Page 3382 of 3445 FirstFirst ... 2382 2882 3282 3332 337233803381338233833384 3392 3432 ... LastLast
Results 67,621 to 67,640 of 68888

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The randomly off topic thread

Thanks
    Thanked 9,925 Times in 6,060 Posts

Moving slow seems to their M.O., hopefully better this time around.

I think I just discovered a way to install an app with Xcode on a non-jailbroken iPhone 5s running iOS 7.1.1 without a developer account. I'm not sure if this is new info since it is already known how to do this over the internet with a valid certificate, even if it is expired. The advantage of this method is that you can exploit that app's certificate that was made by an authorized iOS developer to install an app you made without a license. I wonder if this could be used for a jailbreak. I'll start a thread tomorrow if I can confirm it 100%.

I think you can even install an app that has no code signature whatsoever.
    Last edited by Zokunei; 05-14-2014 at 08:44 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zokunei For This Useful Post:

menard_00 (05-14-2014)

Intriguing post, Zok!
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Nvm, I can't replace the executable (even with another signed one). I was however able to add and replace image resources in the application bundle, and I still find it interesting that you can download apps though Safari that have expired provisioning profiles. That is not a new discovery though.

I install quite a few apps on my non-JB devices throughout my developer account. Example. My iPad is stock on 7.1.1, and I have a working movieBox app installed.

Thanks

Gotta have one. Just ordered this 32GB little honey. iStick
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ing-for-iphone

This is so cool. Love the kitty.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/cat-...s-dog-23724504
    Last edited by blkcadi; 05-15-2014 at 12:58 PM.

Fabulous!! Nice find, Bo! It's about time!! Wonder where it stores data you're loading ON to the iPhone?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Fabulous!! Nice find, Bo! It's about time!! Wonder where it stores data you're loading ON to the iPhone?
    You download the companion app from the App Store, all is good, can't wait to get mine.

There is a nice vid about half way down the page on their website that explains it all.

I got the silver stick to match my phone.

I just sent out a tweet about it also. #SoCool
    Last edited by blkcadi; 05-15-2014 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaJaay View Post
    I install quite a few apps on my non-JB devices throughout my developer account. Example. My iPad is stock on 7.1.1, and I have a working movieBox app installed.
    What's movieBox?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Werty12 View Post
    What's movieBox?
    You have to add a repo (Google it as then contain warez) Movie Box app in Cydia. Download any movie or TV-show for free.

Pretty dang cool, I haz it too

It is only on pirated repos. When I go to add it as a source in cydia it has this whole paragraph that says some stuff and then asks if I should add it anyway. I didn't. Though now I'm confused? So it's ok to download music and movies. But it's frowned upon when someone downloads a paid tweak for free. I'm not trying to stir the pot, I just want to know the difference?

Neither practice is legal or ethical, Werty. Your sensibilities are right on the money. If you're getting movies and tv shows for free ( with no ads) then it's from a pirate source and the material is stolen and ethically you shouldn't use it. Makes you a thief too.

But when it comes to movie and music pirated stuff many otherwise very moral people have a "sliding" ethics scale that allows them to feel okay about that but not about pirated software. Never understood how they rationalize it. You're right - they're EXACTLY the same unethical matter.

All "ethical" FREE music and TV sources will have ads you have to bear thru that allow the site be able to pay the royalties for the stream.

Now "some" TV material and music is truly free.. Less than 0.1% though.. So that repo is a big no-no ... Hey maybe that's just me.. But there is ACTUALLY zero difference between it and other pirate activity on the internet. It's all stealing intellectual property.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 05-16-2014 at 03:05 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NewdestinyX For This Useful Post:

Werty12 (05-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    You have to add a repo (Google it as then contain warez) Movie Box app in Cydia. Download any movie or TV-show for free.

Pretty dang cool, I haz it too
    Neither practice is legal or ethical, Werty. Your sensibilities are right on the money. If you're getting movies and tv shows for free ( with no ads) then it's from a pirate source and the material is stolen and ethically you shouldn't use it. Makes you a thief too.

All "ethical" FREE music and TV sources will have ads you have to bear thru that allow the site be able to pay the royalties for the stream.
    You don't have to add any pirate repos to obtain MovieBox.... And movieBox does indeed have some ads. I don't usually download anything from it, but I often use it to catch up on TV shows that I missed, that i DO already pay for in my scheduled cable programming. My reason for MovieBox, I don't want to have to have the abc app, HBO GO app ( yes i am a paid subscriber), NBC app, etc and so forth... why have 10 apps to access all the content that readily available, when I can use one. So in my case, I am simply choosing a streamlined delivery method for my content. As far as the movies and such, and those that aren't paid subscribers of the material thats on there, it's whatever. Watch what you wanna watch, you don't have to explain yourself to anyone here. There is a BIG difference, IMO, than watching a movie on your iPhone, iPad, than stealing a tweak or theme... 1) I don't think MGM honestly misses your $10... 2) a theme author or tweak developer would.... Me? I buy my music, I pay for my Adobe PhotoShop and DreamWeaver, I pay for my tweaks, I subscribe already to most, if not all, of the content that I am accessing on MovieBox. I also realize that not everyone may have the money to pay for these things. 9 out of 10 times if you ask a theme creator or tweak developer to provide you a free copy, and explain that you are under a financial hardship, they will gift it to you. That in itself, is why i have such a hard time with pirate repos in general. It's the ones that can pay and are just leeches that hurt the community.

In regard to the movieBox app itself, I have the deb directly from the developer. Everytime they update it, they always post a link to the new deb for those of us that refuse to add pirate repos to our devices. I then download it, and store it in my dropbox. I provide it freely to anyone who asks, hopefully to keep people from adding those pirate repos. Here is a link to my stored copy in my dropbox.

