" I have gotten my music (due to forum rules) or if it was legal or not, but lets just say that my tab would amount to $89,910,000.00 before the $/song reduction and $8,991,000.00 after the reduction for $/song....

Legal Disclaimer; By no way am I condoning piracy or admitting innocence/guilt to participating in any such acts in the past or currently because "I plead da FIF!! Not 1, 2 ,3, 4, But FIFFFFFF!!!!!".... Just thought it would make for a good thread.

In closing, K.Nitsua said it best; "Piracy is like masturbation, we all CAN do it, but don't want to talk about it."
    Last edited by Wilbourn; 07-11-2010 at 12:37 PM.
    You see that "Thanks!" button? It likes it when you click it!

iPhone? More like MyPhone NinetyFour's Avatar
    Thanks

WTF? How did they figure out he had pirated?

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

does this include movies too? if so i probably owe about $2m
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NinetyFour View Post
    WTF? How did they figure out he had pirated?
    not really sure how they found out but I can make an educated guess... The article said he downloaded the songs (all 30 of them) over a span of several years starting in the late 90's. My guess on this being in the late 90's and he was a college student, then he was using either limewire or Napster (most likely Napster because people were getting popped left and right for downloading songs due to Metallica's campaign to have any and all who downloaded any music arrested) while using the internet at Boston College. I say on campus because I remember reading how University's around the country were cracking down on downloading music illegally using the schools internet because the downloads are eventually tracked back to the university's server. My college cracked down on the campus' internet during my freshman semester (back in 2001) because all of a sudden I couldn't "find" anymore music when the day prior I "found" everything I was looking for.

@sean, I would imagine movies would cost a bit more than a song but I don't think any movies were included in that guys fines.

Thanks

ZOMFG! my sig got qouted in a post! no wai!!! lol

lol but yea, thats pretty crazy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    ZOMFG! my sig got qouted in a post! no wai!!! lol

lol but yea, thats pretty crazy
    lol i actually searched for one of your posts so I could make sure I get it right. His quote popped in my head when I was reading this and I couldnt help but to laugh.