+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Shiznit.... College is Expensive.

is a discussion within the

Chit Chat

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
I just found out I am going to owe the college I'm attending about $8k. I am not elligible for the Federal Pell Grant because my family makes too much
    Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

Unhappy Shiznit.... College is Expensive.
    I just found out I am going to owe the college I'm attending about $8k. I am not elligible for the Federal Pell Grant because my family makes too much money. I honestly don't see the reasoning behind this. If I am gonna have to owe the college that much, how in the world is my family making too much money for this? The Pell Grant is about $5k which would've helped tremendously....
    Steam ID: gentrytj
    Origin ID: gentrytj
    Gamertag: TJ McHoonigan
    PSN ID: TheWyzeMan
    Twitch.TV: TJ_McHoonigan

Thanks

You have to be very low income for a Pell grant. I have two in college this fall and one gets some $$ from his school but they only got an unsubsidized student loan. I just paid the fall tuition foe both of them today and am $29,000 poorer. This only covers 1st semester.

Thanks

i just graduated college in May, and i owe over $15 grand in student loans

i feel your pain
     White iPhone 3Gs - 32Gb 

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    You have to be very low income for a Pell grant. I have two in college this fall and one gets some $$ from his school but they only got an unsubsidized student loan. I just paid the fall tuition foe both of them today and am $29,000 poorer. This only covers 1st semester.
    Mine is only for the first semester also. I can't imagine how that must feel. I'm definitely not having more than one kid within a four or six year range.

Quote Originally Posted by nickswagger View Post
    i just graduated college in May, and i owe over $15 grand in student loans

i feel your pain
    At this rate, I'm going to owe $32k in my first two years... I'm going for four.

EDIT: I should also mention my school counselor cheated me out of a scholarship that was
    $10k a year for up to 10 years. She decided that she was going to give it to whom she felt *needed* it more rather than who deserved it. I bet she didn't think about the other kid being able to get a Pell Grant while I'm out of luck on it. I want to be there when God judges her for what she did and asks why she did what she did.
    Last edited by SharpieBandit; 08-03-2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Steam ID: gentrytj
    Origin ID: gentrytj
    Gamertag: TJ McHoonigan
    PSN ID: TheWyzeMan
    Twitch.TV: TJ_McHoonigan

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Well if you are going to spend that kind of money I hope you get a return on your investment. Most people don't however

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

If you're white, male, and between the ages of 18 and 25 you can kiss help goodbye.

Otherwise there's a grant for you somewhere. There are grants by organizations based on race, gender, religion, for pregant single mothers, indians, goverment cheese recipients, and anything else you can think of............. but there is no "average white guy" fund. (but be sure to get a good job because your taxes support the other grant programs you can't get).

So if you qualify for an "other" grant, better get to filling out that forum. If you are the A.W.G., better get to working those three jobs.
    Last edited by one1; 08-03-2009 at 10:24 PM.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

coloradoxmfan (07-29-2010), Wilbourn (07-26-2010)

Thanks

^ +1

Livin the iPhone Life NeoNightmareX's Avatar
    Thanks

I feel your pain. Annual cost of living on campus at my college for the 2009-2010 year:
    • Tuition: $35,828
    • Room & Board: $11,740
    • Books & Supplies: $1,050
    • Est. Personal Expenses: $1,135
    • Years I'll be in debt: Not enough numbers

$49,753/Year . So glad that I did well in high school. Knocked a good chunk off of that.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

Thanks

^ ouch

Thanks

The sad thing is you used to go to college, get a good job, life is but a dream.......

Now it's go to college, get in debt for ten years, get 8 years into paying for the debt and your dream job goes belly up when the company closes, attempt to get a new job, but kids are coming out of college with 8 years newer info than you are trained on and they'll work for half your salary. Go jobless with a degree for the next 2 years because of market saturation. Work flipping burgers at 30 yrs old with $8k debt left over in school bills while 24 yr olds are landing jobs because they'll work for nothing and are more qualified than you are with newer degrees, Then finally land a job like your old one only less pay and someone ten years younger is your boss. ...............Realize you spent all that time in school to make someone else rich and waste 15 years trying to pay off the debt you raised just so you would be qualified to work for someone else and jump when they say jump.

