View Poll Results: How Long Until A New Member Can Post?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

3 33.33%
  • 1 Hour

2 22.22%
  • 3 Hours

0 0%
  • 24 Hours

4 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How Long Until A New Member Can Post?

Thanks

Default How Long Until A New Member Can Post?
    I thought I would through this out there, as I am and sure a lot of other member are sick & tired of the same old threads coming up, on questions/problems that have been covered many times in the past.

I think new members should be made to wait at least 1 hour until they can post, what I mean by this is, use the search tool to find there answer to there query's, which has most likely already been answered.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

so they regeister and wait an hour b4 posting .....I went to a forum once that when new members registered try could only post in a new members area until a certain amount of posts

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it's a pretty good idea. It will weed out the people that join and never come back.

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

Once someone becomes a member of a forum, he/she should be able to post immediately. Not being able to post with an urgent question might be enough to drive the new member away. Enough of this elitist crap.

I do agree about the importance of using the search option first, though. But since the search module hasn't worked for me in weeks (it can't seem to find posts on any words I'm looking for -- must be a bug somewhere), good luck with that. For instance, I just tried two separate searches -- one for "iphone," and the other for "unlock." No results.
    Last edited by Napoleon_PhoneApart; 10-21-2008 at 08:37 AM.

Do you really think keeping them from posting is going to force them to use the "search" button?

They can search without being a member....if it doesnt happen then, well.......

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

Napoleon_PhoneApart (10-21-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post
    Once someone becomes a member of a forum, he/she should be able to post immediately.
    Says who?
    To live, you have to lie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post
    I But since the search module hasn't worked for me in weeks
    Yeah, it's screwed for some reason, add * behind each word and it will work normally

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dale1v For This Useful Post:

LMAO , like guns five day's waiting period

Livin the iPhone Life mr.sparky's Avatar
    Thanks

24 hr that will also cut down on the spaming scamming

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    Says who?
    Says common sense.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 461am For This Useful Post:

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    Says who?
    Says me. This is a poll, after all, looking for opinions. Stop being arrogant, Redcard - it gets old.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

As stated above... you don't even have to be a member to use the search bar so it doesn't really change anything.

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

idk, i like this idea but i dont. i agree with the whole repeated posts thing but i also agree that it might drive members away. maybe something like they have to search a few times before they post or something.

^^As nice as that might be....it would be impossible to implement correctly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

When the search works on this forum it is hit or miss either way. How the heck do you search iphone on an iphone site..... *your search returned 834,398 hits*

Customize *3,494 hits*, Unlock iPhone *234876234765324876354 hits*

Most of the words on this site crossover to every thread. The problem is the terminology on the iPhone is similar in almost every respect. Where most forums have problems and posts relevant to only one aspect of a part of an item, the iPhone is a single entity so every post applies to it.

The only way to cut down on the issues with not being able to properly search for answers is to provide clearly labeled FAQ's and common Q&A in obvious spots so they can be seen. Lock the thread so it cannot be posted to, and if there is still an issue let them start a thread.

This was semi attempted with the WIKI, but it only covers certain subjects and isn't very user friendly to most. A good long FAQ covering everything you've seen come up "Reasonably frequently" then stickied to the top of each forum will be the most help to anyone.

Best way to do that without too much reinventing the wheel would be to find at least three GOOD threads with lot's of info on the subject for each topic. Like 3 threads on Customize that highlight the issues and find solutions, then the final thread stating that it is now dead and canot be used. 3 threads on QuickPwn that address the most common issues. Link those threads in the FAQ so people have options to find issues with their problem.

Most useful of all this is YOU. Everyone wants to complain and no one wants to take action. Get to it...... find three threads on every subject that frequently comes up for hot topics such as unlocking, software programs that are constantly being asked about, common issues, and whatever else that fills this forum daily with common questions and POST THE LINKS WITH A DESCRIPTION here. We'll compile them all into an FAQ thread to be put in the forums.

In other words, quit complaining and do something.

Thanks

I'm up for it.

Thanks

Someone shoud do a prepare a big pie chart detailing all first posts, and see how useless the are.
    To live, you have to lie

Thanks

[QUOTE=one1;2513471]Like this one:

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/install...p-sources.html

AAA+ Nice Find!
    iPhone 4 | iMac 24" | MacBook Pro 15" | ATV | iPod Classic | Time Capsule | iPad 16 Gb |

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    When the search works on this forum it is hit or miss either way. How the heck do you search iphone on an iphone site..... *your search returned 834,398 hits*

Customize *3,494 hits*, Unlock iPhone *234876234765324876354 hits*

Most of the words on this site crossover to every thread. The problem is the terminology on the iPhone is similar in almost every respect. Where most forums have problems and posts relevant to only one aspect of a part of an item, the iPhone is a single entity so every post applies to it.

The only way to cut down on the issues with not being able to properly search for answers is to provide clearly labeled FAQ's and common Q&A in obvious spots so they can be seen. Lock the thread so it cannot be posted to, and if there is still an issue let them start a thread.

This was semi attempted with the WIKI, but it only covers certain subjects and isn't very user friendly to most. A good long FAQ covering everything you've seen come up "Reasonably frequently" then stickied to the top of each forum will be the most help to anyone.

Best way to do that without too much reinventing the wheel would be to find at least three GOOD threads with lot's of info on the subject for each topic. Like 3 threads on Customize that highlight the issues and find solutions, then the final thread stating that it is now dead and canot be used. 3 threads on QuickPwn that address the most common issues. Link those threads in the FAQ so people have options to find issues with their problem.

Most useful of all this is YOU. Everyone wants to complain and no one wants to take action. Get to it...... find three threads on every subject that frequently comes up for hot topics such as unlocking, software programs that are constantly being asked about, common issues, and whatever else that fills this forum daily with common questions and POST THE LINKS WITH A DESCRIPTION here. We'll compile them all into an FAQ thread to be put in the forums.

In other words, quit complaining and do something.
    I suggested a similar idea and not everyone agreed with it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast