Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Want to get a laptop... help me decide?

Question Want to get a laptop... help me decide?
    Well, I'm definately keeping an eye on the macbook air, but I want some opinions on other notebooks. I want a really thin one that still maintains great performance and doesn't destroy battery life. Nothing too expensive, either... any suggestions? It can be a mac or a pc...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Stick with a Mac. Can't go wrong with being able run osx and windoze on the same machine
    Don't forget the Thanks if I helped

Which mac should I get, though? Like I said... I love almost everything about the Air except the price... what's a good runner-up?

Thanks

I have a 13 inch Macbook, its an older 1.83 GHz and it handles really well.
    I'd get a higher up Macbook or a lower Macbook Pro, size isn't a big issue with me though.

Green Apple
    Thanks

i am running on a macbook now and i love it its much faster than even my old desktop pc

the interface is great

you get a lot for the price

plus n64 roms are awesome when you use an xbox controller
    RY GUY!!!

Nice MacBook for sale with loads of software and various upgraded parts by one1

I think Macs are better personally, and I used to be Windows all the way until last November.
    Proud MMi Retired Moderator.

Right now I'm using a 1 1/2 year old Gateway GT5058... I'm about to go check out the macbook pro on apple.com

I think the relatively recent Gateway's are not too bad - but it depends on whether you want a notebook or a sub-notebook.

For a sub-notebook, the Lenovo is good (we have some of the IBM earlier model and it works great) and the Fujitsu isn't bad, though it compromises more (tiny screen, but tiny notebook).

OTOH, I generally want something with a 14" or greater screen, under five pounds, with optical drive and PC card slots. I use a Gateway 450sx4 at work for carrying around and it has worked out well.

Of course, these days what I really want is an iNewton (iPod Slate?)
    Starlight Computer Wizardry
    Pocket-sized Development
    Follow me on twitter: @NetMage

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NetMage For This Useful Post:

CoolBito (02-08-2008)

Yeah, I'm definately looking for something small... Screen size between 13 and 17 inches thats less than 5 pounds... I want something that looks great and performs great. Thanks for some of those suggestions, NetMage ;D

+thanks