That was a great plan wasn't it?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

Wilbourn (07-26-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah I have about 50k in loans to pay off in the next decade or so.

HELL YEAH ENGINEERING

EDIT: Hahahah not only One1 beat me on the 10 year loan thing by ONE minute, he also seems to have describe with accurate detail my current career path.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Thanks

I was in college for refresher courses for electronics engineering in 2003 and in 2004 tuition doubled across the country because of some damn grant they started giving out that I wasn't qualified for. *finger*

Retired Moderator A Retired Mod's Avatar
    Thanks

Hell I have paid all my schooling back plus some....Now about to pay for my two daughters to go to school, and six more years left on my mortgage. Retirement is getting closer or is it???

Thanks

"School is for fools, look at me"

- Big Daddy

Thanks
    Thanked 9,533 Times in 5,851 Posts

My head is spinning reading this thread. It scares me, in what direction to we point our children.................

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    If you're white, male, and between the ages of 18 and 25 you can kiss help goodbye.

Otherwise there's a grant for you somewhere. There are grants by organizations based on race, gender, religion, for pregant single mothers, indians, goverment cheese recipients, and anything else you can think of............. but there is no "average white guy" fund. (but be sure to get a good job because your taxes support the other grant programs you can't get).

So if you qualify for an "other" grant, better get to filling out that forum. If you are the A.W.G., better get to working those three jobs.
    Interestingly, my underachieving dyslexic son gets a scholarchip from his college as long as he maintains a 2.67 GPA ( hes got one semester to get his grades up from a 2.43 before he loses $8,000 a year). My younger son who is just starting college this fall graduated a top high school with a 4.9 weighted GPA (3.9 unweighted). He is entering college with 32 AP credits in Calculus and sciences (Chemistry, Biology and both Physics) yet he is getting nothing in the way of a scholarship. His SAT scores werent hight enough. They wanted minimum 1250 combined math and reading and he "only had 1210, yet he had 4's and 5's on all his AP exams. His best friend, much less academically inclined was albe to play the SAT game and scored very high and got all kinds of money. Unfair.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Thanks

When my kids get old enough for college I'm forcing them to a public college if they choose to go at all. Actually they have a one year must go to college clause in their life contract. If they don't at least try it for a year I'm going to kill them. If after that year they decide it's not for them, they get to live.

But definitely it will be a public college. I went to a private school and got my BA in accounting and I never use it! I work as a software analyst in the medical field all for the lovely price of $25k a year for a degree I hardly used....

Thanks

I would have LOVED for my kids to go to public college- my oldest didnt get in- hes dyslexic and soemwhat mathematically challenged,and doesn't test well. His abysimally low math SAT score kept him out. He was accepted to a very good liberal arts college as a history major based on his other academic achievements and non math pursuits. My second son has some seious OCD and social anxiety issues and would not do well living in a dorm at a school with 40,000 students, unless he could be guaranteed a single room. The commuter state schools do not offer his major. Hes going in as a Chem. Engr.

Before anyone jumps on this- he is not waited on at home, not in the least. He does his own laundry and contributes to the houseold errands and chores. It is simply about living in a room with "other people". Most schools do not allow freshmen and often sophomores as well, to live off campus unless it is at home.

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I went to the university here for 2 years and got my aa before transferring to Chico State. Living at home and not having to buy groceries, etc my first two years saved me so much money. Luckily Chico still isnt too expensive of a school, but with California being bankrupt just a couple weeks ago they decided to take away my grant ($1200).... awesome. Luckily I have enough to cover it but for students relying on loans that means they had to come up with quite a bit of money in a matter of a couple weeks. Don't really see how they can do that so close to tuition due date.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I just graduated from UVM, which in recent years ranked at the top of the most expensive public schools.

My parents paid $39k per year for 4 years, I paid $5000. My student debt is $23k.

Total cost? $178,000.

I got 2 BS degrees, one in Biochemistry and the other in Molecular Genetics. I now sell computers for a living thanks to hiring freezes and the changing state of US healthcare.

It wasn't worth it.
    http://www.caseify.com
    Premium Cases for the iPhone 3G/3GS

23. The Following User Says Thank You to caseify For This Useful Post:

Kyle Matthews (07-26-2010)