+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Optimizing Router

is a discussion within the

Chit Chat

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
Ok so i have decided to go into my routers settings and mess around a little bit and try to learn something. I don't really know a whole lot on
    Thanks

Default Optimizing Router
    Ok so i have decided to go into my routers settings and mess around a little bit and try to learn something. I don't really know a whole lot on the networking side. I have hugesnet and i'm always trying to find ways to try to get a little more speed out of it, failing most of the time. Tonight i want to re-organize my routers settings, right now it is just set up as an open network so i have added a WEP key and now i'm wondering if my internet connection type needs to be set as, Obtain IP automatically(this is what it was), static IP(don't think it should be this), (the rest i just don't know about) PPPoE, RAS, PPTP, or Heart Beat Signal? Thanks for any suggestions.

One more thing, for some reason my iphone has never been able to keep my home wifi connection like after i hit the sleep button, i have to go back in and tap to connect. Everywhere else i go it automatically connects and stays connected?
    Last edited by howlett15; 03-07-2010 at 11:09 PM. Reason: one more thing
    13" 2.9 GHz i7 MacBook Pro OSX Mountain Lion | 32gb iPhone 4S iOS 5.1.1 JB

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

You want to keep it as obtain an Ip automatically, that way every time a new device turns on in your network the routers DHCP will automatically assign it a ip address to each device.

Static Ip address means each device would have a fixed ip address it always uses. Not really practical for basic home networks.

If you are looking to spruce up your speed on your network, you can look for a setting called QoS in your router.It may or may not have this. This setting would allow you to assign bandwidth priority to certain devices on your network via ethernet ports, mac addresses, or firewall ports.

If you post the make and model number of your router, so I can google it, I could tell you allot more about what features you have to play with.

Also leave those last settings you mentioned alone. pppoe is a proxy type setting for bridge mode that doesn't apply to you. RAS, PPTP, or Heart Beat Signal are basic communication protocols that are used to communicate between devices.

Also you mentioned hughes is your ISP, they are a satellite service correct? If so this may be the issue with your iphones wifi being dropped when it sleeps. The router may have a predefined setting to drop the connectiom to save on bandwidth since satellite is very limited in its bandwidth.

Also it sounds like it could be a problem with your routers DHCP not automatically assigning an ip address back to your iphone.

I would suggest to try setting your iphones wifi up with a static ip address. Its not to hard to do just go into settings > WI-FI > click the blue > arrow on your connection name and write down all the info it has listed under DHCP tab.

Once you do that you will have your Ip address that you need to change to make it static. The one your writing down should look something along the lines of 192.168.1.x or 192.168.2.x or 10.0.0.x the last numbers being represented by x here can be different based of what has already been assigned on your router.

So the easiest thing to do would be to make the last set/.x into .151 example 192.168.1.151 or 192.168.2.151 or 10.0.0.151 So just replace the last number after the last decimal point with 151

So then you click the tab labeled Static in your iphones wi fi connections and enter all the info you wrote down back in the same spots they were under the DHCP tab. The only difference being is the new Ip address you created for it like the examples I showed above.

Hope this helps and wasn't to confusing
    Last edited by Captinsmooth; 03-08-2010 at 10:50 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Captinsmooth For This Useful Post:

howlett15 (03-09-2010)

Thanks

Wow thanks alot, I think after I changed the ssid from linksys to HowlNett (lol) and set a WEP passcode I keep my wifi signal now.... Another problem I'm having is upgrading the firmware. My router is a Linksys befw11s4 version 4 with firmware 1.45.7

Thanks

Ok under the applications and gaming tab you will see the QoS sub tab I was telling you about. check that out it is pretty self explanatory.

If you need to find your mac address for your pc type cmd in the run tab and when it opens the command prompt screen type in ipconfig /all it will list a bunch of info in there about your pc. You should be able to find you mac address listed amongst the info.

As far as upgrading your firmware, what issues are you having while doing it?

Thanks

Well i downloaded the .bin file from the linksys site and then on the help screen upload it and the status bar says it was all the way uploaded and it opens up a blank page but when I restart/power cycle the router no changed are made

Thanks

You may not notice a difference from the old to new firmware. Did the revision numbers stay the same?

Thanks

Yea the version numbers are the same

Thanks

Were you trying to upgrade it over the wireless connection? Because you need to have a ethernet cable running between your pc and router do do the upgrade.

Thanks

No it was wired

Got it to upgrade, had to rename the file

Also I'm not seeing the QoS subtab under the applications and gaming tab. Thanks for your suggestions though
    Last edited by howlett15; 03-09-2010 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Yeah not all routers have the setting. If you are feeling like you want more out of it, you can always install a third party firmware on it like tomato or DD-wrt. They will both give you tons of options for it to increase performance.

www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router

Thanks

Ok well we are getting rid of Hughes net (thank god!) and are trying out sprints 3g/4g aircard with a netgear mobile broadband router. So now my question is, where at in the house is going to get the best signal? Upstairs near a window or the main level where most computers are used? And is there any tweaks I can make with this router to get the most out of it?