+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: SSH Question

is a discussion within the

Chit Chat

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
Since you can SSH from your PC to your iPhone via a wireless connection does this mean that anyone could connect to my iphone if I am on a wireless
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default SSH Question
    Since you can SSH from your PC to your iPhone via a wireless connection does this mean that anyone could connect to my iphone if I am on a wireless network?

Could my phone get hacked like this? just a thought.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

you need to change the master password asap..

yes its a target since all hackers know the master password is dottie.

do a search and ye shall find your answers.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I using windoes at home. Is it as easy as logging into my phone via ssh and issuing the "passwd" command.

I have googles it and see many different methods. Some saying to replace the whole master password file.

Any Suggestions?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default yes, its that easy
    yes, it is as easy as just typing the "passwd" command once you have SSH'd into the iPhone as root.

I tested this by trying it out, and then logging in via another session to localhost, works fine.

As a side note, I believe other people have stated that the iPhone shuts down communications such as SSH when the phone is locked, so I believe that means that its only "open" for login when you are using it. There are scripts that people have made for Tapp that will assist you in turning the SSH daemon on and off, which would also protect from someone logging into your phone when you arent changing something on it or using that functionality.

My only question is if by changing the password it will break some other package somewhere that expects the default word. I'll keep an eye out for that....

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deinos View Post
    yes, it is as easy as just typing the "passwd" command once you have SSH'd into the iPhone as root.

I tested this by trying it out, and then logging in via another session to localhost, works fine.

As a side note, I believe other people have stated that the iPhone shuts down communications such as SSH when the phone is locked, so I believe that means that its only "open" for login when you are using it. There are scripts that people have made for Tapp that will assist you in turning the SSH daemon on and off, which would also protect from someone logging into your phone when you arent changing something on it or using that functionality.

My only question is if by changing the password it will break some other package somewhere that expects the default word. I'll keep an eye out for that....
    great it worked fine...