+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Small Screen Resolution... BIG Time.

is a discussion within the

Chit Chat

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
Ok so we had an old laptop that had been running XP. We've had it since XP first came out and I found a copy of XP Pro and I
    Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Small Screen Resolution... BIG Time.
    Ok so we had an old laptop that had been running XP. We've had it since XP first came out and I found a copy of XP Pro and I installed it and the screen that shows is only a quater of the entire LCD screen! Did I do something wrong?

I'm in the process of clean installing XP Pro again, but this time I am reformatting the C drive. I hope that will fix my problem. I've attached pics, taken with my iPhone, to help show you what I mean. How do I fix this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Small Screen Resolution... BIG Time.-img_0022.jpg   Small Screen Resolution... BIG Time.-img_0023.jpg   Small Screen Resolution... BIG Time.-img_0024.jpg  
    Steam ID: gentrytj
    Origin ID: gentrytj
    Gamertag: TJ McHoonigan
    PSN ID: TheWyzeMan
    Twitch.TV: TJ_McHoonigan

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

did you install drivers for your video card?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

SharpieBandit (10-24-2008)

Thanks

Uh.... No.... I did the same thing with this same cd and didn't have to install any drivers on my teachers laptop. It booted up without a hitch.

Thanks

check to see if you have a alt screen function on your keyboard, some dell laptops do this sometimes , if not check your bios screen

edit: yea, i just saw your screen shot and that's definitely the dell that has a keyboard function for the video
    thanx button in advanced
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

6. The Following User Says Thank You to z3r01 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Um but I'm trying the button that says "CRT/LCD" and it's not doing crap. And yes I am hitting the Fn key.

Thanks

seriously jsut try and update you video card drivers...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Alright. Except I can't connect to the Internet from that laptop and I have no clue as to what video card is in it....

Thanks

That makes things fun....
    Connect with another computer and do a search online for the laptop's model number... that should get you the info you need. You can also try doing the following google search: "<model number> display drivers" Obviously just type the model number where I wrote model number.

EDIT: another thing you can do (just as a test) is plug a monitor into your video out and see if it is doing the same thing. At least this way you will know it is your video card, and most probably drivers.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Alright then. I've found the video driver that I think I need. Now, I'm assuming I need to find the other drivers too? Like to be able to use my ethernet cable and/or Belkin WirelessG card.... Heh....

Thanks

Probably, yes... I would just give them a try before I go searching for too long. I know I had a hell of a time getting drivers on my mom's old lappy for one of the wireless G cards, but I eventually found it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Ok then. The Dell Support page is giving me hell right now. My connection keeps timing out. I think they just know that I'm on my newer HP running Vista :]

Thanks

LOL... it pains me that you have an HP though

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The Dell support page is where you need to be. The laptop should have a service key sticker on it which you will input into the Dell page to bring up all the specs and driver downloads.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

And why is that? Other than two of my friends computers, this is the best computer I've ever used, desktop or laptop.

Btw, Dell Support sucks....

Thanks

Every hp i have ever owned has failed me... be that desktop, laptop, printer, camera... i finally just quit. I was required to get a tablet PC for school and the best deal Best Buy had was HP. Against my better judgement I got it... here are the problems...

After 6 weeks there is a line of stuck pixels on the left side of the screen
    Sound is popping with wifi turned on
    Sometimes takes up to 3.5 minutes (yes i counted) for the thing to load...

If you are having success, great for you. Maybe HP thinks I am evil and is trying to push me to my limit so I will finally commit.

EDIT: My judgement was NOT poor enough not to buya warranty. I took that POS back to best buy and they are "checking it out" now. Will be getting one of the new MacBooks sintead and looking elsewhere for a tablet.

Thanks

I would very much like to have a Macbook Pro, but alas I still live with my parents.

Anyway, I know that the laptop I am working on at least has sound. Well, the Dells at where I worked over the summer are crap. A total of 5 laptops had to have their screens replaced.

This is my second HP computer. The only other HP I've used was way back on Windows Millennium Edition... Its collecting dust in the corner and its guts that were any good are in a Gateway over in the room behind me....

EDIT: Ah crap. Does anyone know what the driver could be called to be able to use an Ethernet cable?
    Last edited by SharpieBandit; 10-24-2008 at 03:59 PM.

Thanks

a network card/NIC card driver, or Ethernet driver, perhaps
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

23. The Following User Says Thank You to dale1v For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Oh thanks. I kinda figured the "Ethernet Driver" one though lol. I've finally gotten our old laptop running again. Thanks everybody.

Thanks

make sure you burn a copy of all those drivers on a cd so you won't have to go thru all that fiasco again