Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PARENTS: would this convince you?

Thanks
    Default PARENTS: would this convince you?
    Hii! I go to Portage High School in Indiana. I really hate my school. The students as well as the teachers are disrespectful. I feel I am not learning much. I want to transfer to a school that's just a town over. They have better test scores, less fights/drugs, and they're also going to a bigger school after this Christmas break. I flat out asked if I could transfer and without another word my dad said no, not even letting me explain anything. I have created a PowerPoint that I am going to present to my parents tonight or tomorrow. Tell me what you think. I also want to share that I don't talk to my parents and they are usually never home. Thanks!

PowerPoint on SlideShare.com
    no signature spam... Please

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

my pos computer here at work needs a flash update to watch your so i cant comment on your presentation. however i think it is very mature of you to make these considerations for your own benefit. i always tell the kids i work with that highschool may seem like a big deal socially but life doesnt really start until college. make the right decisions early and you wont have to make corrections later on down the road. for me personally highschool was all about hanging out with friends and hookin' up with girls... frankly not enough studying. because of it i had a lot of catching up to do when i should have been graduated. i'll check out the presentation later tonight, good luck.

great slideshow, good luck, let us know what your parents decide

spelling mistake on slide 2 IT'T should be IT'S

take care,

good luck. if your parents care anything about your education they will let you switch. a good school is very important and you dont need negativity around when your trying to learn and get ready for the real world. great presentation
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

My iPhone is a Part of Me IvanPK's Avatar
    Thanks

I think some issues to consider are:
    Is the new school public or private?
    How far away is the new school? Can you use School Transportation?
    Honestly, before you show the powerpoint, ask your parents to explain why they feel you cannot transfer, then show the powerpoint.
    However, if the move does not work, going to this type of school could be beneficial. For example, if everyone else in the classroom slacks off, and doesn't do their work, you could excel while if you were just 'one in the crowd', you might not stand out as much, and might get a lesser grade. Just saying...

Hope everything works out man.

P.S.
    One of your 'notable alumni's' is Track Palin - Son of Sarah Palin, Republican vice presidential nominee of John McCain
    just thought that was funny
    Last edited by IvanPK; 12-10-2008 at 09:00 PM. Reason: lol

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Slide 2 spelling error IT'T
    Slide 4 leave the sarcasm out, point out only the positive about the transfer. See if you can get stats on how many from each move on to higher education, SAT scores and so on.
    Slide 5 what is the source for the data?
    Slide 6 too much opinion, almost whining, not quite but almost.
    Slide 7 consider a bullet structure.
    How do you know the new school would be better?
    What do you wan tto get out of the classes?
    Do your grade show you are starving for more of a challenge?
    Do you participate in any programs, clubs or other after activities?

Other comments by slide.
    It is commendable you are looking into ensuring you get the best education for yourself. Reading the presentation you may want to focus on a few more positives about the new school.
    Spending the night over freinds house is a a commitment. Is there a contingency plan if you can no longer stay at your friends place?

have you talked to your guidance counselor? They may be able to assist you in identifying the pros supporting the transfer.

Slide 2
    Classes will have a mixed audience of under and upper classmen. Having the opportunity in such a diverse learning environment is something that is not currently available to me. This opportunity can be related to the juniour engineer sitting in the design meetings of the more senior engineers, a sort of mentoring if you will.
    Slide 3
    Having the opportunity to attend a new school, with the latest technology and newest learning tools will provide a better learning experience.
    I will not be the only student entering a new school. All the students will be walking into a new building. We will all be working together and helping eachother finding our way around. This will be an excellent example of teamwork and exercise in problem solving.
    Slide 6
    Sources would help.
    Students are bullied by teachers? Interesting, that may prove to be a positive to your parents. It may be construded as discipline.
    Students are learning at the best possible quality?
    have you compared the syllabus' between the two schools? If you are getting C's then there may be an argument you are not putting in the efforts to meet the lower standards of your current school.
    The Smoking thing that's a tough one. Could you possibly te that into how it affects your learning?
    Texting? Are you part of the group texting? If not how does that affect you?
    Slide 8 that is going to be a tough sell, especially if you are not getting an A in that class.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by bruinsrme; 12-10-2008 at 10:48 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

I found it interesting you live in India yet you made a presentation entirely in English for your parents. Is English the predominant language in your household or did you just translate for us?

Good luck, let us know if it convinced your parents

Quote Originally Posted by bruinsrme View Post
    Slide 2 spelling error IT'T
    Slide 4 leave the sarcasm out, point out only the positive about the transfer. See if you can get stats on how many from each move on to higher education, SAT scores and so on.
    Slide 5 what is the source for the data?
    Slide 6 too much opinion, almost whining, not quite but almost.
    Slide 7 consider a bullet structure.
    How do you know the new school would be better?
    What do you wan tto get out of the classes?
    Do your grade show you are starving for more of a challenge?
    Do you participate in any programs, clubs or other after activities?

Other comments by slide.
    It is commendable you are looking into ensuring you get the best education for yourself. Reading the presentation you may want to focus on a few more positives about the new school.
    Spending the night over freinds house is a a commitment. Is there a contingency plan if you can no longer stay at your friends place?

have you talked to your guidance counselor? They may be able to assist you in identifying the pros supporting the transfer.

