+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I took the Blue-Ray plunge!

is a discussion within the

Chit Chat

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
So for Xmas I got a PS3 for playing blue-ray movies (and gaming if I get bored). I went and purchased my LG 6X Blue-Ray burner ($279 - ugh!!!) today
    Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Default I took the Blue-Ray plunge!
    So for Xmas I got a PS3 for playing blue-ray movies (and gaming if I get bored). I went and purchased my LG 6X Blue-Ray burner ($279 - ugh!!!) today and a 25 pack of discs off ebay ($109 - double ugh!!). So I won't be "backing up" the 12 DVD's week that I was before due to cost issues... but I'll burn then GOOD ones on blue-ray.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

You better have a nice TV to play Blue-ray on to give it justice.

And get Planet Earth.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Wow! I wish those prices would come down a lot! Then I will take the plunge. From what I have seen though you will enjoy it and find it hard to watch non BluRay disks.

Thanks

Buy "The Prestige," all the Pixar stuff (well, you can pass on "Pixar Shorts vol.1"), "Blade Runner" (CCE), "Apocalypto," "3:10 to Yuma," and, well, "First Blood" (not the best PQ but it's still an excellent movie). I'm sure that I'll think of MUCH more...

Of course, there's also the two Bale/Nolan Batman films (the first has inferior PQ) and Iron Man if you are into those. I have yet to see Event Horizon on BD... the effects are obviously dated even on DVD but I am crossingmy fingers and hoping that it's a keeper.

FWIW, I watch A TON of BD movies and I just wish I could force every BD owner to buy "The Prestige" and "Apocalypto" if I had to pick two.
    Last edited by CZroe; 01-17-2009 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Next year the price will justify the purchase for me. I'm just siting on my hands waiting for the internal BR drives to get cheap for the Mac's. I don't want it for premium quality movies, I want it for storage purposes. When I can bring down the size of my DVD music backup pile that is stuffed with 4 gig of music per dvd times umpteen dvd's equalling 190gb I'll feel I am getting my moneys worth in the BR.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

Well, that's partially why I bought into Blu-Ray. FWIW, in contrast to the PS3, the quality from my HTPC doesn't impress me despite being digital all the way (even got the internal digital audio cable to output from the video card's HDMI). Anandtech explains the audio issues (it doesn't pass the RAW encoded audio) but that doesn't explain how the PC's black levels are worse on the same TV (Sony KDL-52XBR2). It's using Power DVD's BD decoder. Also, the PS3 seems to be the most refined player in other ways... all others CHOKE when fast-forwarding while the PS3 has enough unused processing power to play the video liquid smooth with pitch-corrected audioup to 1.5x (you can blow through documentaries this way). It's just that damned remote that bothers me... I can't believe that the Bluetooth SIG allows them to use the Bluetooth logo when it doesn't conform to an industry-standard profile (AVRCP even makes accomodations for proprietary buttons). It's supposed to be a symbol of interoperability! We ought to have universal remotes + Bluetooth but Sony killed that.

Retired Moderator A Retired Mod's Avatar
    Thanks

I am looking at buying a Blue-Ray....any suggestion?

Thanks

It's "Blu"-Ray guys. "Blu" is more trademark-able than "Blue."

Quote Originally Posted by Zwayne View Post
    I am looking at buying a Blue-Ray....any suggestion?
    Do you mean buying a "Blue-Ray" player? The Playstation 3 (PS3) is still the best player but it's no longer the cheapest. It may be the better option if you actually play games. There are some $130-150 players in Best Buy, Target, and Wal-Mart, but expect them to have long load times, limited upgradability, limited audio decode support*, and jerky fast-forward/rewind.

*really, that's a surround-sound receiver's job and most BDs have an uncompressed track anyway

Or did you mean buying a "Blue-Ray" movie? I already made some recommendations and I stand by The Prestige and Apocalypto as the two that anyone should start with. Ratatoullie or Wall-e also if you'll give them a chance. Cars is great too, though it's a tad less "appealing to everyone" as the other Disney-Pixar fare.
    Last edited by CZroe; 01-19-2009 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks

I'm amazed half the people here think it's called blue ray
    Last edited by redcard; 01-19-2009 at 02:59 PM.
    To live, you have to lie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    I'm amazed half the people here think it's called blue ray
    oh dear, lol
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Thanks

For $109 you could buy a 1TB drive and download blu-ray movies for free and just stream them to your PS3. Then there is no need to even swap discs...

Retired Moderator A Retired Mod's Avatar
    Thanks

O' well I made a mistake....Blu-Ray player.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SupahDave View Post
    For $109 you could buy a 1TB drive and download blu-ray movies for free and just stream them to your PS3. Then there is no need to even swap discs...
    The vast majority of those are not original Blu-Ray encodes. There are two different standards for Blu-Ray disc format... BDAV and BDMV. One is for commercially ripped, encoded, and encrypted discs manufactured in a pressing factory while the other is for 1080p camcorders, recorders, PCs, etc (home movies, basically; menus and such are supported with less "interactivity"). You could not burn your own 1:1 copy of a Blu-Ray rip and expect the menus and all the special features to work because it is out of specification for home-authored discs. A movie-only rip that hasn't been re-encoded is actually not supposed to work either but older software BD players and the PS3 still allow it in certain container formats. The majority of "Blu-Ray" downloads are just re-encoded HD videos sourced from a Blu-Ray rip. Even at the same resolution, re-encoding for smaller file sizes defeats the point of high-bitrate HD... you might as well be watching crappy over-compressed "HD" satellite TV. Frankly, if that's "OK" to you or you can't see the difference, your opinion isn't important (sorry).

Even if downloads were every bit as good, at least Blu-Ray is in a format you can "own" and collect (important for movie lovers). If you just want to watch the latest "blockbuster" for free, it's fine for that (not speaking legally) but be aware that that's not all there is to the market. You see, there are these things called "classics" that still matter too. These are still "worth" something even if you have seen them.

I have a PS3 and my brother works for the local ISP. I'll admit that I've downloaded quite a bit of HD content (both legally and, well, illegitimate but I had reasons) and streamed them to my PC as well as converted formats without re-encoding but my Blu-ray collection is ever growing and nothing I have seen can can compare.