Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Advice on gaming consoles....

Question Advice on gaming consoles....
    Please, no fanboy flamings. I am only seeking advice.

As of now, I own an Xbox 360 Arcade because I am a cheap bastard that didn't really need a hard drive but wanted a next-gen system. I've bought Oblivion, Lost Planet, and Supreme Commander. I am not going to pay $50 a year just to play online, and I can't seem to find a game that will give me a large amount of replay value. Oblivion was good, but now it's just got that old feeling to it. Lost Planet was okay, but it's not life changing or anything. Supreme Commander is glitchy, but it's okay too. The console also came with 10 arcade games. Split screen multiplayer isn't as common in games these days, and i live in the country, so my nearest friends are thirty miles away. The only solution for my problem, as I see it, is to get rid of my 360 and buy a PS3, which has free online gaming.

My plan is to sell my 360 and my games for $300 and buy a PS3. Warhawk looks awesome, and so do a few other games. I do have a few questions first. And yes, I do know you can buy an Arcade for $200 now.

Is gaming over the PS3's Wi-Fi reliable, or should i just buy an Ethernet cord? How fast of a broadband connection should you have to game online efficiently? Is my price point of $300 too high? AM I THINKING THE RIGHT WAY AT ALL?!?!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

If its a PS3 you want, I dont think $300 is too much to ask for the console and games.

Also, dont own a PS3, but I do have a 360 and use a WIFI connection via gaming adaptor and with my broadband connection it works perfect!

Not sure how much has come out for the PS3 now....but the 360 has been the way to go for online game play. Even at a cost ($50 a year aint to bad). I find that without the online gaming I would get very bored quickly with the games....but the nature of online keeps them interesting time and time again.
    Last edited by cpjr; 10-09-2008 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm glad to hear about the Wi-Fi. Although, do you speed in kbs (or mbs, if yours is that fast)? I'm only a teenager, and I don't have a steady flow of money. That's why the free online prospect sounds so enticing.

Thanks

Well, I use Comcast broadband whatever speed that is. And the gaming adaptor is 100/mps. You can use a wireless access point though.

Yup. Thanks.

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

ps3 wifi gameing is really good, aslong as your not trying to download torrents with open ports and stuff like that. Still works pretty well while watching movies on another computer. i love it. like a lot.. I would tell you to buy Call of Duty 4 because its amazing, single player looks fantastic and online looks really good to. also resitence fall of man 2 is comming out very soon i hope
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Thanks

^^CoD4 all the way .....except for me 360.

Thanks

well, the one qualm I have with the ps3's wifi is that it just doesn't pick up connections all that well. I mean, if the routers in the same room, you're good to go. But god forbid you try to move maybe 10 - 20 feet away.

like right now, I can use wifi on my phone from my living room, but the ps3 won't even register a network. But eh, it's the price you pay.
    Last edited by 461am; 10-11-2008 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 461am View Post
    well, the one qualm I have with the ps3's wifi is that it just doesn't pick up connections all that well. I mean, if the routers in the same room, you're good to go. But god forbid you try to move maybe 10 - 20 feet away.

like right now, I can use wifi on my phone from my living room, but the ps3 won't even register a network. But eh, it's the price you pay.
    wow, never had that problem with mine and there are three walls between the router and the PS3... guess I got lucky?

I also feel the game selection on the 360 is better... haven't really found a game that was only on PS3 that I really HAD to have...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings