+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PS3 is finally hacked... by GEOHOT!??? eek

is a discussion within the

Chit Chat

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
PS3 finally properly hacked? -- Engadget PS3 finally properly hacked? By Tim Stevens posted Jan 23rd 2010 6:51AM In a post titled "Hello hypervisor, I'm geohot," hacker George Hotz (already
    Thanks

Default PS3 is finally hacked... by GEOHOT!??? eek

PS3 finally properly hacked? -- Engadget

PS3 finally properly hacked?
    By Tim Stevens posted Jan 23rd 2010 6:51AM

In a post titled "Hello hypervisor, I'm geohot," hacker George Hotz (already known in the iPhone community) has made a strong claim: that he has cracked the PS3. The system has remained (mostly) uncompromised for over three years now, with a few exceptions here and there. But, this one pledges full read/write access to the entire system memory and complete control over the processor -- all without a mod chip. Has he really done it, if so how, and what comes next? That all remains to be seen. This exploit supposedly "isn't really patchable, but [Sony] can make implementations much harder," meaning he isn't tipping his hat until he's ready, because once he does the never-ending firmware update war begins, and as we've seen on the PSP, Sony can really knock out those updates.

http://twitter.com/Geohot
    "fine, one tweet... i just hacked the PS3... http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/ about 15 hours ago from web "

http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/
    Friday, January 22, 2010
    Hello hypervisor, I'm geohot
    I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor. In other words, I have hacked the PS3. The rest is just software. And reversing. I have a lot of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps of LV0 and LV1. I've also dumped the NAND without removing it or a modchip.

3 years, 2 months, 11 days...thats a pretty secure system

Took 5 weeks, 3 in Boston, 2 here, very simple hardware cleverly applied, and some not so simple software.

Shout out to George Kharrat from iPhoneMod Brasil for giving me this PS3 a year and a half ago to hack. Sorry it took me so long

As far as the exploit goes, I'm not revealing it yet. The theory isn't really patchable, but they can make implementations much harder. Also, for obvious reasons I can't post dumps. I'm hoping to find the decryption keys and post them, but they may be embedded in hardware. Hopefully keys are setup like the iPhone's KBAG.

A lot more to come...follow @geohot on twitter
    Posted by George Hotz at 7:06 PM
    Last edited by Rescuer; 01-23-2010 at 08:41 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rescuer For This Useful Post:

lath123 (02-01-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

Yes. Finally

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

He did it. The guy is the ultimate hacker

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    He did it. The guy is the ultimate hacker
    yeah, this guy is truly amazing.

i mean, i save lives and all, but this guy solves the most difficult things that help millions of people around the globe!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

He must have gotten bored. LOL..............

I suppose the new iphone OS isn't appealing to him. Bad FOR US?
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

Can't wait to hack mine.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is it good the hack that is

Can the ps3 slim be hacked?
    Last edited by david_eaves31; 01-23-2010 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by david_eaves31 View Post
    Is it good the hack that is

Can the ps3 slim be hacked?
    he posts news to his blog. just check it every day or so to stay on top of his updates

On the PlayStation 3

Thanks

That's amazing...yet I don't own one, but I want to.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

It's much better than xbox only thing xbox has is more people ad that was cause it could be hacked

Thanks

True

Thanks

Anyone want to trade a ps3 for a 360? Lol.... Seriously

iPhone? More like MyPhone candymanmike's Avatar
    Thanks

i'd like to get my hands on that hack! and one for the wii too. tried a wii hack i found but couldn't get it to load off the sd card. i've hacked 3 computers and probably a dozen phones and an xbox so i know how to follow instructions. the wii hack i found just plain didn't work. but the ps3 one is one i REALLY want to try!
    Visit us on your sister site at www.ModMyMobile.com
    Follow me on Twitter @CandymanMike & on My Blog

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

geohot man this guy has a history first his with the iphone dev team then hes kicked out and they say he cant really code/hack he just "steals" others work then the famous blackra1n now this i say the man truly knows what he is doing.
    Yeah, you'll be the coolest person in the room when you pull one out and show it around, but that gets old fast when three other people have them and one person somehow has one that glows in the dark.
    John C. Dvorak
    The American columnist and broadcaster in article 'Rethinking the iPhone' in PC Magazine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by candymanmike View Post
    i'd like to get my hands on that hack! and one for the wii too. tried a wii hack i found but couldn't get it to load off the sd card. i've hacked 3 computers and probably a dozen phones and an xbox so i know how to follow instructions. the wii hack i found just plain didn't work. but the ps3 one is one i REALLY want to try!
    A hack for the wii other than a modchip?

UiK
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default PlayStation 3 'hacked' by iPhone cracker
    Sorry didn't know where else to post this -

PlayStation 3 'hacked' by iPhone cracker
    By Jonathan Fildes
    Technology reporter, BBC News

The hack involves hardware and software

A US hacker who gained notoriety for unlocking Apple's iPhone as a teenager has told BBC News that he has now hacked Sony's PlayStation 3 (PS3).

George Hotz said the hack, which could allow people to run pirated games or homemade software, took him five weeks.

He said he was still refining the technique but intended to post full details online soon.
    The PS3 is the only games console that has not been hacked, despite being on the market for three years.

"It's supposed to be unhackable - but nothing is unhackable," Mr Hotz told BBC News.

"I can now do whatever I want with the system. It's like I've got an awesome new power - I'm just not sure how to wield it."

Sony said it was "investigating the report" and would "clarify the situation" when it had more information.

'Open curiosity'
    Mr Hotz said that he had begun the hack last summer when he had spent three weeks analysing the hardware.

After a long break, he spent a further two weeks cracking the console, which he described as a "very secure system".

He said that he was not yet ready to reveal the full details of the hack but said that it was "5% hardware and 95% software".

The hack could allow gamers to play pirated games

"You can use hardware to inject an insecurity and then you can build on that," he said.
    He admitted that he had not managed to hack the whole system, including the protected memory, but had worked out ways to trick the console into doing what he wanted.

Mr Hotz said that he was continuing to work on the hack and, once finished, would publish details online in a similar way to his previous iPhone exploits.

In particular, he said, he would publish details of the console's "root key", a master code that once known would make it easier for others to decipher and hack other security features on the console.

He said his motivation was "curiosity" and "opening up the platform".

"To tell you the truth, I've never really played a PS3," he said. "I have one game, but I've never really played it."

Opening the system could allow people to install other operating systems on their console and play homemade games, he said.

In addition, he said, the hack would allow people to play older PS2 games on their consoles.

Recent versions of the PS3 do not have the ability to play PS2 games after Sony controversially removed a piece of hardware.

He admitted that it could also allow people to run pirated games.

"I'm not going to personally have anything to do with that," he told BBC News.

Gaming firms do not take the issue of game piracy and console modification lightly.
    Recently, Microsoft disconnected thousands of gamers from its online gaming service Xbox Live for modifying their consoles to play pirated games.

Mr Hotz said that the nature of his PS3 hack means that Sony may have difficulty patching the exploit.

"We are investigating the report and will clarify the situation once we have more information," said a Sony spokesman.

Mr Hotz rose to fame in 2007 at the age of 17 when he unlocked the iPhone, which could only be used on the AT&T network in the US at launch.

The hack allowed the popular handset to be used on any network.

He has since released various other hacks, allowing people to unlock later versions of the popular handset.

Source: BBC

Thanks

It was already posted. Pls search next tome

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

This would go in Chit Chat as it has nothing to do with iPhones or Apple. thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Do people still use modchips for the wii?

Thanks

This has been already posted.