MovieBox App

You may need to reboot after installation to get the icon to show up.

Confirmed working, as this is the one I have installed on both my Jailbroken and non-Jailbroken devices (If you're not Jailbroken, don't bother, as you'd need my mobile provisioning certificate, and have your UDID registered on my developer account)
    Last edited by MamaJaay; 05-16-2014 at 08:38 AM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MamaJaay For This Useful Post:

Azon3 (05-16-2014), pioneer88 (05-16-2014), rjr1124 (05-16-2014)

The ads being on the movie box app makes all the difference in the world as to whether you're enjoying a movie or music is stealing or not. The ads are what generate income for them to pay the proper royalties. So I have zero problem with that.

But in your explanation there, Jess, I don't agree with the rationalization you seemed to make - that your choosing a "streamlined method of viewing" would make the viewing of stolen material (if there were no ads) okay. There is not a single bit of difference (legally) between that and stealing of an app. In fact lots of legal precedent has already been set for that - that I shared with Kyle a little over a year ago and cautioned him against allowing a distinction to be made in thread conversations between pirating an app and helping people view pirated movies and music. Could get the forum and it's sponsors into a lot of trouble.

Fortunately, MovieBox doesn't itself seem to be offering pirated stuff. The ads make it all legal. I'm relieved.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 05-16-2014 at 09:25 AM.

As long as the ad revenue actually goes towards paying royalties, that is.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,236 Times in 6,615 Posts

Ha, if moviebox was that legit, it would be in the App Store. They aren't paying royalties. Wake up!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to King_O_Hill For This Useful Post:

Zokunei (05-16-2014)

The ads being on the movie box app makes all the difference in the world as to whether you're enjoying a movie or music is stealing or not. The ads are what generate income for them to pay the proper royalties. So I have zero problem with that.

But in your explanation there, Jess, I don't agree with the rationalization you seemed to make - that your choosing a "streamlined method of viewing" would make the viewing of stolen material (if there were no ads) okay. There is not a single bit of difference (legally) between that and stealing of an app. In fact lots of legal precedent has already been set for that - that I shared with Kyle a little over a year ago and cautioned him against allowing a distinction to be made in thread conversations between pirating an app and helping people view pirated movies and music. Could get the forum and it's sponsors into a lot of trouble.

Fortunately, MovieBox doesn't itself seem to be offering pirated stuff. The ads make it all legal. I'm relieved.
    If you read my post in its entirety, as I stated, since a I'm a paid subscriber of the content that I am viewing, I am streamlining my method of viewing by simply having one app instead of ten.

Example. I watch game of thrones in movie box. I have access to this same content in the HBO GO app (since I am a paid subscriber). I watch scandal on moviebox. I have access to the same content in the ABC app. I watch house of cards on moviebox. I have access to the same content in the Netflix app (again-paid subscriber). See where I'm going, here? So I download one app instead of ten. One place for me to view all the content I could otherwise view LEGALLY in various other apps, I stream it all in moviebox. I literally have 3 total non-preloaded apps on my iPad. iBooks, movieBox, and the MJWalls app.

As far as my "rationale" between stealing a theme and viewing a movie... As I've clearly shown in this post, as well as my previous one, I don't steal a damn thing. I simply said that I'm not judging anyone for their actions and I can see how people would see a distinction between the two things.

Quote Originally Posted by King_O_Hill View Post
    Ha, if moviebox was that legit, it would be in the App Store. They aren't paying royalties. Wake up!
    And that statement isn't entirely true. There have been several apps in the AppStore that do the same as moviebox. They flew under the radar. One such example was Cartoon HD.

In regards to this whole conversation, I've said my piece. I don't condone piracy, but unfortunately, it's going to happen. There's nothing we can do about that.

Use my link or don't use my link. But for the people that DO decide to use moviebox, would you rather them use my simple link or would you rather have people loading the pirate repos into their cydia sources. I see it as the lesser of two evils.
    Last edited by MamaJaay; 05-16-2014 at 10:40 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to MamaJaay For This Useful Post:

rjr1124 (05-16-2014)

It's a nice rationalization, Jess, even logical, and I understood your post and read it thoroughly the first time. Trouble is you could still be fined for using MovieBox if it's a pirated app. Legal precedent on this is very clear.

Started with Napster years ago. The three families that were fined $50k each - their kids that were using Napster owned about half the CD's that they were streaming music from Napster with. The legal issue is HOW you're viewing the material - NOT the amount you pay to another service like ABC app ( that has the ads). This issue legally is no different than the fines "passers (innocent bystanders)" of counterfeit money get assessed.

Your "convenience" method is still illegal regardless of your fees paid to Netflix, etc.. How we "feel" about it - doesn't change the ethics. Though certainly in our culture today - one's needs and desires does dictate our ethics. But the law is very clear on this.

I make a significant portion of my living from royalties - so naturally I'm pretty interested in this topic ..

And as such I will always feel compelled to report to moderation (not today - no promoting happening) the promotion of movie and music streaming from unlawful repositories as MovieBox may be per King's input.
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 05-16-2014 at 10:44 AM.

Then let them fine me. Screw it. It's my iPad and I'll use it as I like. I'm done

Quote Originally Posted by MamaJaay View Post
    Then let them fine me. Screw it. It's my iPad and I'll use it as I like. I'm done
    Thats what the user of pirated apps can say too. Again, no difference. In the end - your call.. But a moderator like Bo shouldn't promote something illegal. I fear for the forum getting in trouble. That's why I speak up about it.

Page 3382 of 3445 FirstFirst ... 2382 2882 3282 3332 337233803381338233833384 3392 3432 ... LastLast