Slide 2
    Classes will have a mixed audience of under and upper classmen. Having the opportunity in such a diverse learning environment is something that is not currently available to me. This opportunity can be related to the juniour engineer sitting in the design meetings of the more senior engineers, a sort of mentoring if you will.
    Slide 3
    Having the opportunity to attend a new school, with the latest technology and newest learning tools will provide a better learning experience.
    I will not be the only student entering a new school. All the students will be walking into a new building. We will all be working together and helping eachother finding our way around. This will be an excellent example of teamwork and exercise in problem solving.
    Slide 6
    Sources would help.
    Students are bullied by teachers? Interesting, that may prove to be a positive to your parents. It may be construded as discipline.
    Students are learning at the best possible quality?
    have you compared the syllabus' between the two schools? If you are getting C's then there may be an argument you are not putting in the efforts to meet the lower standards of your current school.
    The Smoking thing that's a tough one. Could you possibly te that into how it affects your learning?
    Texting? Are you part of the group texting? If not how does that affect you?
    Slide 8 that is going to be a tough sell, especially if you are not getting an A in that class.

Best of luck.
    For the love of God he isn't entering a PhD program... it sounds like he is entering 9th grade!
    Last edited by sziklassy; 12-11-2008 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I found it interesting you live in India yet you made a presentation entirely in English for your parents. Is English the predominant language in your household or did you just translate for us?

Good luck, let us know if it convinced your parents
    Haha. IndiaNA, G. Indiana...
    Respect your elders.

^^^^HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. good god that is HILARIOUS!!! almost as good as self destruct 3g! hahahaha

Thanks

LOL. Much less outlandish, though... The first time I read through it I thought I saw "India" for a moment, as well.
    Respect your elders.

ALL DAY heres your modified signature. hope you like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -iphone3pro.jpg  

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cricketlang For This Useful Post:

ALL DAY (12-11-2008)

Thanks

Thanks a lot, man. You didn't have to do that! (Random place to post it, by the way; you could have just sent it in the PM or at least put it in the Graphic Art Thread. Just messing with you.)

Thanks again!
    Respect your elders.

i cant pm the actual file (it wouldnt let me) and this was the first place i saw you post after i finished it. well im pretty sure im the king of hijacking posts anyway so i gotta keep my image right?

Thanks

^Haha... Okay, I see. Naturally...

Much appreciated!
    Respect your elders.

Thanks

As a parent, here's my take. You sound pompous. You sound less convincing and more arrogant, as if you're trying to get back at your parents for something.

Also as a parent, it seems to me that there's always two sides to a kid's story. I wonder what the other side is?

Thanks

LMAO... wow... dunno why I read India, heh.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    As a parent, here's my take. You sound pompous. You sound less convincing and more arrogant, as if you're trying to get back at your parents for something.

Also as a parent, it seems to me that there's always two sides to a kid's story. I wonder what the other side is?
    You sound like my wife and I. The other side of the story usually provides the details needed to make the best decisions.
    1. His friends are going to the other school. ++++
    2. He is pointing out his teachers are not teaching him.
    He is not in honors or advanced classes. If I had to guess a C student and has a beef with the English teacher because the teacher is trying to push/motivate them and/or the course is demanding and the sudent is not doing the assignments and is texting all day long poking at the teacher. +++++
    3. He may simply want to attend the new school. Nah

My previous post would be exactly what I would have expected my son to present to us before we would have entertained such a request. (facts and not hearsay or whining)
    When I said data we had already pulled it so we knew what that ws all about.
    We listened to our son, then spoke to the teacher.
    Our son was right once, and we stood by him.
    When it came to grades 100 times out of 100 he didn't do his homework, complete assignment, or did poorly on tests. When the class average was higher than 85% and he scores in the 50's or 60's he is not doing his job.

I explained to him his job is school and his achievements will be reflected in the things he gets or wants to do. Better grades more things. Just like in real life. You perform great you get a big raise/promotion, average performance gets a little, poor performance (since I can't pull him out of school, he got things taken away TV, Xbox, internet, any thing that would tap into the discretionary funds).

He pulled some good stuff going through k-12. He never caught on that my wife and I had been there and done all that and more.

Stepping off the box, thank you if you read the rant.
    Last edited by bruinsrme; 12-11-2008 at 01:22 PM.

last page is bad. fact that you have to sleep at your friends house sometimes, just to get to school..not good.

also having to give your parents a powerpoint? weird.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I love the fact he put a presentation together. That would be a big plus in my eyes.
    If it was my son I would have kicked it back to him and tell him to tell me why he should transfer not what he didn't like about his current school.

Thanks

I think alot of you are making the assumption that this kid's parents are intelligent and well-informed. The fact of the matter is that all too many parents are NOT well informed at all. What we have to work off of is what he tells us, assume THAT is 100% true, and not the contrary. We were told that his parents essentially shot down his request to begin with. We were given no reason to assume his parents did any research. His statement that he spends little time with his parents, to me, is a cry for help. If his dad is anything like my dad was (and thank god he is out of my life now) I can see where he is coming from. We just don't know...

As to the "pompous and arrogant" comment... I don't see it. In any case, parents need to get over the fact that their kids will challenge their decisions. He is giving reasons why he should be able to make the move. If his parents simply say "because I said so" I find that more pompous and arrogant than a kid trying to pull facts to strengthen his points. The parents in this channel seem to be leaning more towards "the parents are always right" attitude. YOU may always know what is best for your kids but I ASSURE you ALL parents do not...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast