Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone Unlocking perminently damages software?

Thanks

Default iPhone Unlocking perminently damages software?
    http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/005514.html

Your thoughts? By the way (off subject) anyone know a place to download iTunes 7.3? Thanks.

I'm very curious about this too. Above all, in case there is some truth to all this, how does one restore the iphone to factory condition? I've heard that a simple restore doesn't do that, is that true?

I wonder if this is just a scare tactic to scare potential unlockers off? Apple has sold countless iphones to customers who they knew did not live in the US (I've witnessed this in the Apple Stores) and who they knew was not going to sign up with ATT. If Apple deliberates ruins these iphones, I'm sure there will be a huge backlash and PR disaster.

Anyway, curious to hear what those who understand the unlocking software better think about this? Is there reason to be afraid?

Cheers!

i just wont update then.......doesnt matter to me if they add some crappy music store that i will never use

What happens if Leopard requires iTunes 7.5, and 7.5 insists on updating the iPhone? Could be scary times ahead for us.

Thanks

Personally, i really don't see the need for them to have to make our iPhones completely unable to work, i mean, i understand if they break the unlock, but really i don't think they should make the phone not work itself.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Apple says what they need to say to keep at&t happy.

Software update? tell me one thing that apple can add that has not already been hacked or WILL be hacked within say.... a months time (which is forever in hacking the iphone, things move at the speed of light).

Apple has seen hackers put out every program that they planned on releasing for the phone through time to keep people hanging on and following apples release line up so they'd stay excited about it.

Apple gave us nothing, and the hacks gave us everything. Apple's next update could not possibly include anything even remotely close to what the hackers have done so far, short of an itunes store which simply generates more money for apple - not really in the users common interest. We have Itunes, we have a sync cable, we have the option to not update.

Apple's statement is pure propaganda to keep at&t happy and try to discourage users from advancing their units past apples releases.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:

PaulE (09-24-2007)

I'll believe it when I see it. I have faith in the hacking community that where there's a will there's a way.
    They say that freedom isn't free, but these days it's become the most damn expensive thing in the world.

Thanks for that. It will be interesting to see what they include in their update - chances are that, as you say, it will not be what we really need anyway. We'll find out soon....and for now, my auto-update is off and my phone is great!

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
    Thanks for that. It will be interesting to see what they include in their update - chances are that, as you say, it will not be what we really need anyway. We'll find out soon....and for now, my auto-update is off and my phone is great!

cheers!
    where do u turn off auto update?

EDIT.....nevermind i found out how......thanks
    Last edited by indiscretion; 09-24-2007 at 05:58 PM.