Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: The randomly off topic thread

  1. #42341
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    47,366
    Thanks
    7,350
    Thanked 16,222 Times in 7,386 Posts

    Put some new light fixtures up in my kitchen today. First time for me, that was fun.

  2. #42342
    Retired Moderator one1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In my own little world
    Posts
    10,317
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

    Apple Iphone 4 32 GIG (Sealed)

    must be nice to win one of these and not even want it

  3. #42343
    Howd they win it?

  4. #42344
    Super Duper Moderator blkcadi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
     Valley of the Sun, ARIZONA ♥♥♥
    Posts
    32,575
    Thanks
    4,350
    Thanked 10,819 Times in 6,614 Posts

    flippin' hot as hella last couple of days. Sad thing is I didn't even feel good enough to take the boat to the lake today. Blah...................

  5. #42345
    Retired Moderator one1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In my own little world
    Posts
    10,317
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Howd they win it?
    hellifiknow. isn't mine.

  6. #42346
    Retired Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In Michigan And Florida
    Posts
    6,537
    Thanks
    3,597
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

    Simon you out here... lol

  7. #42347
    Retired Moderator one1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In my own little world
    Posts
    10,317
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

    ttooofffffyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    ZOMG! MUAH!

    missed uuuuuuu

  8. #42348
    Don't need to get lippy one1

  9. #42349
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    47,366
    Thanks
    7,350
    Thanked 16,222 Times in 7,386 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    Simon you out here... lol
    Yeeeees

  10. #42350
    Retired Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In Michigan And Florida
    Posts
    6,537
    Thanks
    3,597
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

    toothy has been under the weather lately again... damn it!

  11. #42351
    Retired Moderator one1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In my own little world
    Posts
    10,317
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts


  12. #42352
    Retired Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In Michigan And Florida
    Posts
    6,537
    Thanks
    3,597
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

    Simon... at first my sig and such was not showing up when posting... don't ask why but now see it... but don't see those little yahoo icons and such now... was just going to ask you if I needed to set something since the site changed...

    one1 I missed you to!

    And I hope and pray that I don't have to keep going through what I have been... WTF!

  13. #42353
    Superbad Modder-ator Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    47,366
    Thanks
    7,350
    Thanked 16,222 Times in 7,386 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    Simon... at first my sig and such was not showing up when posting... don't ask why but now see it... but don't see those little yahoo icons and such now... was just going to ask you if I needed to set something since the site changed...

    one1 I missed you to!

    And I hope and pray that I don't have to keep going through what I have been... WTF!
    Not sure why that would happen. Although Kyle and Cody have been editing and fixing things live so that could explain any weird things that may happen. Or you may have accidentally uncecked the show signature box when posting. My money is on Kyle/Cody fixing things though.

  14. #42354
    Super Duper Moderator blkcadi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
     Valley of the Sun, ARIZONA ♥♥♥
    Posts
    32,575
    Thanks
    4,350
    Thanked 10,819 Times in 6,614 Posts

    ^that would be my guess also.

    Hi toothy, sorry your feeling icky kiddo.

  15. #42355
    Retired Moderator one1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In my own little world
    Posts
    10,317
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

    Kids, one of the things Juan became a household name for was being an electronics whiz. An electrical engineer who owns a firm devoted to Lexus, but likes to dabble in all forms of electronics. One of my claims to fame was developing a technology design that Lexus and Nippendenso could not find a way to overcome. It was infact, the beginning of my career.

    I have been kind of out of the loop thanks to sickness, many here know what I mean.... when you miss entire months at a time. I lost some of the confidence that makes me so damn good at what I do.

    Today went well, I had some fun even roller bladed for a while. Felt decent for the first time in months. So tonight I sat down with the iphone 4 and broke out the big stuff to try and "JUAN1" it over a little.




    So after some honey buns, a few cups of coffee, almost throwing it against the wall 5 or 6 frustrating times, I have finally probed the prox sensor using a lumens algorithm to which I wrote on the spot so I could tell if the changes I made worked by reading the oScope. This means I could "target" the number I needed to see when making adjustments so I would KNOW the prox would work when I hit that number. This also means that if you are not ME sitting on this machine, none of this will mean anything to you because it was written for this equipment at this settings in the heat of the moment. So basically I can do this 1,000 times, but the numbers wouldn't mean "richard" to you if you tried to duplicate them on your oScope.

    What this means to ME is that for the second time in my career (first was the Lexus patent), I have done something I have no way of having mass duplicated unless I do it myself.

    Enough boring chatter, end result........

    Last edited by one1; 05-28-2011 at 10:18 PM.

  16. #42356
    Super Galactic Moderator Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Omicron Persei Eight
    Posts
    5,851
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 699 Times in 594 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    You sexy beast. Measuring when the sensor tripped by watching the voltage pattern wave change? How'd you adjust the calibration for Lumens detection on the phone side?

