Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Any High School Students?

Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Thanks

Shut up...

11th grade. Live in Orange County. Play water polo.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heath_rox View Post
    im 15.........
    ........but you're Australian so upside down that's 51.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reako View Post
    If I were you, I would suggestively urge him to at least apply to Penn. I'm originally from Southern NJ, where our schools weren't considered very "prestine." I did my best in school, and did very well on most standardized tests. BUT, just an FYI to you and your son, my SAT scores were a variable nightmare. Math = perfect 800, Verbal = 640. You can see the numerical difference is very noticeable. I am a Math and Science wiz, with a minor education in English/Verbal majors. I try my best, but I just don't easily succeed in them. I went to Va Tech my first year of school for Architecture, until my parents pleaded that I come back closer to home, where I shot for the sky applying to Penn, and to my astonishment, was accepted with an academic scholarship and a small athletic scholarship (Played Tennis). So when he is searching for the right school, it is not overlooked to shoot for the skies when applying to schools, but just make sure he has a few safe schools picked out to fall back on.

-And to one - I understand the urge for a Middle-Man job considering every trade in reality is needed to a certain extent. I may be an Architect, but how would my designs ever reach a reality effect without construction workers, carpenters, and even the delivery drivers to provide the materials. EVERY trade is needed, and should not be shunned. Some people enjoy sitting behind a cozy deskjob, but I worked my *** off at an Ivy-league school to get where I am at. It was also something I enjoyedand still enjoy doing. Others may not be school enthusiasts, so in effort to succeed they fall to a trade and do something they enjoy. All-in-all, the final motto is to not settle for anything, but to strive to do what you ENJOY. I did several trades throughout HS and college to pay for life, not to mention my own cars I build for track day, so I understand the work on all parts. Whether it be that desk job that I currently have, (Even though it certainly isn't as easy as people perceive), or the jobs that require more manual labor, people will do what makes their life seem substantial. None of it is easier than the other, but it's solely based on what you feel your life is for.

Reako
    We live in the western Philly suburbs, my kids' high school is listed in the US News best public high schools and happened to receive the Siemens award for AP excellence last year for Pennsylvania. This said, I trust my sons school grades as being not inflated. His test scores are not quite as good as yours though. He isnt quite as gifted verbally as he is mathematically, and even his math score was low relative to what he knows and does in school (690 math, 510 reading, 470 verbal). He also is not exactly into extracurriculars, what he does lay claim to is a second degree black belt in tawkwondo (working towards his 3rd degree) and he has worked part time as a Taekwondo instructor since he was 14. Thats it. No clubs, teams etc... Hes pretty introverted (somewhat socially anxious as well which he has been working on). I know at this point he would still need to take a second SAT subject test just to be considered at Penn, and they want one in a humanities subject. This was the turnoff for him. I had encouraged him to apply not only to Penn, but to RPI and Rochester as well. He wasnt sold on it. On the other hand, the other day we had a personal tour of the Chemical Engineering department at Villanova. (One of the profs is a colleague of mine). My son loved the facilities and also made a favorable impression.

As a parent we can only guide and encourage our kids. I have told al of my kids that nothing is ever etched in stone and they are always free to change their minds.

I appreciate your comments and advice!

If I've helped you, you can help me by clicking on that Thanks button.
    iPhone, the Swiss Army knife of the 21st Century.

My iPod is a Part of Me bteamer's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm 13 and in 8th grade. Lol. And josephali, I live in Orange County too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bteamer View Post
    And josephali,
    What does that mean? Or is it your name?

Livin the iPhone Life heath_rox's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    ha ha ha i wish
    "Its better to be a pirate than join the navy"Steve Jobs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bteamer View Post
    I'm 13 and in 8th grade. Lol. And josephali, I live in Orange County too.
    we should all create an OC group!

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    no, it's .
    Last edited by Chase817; 10-18-2008 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

Thanks

461AM josephali posted like three above me saying he/she lives in orange county

Thanks

Wow, that's it. No more coffee. I'm going crazy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 461am View Post
    Wow, that's it. No more coffee. I'm going crazy.
    lol. Too late.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    LOL! DOesnt everyone know that only real women know how to handle a stick?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALL DAY View Post
    As long as Miguel can blow...he's straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhz1 View Post
    I dread that first dusting of the white stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    ready for a romp buddy? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I personally love how you stand behind your children and more so guide them than to force them. My dad was the complete opposite. It was good grades, or trouble. Haha. I can't complain now, but I just wish, as most students probably do, that he was a little more guiding rather than stubborn. Good Luck to your boy in college. I wish him the best!

reako

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reako View Post
    I personally love how you stand behind your children and more so guide them than to force them. My dad was the complete opposite. It was good grades, or trouble. Haha. I can't complain now, but I just wish, as most students probably do, that he was a little more guiding rather than stubborn. Good Luck to your boy in college. I wish him the best!

reako
    My parents are forcing. I almost hate making good grades because I have to. Sometimes I just want to say screw it and not do anything but I fear the repercussions. I enjoy having my iPhone with unlimited texting very much and my mom isn't above changing my plan....heh. Also, there's my laptop with my DVD burner and MMi, I'd be lost without this site.
    Steam ID: gentrytj
    Origin ID: gentrytj
    Gamertag: TJ McHoonigan
    PSN ID: TheWyzeMan
    Twitch.TV: TJ_McHoonigan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12