Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Running an interview on jailbreaking

Default Running an interview on jailbreaking
    Hey everyone at this community. I am a user of the online news website Wikinews and am working on a news story on user modification of devices (specifically iPhones and iPod touches). I was wondering if I could get a few minutes of your time to answer a few questions on your experiences with jailbreaking.

These are just 6 questions that I would like to ask members of this forum on jailbreaking, and I would really appreciate it if you could give me some good answers for my article.

If you wish, you may leave your actual name after your answers for use in the article, but if not I will refer to you by your forum username in the. However, not all responses will be used. Once the article has been published, I will inform all of you here.

Thanks in advance for any answers you give:
    Tjc6

Questions:
    1. What is your experience with iPhone/iPod Touch modification and jailbreaking?
    2. What do you think of jailbreaking? What do you think it has done for the iPhone community?
    3. What is your favorite part of iPhone modification, and why?
    4. As you probably know, Apple is against jailbreaking and modification. Do you think it should be legally allowed? Why or why not?
    5. Do you feel as if you are breaking any sorts of laws jailbreaking, as there has been no clear definition on whether it is legal or not?
    6. What aspects of jailbreaking and modification do you think have done best for the entire iPhone community? The worst? Why?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

1. Modifying the iPhone unleashes the true potential of the OS. Not that a stock OS is bad by any means, but it leaves it seriously lacking.
    2. Jailbreaking has not only helped us catapult the OS to higher levels; it has opened the phone up to users that cannot normally enjoy it on their official carriers.
    3. There are so many that it is hard to choose from: True Multi-tasking, Themeing, a deeper bluetooth stack, tethering, access to root. Choose one for me
    4. I understand Apple's stance. They try to run an exceptional OS which they feel can only remain that way if they have complete control over it. As we know by now this is simply not true. They however, have implemented many of the Jailbreak Community's modifications into later firmware updates. Apple would not be this far into their OS if it weren't for the thousands upon thousands of guinea pigs like us so I feel that they should let it go and let us do our thing.
    5. Absolutely not. How can we be doing illegal things when Apple themselves benefit from it? The grass is always greener for them no matter which side of the fence they are looking over from.
    6. Accessing root on the phone has been the singular most beneficial modification there is. Everything else falls into line thereafter. Without it nothing else would be accomplished. The worst? Access to pirated apps, but that is in no way the fault of Jailbreaking. It lies squarely upon peoples morals or lack thereof.

Questions:
    What is your experience with iPhone/iPod Touch modification and jailbreaking?

I've been doing this since 2.0 on my iPhone 3G, and I've never had a bad experience. It doesn't degrade the performance of the iPhone in most cases (Winterboard and Multitasking can crush your performance, but you learn what you can and cannot do really fast)

What do you think of jailbreaking? What do you think it has done for the iPhone community?

I think Jailbreaking gives people an avenue to get out applications that Apple for one reason or another decided that they wouldn't put it on their App Store. What it has done as a community has shown Apple what the phone should be doing on top of what Apple has put on the phone or allowed in the Store. I loved having Swirly MMS back before Apple supported MMS, that way I could still MMS, even though Apple had apparently decided they didn't like people using MMS. I think the jailbreaking community shows Apple the demand for these things, and then Apple can include on their baseband.

What is your favorite part of iPhone modification, and why?

Just opening more avenues of access on the phone. I can make my iPhone look really unique. I loved being able to MMS and see pictures of my kids while I away before 3.0 came around. I can multitask now, and have been able to multitask for a long time. I like being able to reply to a text from within the program that I'm in without having to exit and then get back in it. I like being able to turn my phone into a wifi hotspot.

As you probably know, Apple is against jailbreaking and modification. Do you think it should be legally allowed? Why or why not?

I don't see how it can't be legally allowed. Just think what would happen to Microsoft if they said all programs that are being made to work for Windows has to go through an application process, and then put on a specific Microsoft Store to be able to be sold. I know one is for a computer and the iPhone OS is for a phone, but I see this as no different. It's an operating system that programs can be made to take advantage of the uniqueness of the device. I can understand Apples trepidation in allowing this though, as it can degrade the performance of the phone to operate it's base functions, and some programs that are done can be construed as stealing (creating a wifi hotspot for one, since AT&T doesn't allowing tethering).

Do you feel as if you are breaking any sorts of laws jailbreaking, as there has been no clear definition on whether it is legal or not?

There is only two instances where the law can be broken by jailbreaking that I can think of. If you download apps for free that are for sale through the App Store or Cydia, then yes, you're clearly breaking anti-piracy laws. If you give your phone the ability to do tethering, then you're probably breaking the agreement made between yourself and AT&T.

What aspects of jailbreaking and modification do you think have done best for the entire iPhone community? The worst? Why?