  17. #42357
    Retired Moderator one1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In my own little world
    Posts
    10,317
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

    you can't, well not in a realistic "do it more than once per week" kind of way if you intend to repair them since it is programmed at a microprocessor level. So new solution found to control the sensor and hit the magic number was very tight control from the front of the sensor using FIBER. Neat little trick I came up with since fiber is transparent, yet distorts the light from head on impacts with the sensor. Distortion baby..... it ain't just for speakers no mo, joe.

  18. #42358
    Super Galactic Moderator Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Omicron Persei Eight
    Posts
    5,851
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 699 Times in 594 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    you can't, well not in a realistic "do it more than once per week" kind of way if you intend to repair them since it is programmed at a microprocessor level. So new solution found to control the sensor and hit the magic number was very tight control from the front of the sensor using FIBER. Neat little trick I came up with since fiber is transparent, yet distorts the light from head on impacts with the sensor. Distortion baby..... it ain't just for speakers no mo, joe.
    ...that is brilliant. I would never thought of using a fiber tunnel of sorts to control photons bouncing off the sensor. Though you'll have to manually adjust the tunnels for opacity/position, hopefully somebody will discover where the calibration is occurring (either dedicated micro or application processor) and will able to adjust it through software to control the hardware more efficiently.

    If you or I weren't male (and I wasn't hideously unattractive) I'd implore you to mate with me so our progeny could be so smart as to hack **** with their minds.

  19. #42359
    Retired Moderator one1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In my own little world
    Posts
    10,317
    Thanks
    349
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

    I loves me some science I come up with the stuff the other engineers don't get out of the box and think about. If you are having a lighting issue, and controlling the lighting is only minimally masking the issue then control the lighting on a whole new level...... distort that shiz boy!

    The issue is reflectivity back to the sensor. The sensor see's the light, then see's the reflection off the back of the white faceplate. It's getting two signals. You have to slow the second wave down or it will confuse the sensor.

    The proper way to do so is to distort the light. If you distort it, it cannot hit the sensor head on and confuse it when reflecting. I prefer using fine fiber to line the sensor face. trial and error for you until you find sweet spot since you will be doing it without measuring for lumens.

    Once you have the proper amount of fiber the sensor will being working as it should. You are using the round fiber strands to distort the light, not to block it so just trying to stick anything in front of the sensor is defeating the purpose.

    This is the actual proper fix for the issue as the kudge fix's only mask the light reflectivity issue and results vary in different lighting conditions. Distorting it is the be all end all fix as it should be.

    ********
    To add, the fix came oddly enough from my experience with digital logic gates. Everyone who has worked with gates (nor, NAND, and, or, xnor, etc....) knows that to use them you have to build a multivibrator circuit with a debouncing switch or the circuit will ring and confuse the gate. I figured the sensor was the gate and the reflections were my ringing so I went on that suspicion and BAM.....
    Last edited by one1; 05-28-2011 at 11:41 PM.

  20. #42360
    Super Galactic Moderator Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Omicron Persei Eight
    Posts
    5,851
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 699 Times in 594 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    I loves me some science I come up with the stuff the other engineers don't get out of the box and think about. If you are having a lighting issue, and controlling the lighting is only minimally masking the issue then control the lighting on a whole new level...... distort that shiz boy!

    The issue is reflectivity back to the sensor. The sensor see's the light, then see's the reflection off the back of the white faceplate. It's getting two signals. You have to slow the second wave down or it will confuse the sensor.

    The proper way to do so is to distort the light. If you distort it, it cannot hit the sensor head on and confuse it when reflecting. I prefer using fine fiber to line the sensor face. trial and error for you until you find sweet spot since you will be doing it without measuring for lumens.

    Once you have the proper amount of fiber the sensor will being working as it should. You are using the round fiber strands to distort the light, not to block it so just trying to stick anything in front of the sensor is defeating the purpose.

    This is the actual proper fix for the issue as the kudge fix's only mask the light reflectivity issue and results vary in different lighting conditions. Distorting it is the be all end all fix as it should be.

    ********
    To add, the fix came oddly enough from my experience with digital logic gates. Everyone who has worked with gates (nor, NAND, and, or, xnor, etc....) knows that to use them you have to build a multivibrator circuit with a debouncing switch or the circuit will ring and confuse the gate. I figured the sensor was the gate and the reflections were my ringing so I went on that suspicion and BAM.....
    Distortion of the reflection should work well, though it may fizzle in low-light situations... it'll be interesting to see how the sensor behaves (and ambient light detection is that same sensor, isn't it)?

    --Apropos to nothing: I hate having a female cousin that:

    1) is my age
    2) is hot
    3) is richer than hell
    4) drives a manual Audi R8 (V8) and has turned in a sub-13 second quarter driving it
    5) knows who The Stig is
    6) knows that there have been three Stigs, and knows that I'm talking about UK Top Gear (aka best Top Gear).

    Life likes rubbing it in my face, doesn't it?

Page 2118 of 3523 FirstFirst ... 1118 1618 2018 2068 210821162117211821192120 2128 2168 2218 2618 3118 ... LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •