+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Preparing for Apple's war on unlockers?

is a discussion within the

Chit Chat

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
Apparently Apple is taking the hardline on unlockers and hackers: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070924/aqm208.html?.v=5 What can we do to prepare? Just in case, is restoring the iphone via itunes really returning it to
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Preparing for Apple's war on unlockers?
    Apparently Apple is taking the hardline on unlockers and hackers:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070924/aqm208.html?.v=5

What can we do to prepare? Just in case, is restoring the iphone via itunes really returning it to its 100% original state, or are any additional steps needed? I'd like to know just in case I decide to cave and sign up with ATT if this all becomes too dangerous and I risk ruining my iphone.

Or, is this just a scare tactic to get people to stop??? Anybody in the know care to comment?

Thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

it doesn't say that they're cracking down on us, it just says that they don't give a rats behind if you do something stupid that f's up your phone. Their stand is still the same, do what you want, but we're not fixing it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Kitsune's Avatar
    Thanks

Honestly, I think the best bet would to use a hardware unlocking method, but how many people actually have soldering skill with small expensive phones?

I highly doubt it is a scare tactic. It's logical, but like every other piece of software, if Apple updates to a new firmware, individuals will make their own updates to unlocking software.

And so the world turns.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
    Apparently Apple is taking the hardline on unlockers and hackers:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070924/aqm208.html?.v=5

What can we do to prepare? Just in case, is restoring the iphone via itunes really returning it to its 100% original state, or are any additional steps needed? I'd like to know just in case I decide to cave and sign up with ATT if this all becomes too dangerous and I risk ruining my iphone.

Or, is this just a scare tactic to get people to stop??? Anybody in the know care to comment?

Thanks
    I think you've got your facts wrong here. Yes, Apple is going to give us a firmware update, and there will hopefully be more in the future! The update will update the phone from the condition it "should" be in to whatever next step Apple has prepared. If you change the current state of the iPhone, then the update will probably not be able to update it because the files it wants to update are missing/moved/changed. It's not Apple's job to work around our hacks for their updates, and it would be impossible for them to do so anyway. This is one of the reasons Apple has kept the architecture closed so far, it can't guarantee that the phone will continue to work or update properly if it is hacked.

So, instead of accusing Apple of spoiling your fun, take it upon yourself to do what you have to do keep your iPhone running. I would suggest backing up any changes you've made, if you don't already know how to do that, you probably shouldn't be making changes. Then, when the update comes out, try it on your hacked phone. If it works, great, if not, restore the phone, apply the update, and then try adding your hacks back in. If you do have to restore it to get the update to take, then I would strongly suggest waiting to install your hacks. This way, you can lurk around the forums and see what experiences others are having and possibly let someone else find the bugs and things that don't work after the update.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I understand that Apple can't accommodate hacks and unlocks when they are working on updates - I wouldn't expect them too. I felt the way the article was written indicated that something terrible would happen if people try to update - as opposed to a warning saying that the new firmware/softrware cannot be installed because files are missing/modified or whatever. Surely Apple could do that, rather than threaten that our phones will be inoperable?

Also, Apple has played an important part in selling these phones without require activation on the spot. They also seldom remind customers that ATT is required - isn't nasty to quietly take people's money knowing full well that many of them will be unlocked and later 'inoperable' ? the Apple Stores on the east and west coasts are packed with tourists buying the iphone, people who are paying with foreign credit cards and who are obviously taking them home with them.

My main question though is how to restore an iphone to the exact factory condition it came in? Is a simple restore enough, or does one need to do something else?

Thanks,

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Correct, apple isn't starting a war, they're actually being nice and giving us a heads up that there's a new update coming out, and it's probably going to break some of our wonderful new toys. So that lets us prepare for the upcoming update. No worries folks, they haven't decided to be idiots yet. (this being said in the context of the current conversation, not as apple as a whole. Please don't turn this into some stupid sensationalistic/flaming troll thread. kthxbye)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I do apologise for using the word 'war' in my title. That was how it felt when I read the article, but of course it's extreme. Sorry.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Watch the keynote... look at their website... look at the instructions that come with the phone. They all say at&t is needed. Plus, in order to unlock the phone... you have to HACK it. That should be an indication that perhaps... maybe... a problem might arise due to this HACK. Don't start crying over the poor souls that have gone out of their way to modify their iPhone. It's done at a risk and a cost, you should accept that before you start tooling around.

Also... just because someone is from another country, that doesn't mean that they're going to necessarily be buying the phone for themselves. It could be a gift for a loved one or friend that lives in the US. Plz try to keep the facts straight, and not twist them so that the evil corporation is trying to quietly steal from the people. All the press release is saying is that they're going to release an update... Hacks might break (which they've said before), and if you unlock the phone, it might not work out so great if you run the update... and oh btw, if you're an idiot... you might have completely screwed yourself by messing with Hacks in the first place. (because you'll never figure out how to fix it)

-- I'm starting to feel trollish -sigh- I'm stopping now.
    Last edited by arachnode; 09-24-2007 at 04:40 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Look, I'm not trying to twist anything. However, go to the NYC 5th Ave store and check out who is buying iphones and how many are tourists. Sure, it may be that some of them are just getting them for friends here, but given that we know that many people are already using them abroad, it's logical to assume that they go them in the U.S. which is the only place to buy them as of today. Who knows how many, but judging by the daily flow of people in that one store alone, I bet you there are lots.

Thanks

Im a little worried about this, i was on AT&T, unlocked it, tried T-Mobile, didn't like it, restored it, then went back to AT&T, Should i be worried since it is no longer unlocked?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey i got an idea, why not just NOT UPDATE? I've got the current firmware backed up along with iTunes. I'm not worried, i'll let the more adventures guys try stuff first

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Yes, indeed. Switching off auto-update solves it all! For now.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think you worriers are maybe making a tempest in a teapot.

The fact is that Apple wants to sell me hardware...I bought it. T-Mobile wants me to stay in their network...I have.

The only entity that is pissed off in this equation is AT+T and I have no relationship with them and they have no domain over me or the phone/updates.

I spoke with both an Apple rep and a T-Mobile rep and both said essentially that the official party line is, "Rock on, kids." The worst I could get out of the Apple guy was a weak, "Well, you're losing some functionality..."

There are, of course, no guarantees. But I'd say Jobs has zero interest in pissing off loyal customers (to whit: the $100 money-back whoops.)

My opinion: there's a *reason* you don't have to sign up for AT+T service in the store. No coincidences here.