The best aspects of the jailbreaking and modication community come in the changes that it drives Apple to encompass, and the innovation it adds to the phone. MMS acceptance on the iPhone was probably driven by people's desire and their willingness to get it through jailbreaking. Another aspect is that it shows Apple what the OS can do in ways they might not have thought of. Did Apple think their OS could do Pandora, a TomTom app, and being able to text at the same time? I do this all the time, and luckily multitasking is now coming as a baseband support in the next big update. has driven that as well. The ability to modify the look of the phone has probably gotten apple to support changing the backgrounds on the next update as well. I love seeing things like in Android 2.2, people are really excited about using their phone as a wifi hotspot. But the iPhone has been doing that for a long time through the jailbreaking community. The innovation is by far the best part.

The worst aspect is people can download apps for free instead of paying the developer for their time. The plus of this though is the ability of people to test out an app to ensure that is in fact worth the $0.99, or upwards to $50 with navigation, that they would be paying. But they still have the ability to not pay at all, and that is detrimental to the further development of applications.

1. What is your experience with iPhone/iPod Touch modification and jailbreaking?
    using the idevice to its limits and realizing what this device can really do
    2. What do you think of jailbreaking? What do you think it has done for the iPhone community?
    i think it made more people actually want an iphone two major flaws of this device is customization and multitasking and jailbreaking gives us this
    has to be themes u have a large community and theme makers that are making awesome themes and are willing to support users
    4. As you probably know, Apple is against jailbreaking and modification. Do you think it should be legally allowed? Why or why not?
    should be allowed but its hard to convince apple because of cracked apps and i dont blame them
    5. Do you feel as if you are breaking any sorts of laws jailbreaking, as there has been no clear definition on whether it is legal or not?
    nope dont have any pirated stuff
    6. What aspects of jailbreaking and modification do you think have done best for the entire iPhone community? The worst? Why?
    best: theme and multitasking worst: pirates

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

--No complaints. It lets me use T-Mobile and tweak the phone to it's fullest capacity. Much more than Apple allows.

--I think jailbreaking is the best thing to happen to the iPhone. It has done a lot. It has given all iPhone users ability to do what Apple restricts and also makes it just so much of a better phone than any other.

--Tweaks, tweaks, tweaks! I sped up my 3G and added multi-tasking to it. Language packs and LaunchDaemons bog the phone down, jailbreaking to remove those things really boosted my 3G's speed.

--I don't care if it's legally allowed or not because it is gonna happen now, and it is gonna happen in the future. Legally or not, it will still produce the same results

--Not really. It is MY phone because I bought it with my hard-earned money. Why can't I do what I want with it? If I want to multi-task on my phone, I damn well will multi-task on my phone!

--Unlocking is the best part of jailbreaking for the community as a whole. Theming is a large part of jailbreaking, but I don't do much of it as it lags my phone. There is no worst in modding or jailbreaking the phone It is pure benefit for us users.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 05-24-2010 at 06:23 PM.

Default Thanks!
    These are some very good answers, guys. Thanks a bunch!

Tjc6

Thanks

I think you should interview me and me only because of how awesome i am.
    EDM

If they did that you may end up getting sent away to a padded room.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,179 Times in 6,198 Posts

^again...................

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    If they did that you may end up getting sent away to a padded room.
    I heard those are Comfy
    EDM

What is your experience with iPhone/iPod Touch modification and jailbreaking?
    I first heard about jailbreaking in early 2009 when one of my friends told me that you could play guitar hero, it ended up just being a skin for tap tap revenge. I've always been a perfectionist, so I jailbreak to get my device just the way I like it.
    What do you think of jailbreaking? What do you think it has done for the iPhone community?
    I think jailbreaking is a great option for those who want more out of their device. I understand how people who are already satisfied don't jailbreak, but I expect a lot out of my devices. I think it helps the iPhone community, because I wouldn't of got so into it if I hadn't spent so much time getting the right apps from Cydia Installed.
    What is your favorite part of iPhone modification, and why?
    Theming/Widgets. I love being able to change everything down to the pause button on my iPhone. Plus I love having live weather on my homescreen.

As you probably know, Apple is against jailbreaking and modification. Do you think it should be legally allowed? Why or why not?
    I understand why Apple is against jailbreaking. But at the end of the day an iPhone is like a car, you buy it from the dealership, and can modify it as much as you want as long as you don't expect the people you got it from to bail you out when you mess it up.
    Do you feel as if you are breaking any sorts of laws jailbreaking, as there has been no clear definition on whether it is legal or not?
    I feel that it is completely legal, since there is no law against it. You can't be breaking the law if there isn't a law to break.
    What aspects of jailbreaking and modification do you think have done best for the entire iPhone community? The worst? Why?
    I think the programs, whenever Apple has added a new item in a software, it's almost always been available befor through jailbreaking, so it gives Apple ideas. Applications, Cut & Paste, search, multitasking, taking videos, custom backgrounds and folders where all available through jailbreaking before through the basic iPhone OS.
    George Wilson
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No