+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Gotta love MS "time remaining" dialogs :)

is a discussion within the

Chit Chat

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
completely iphone unrelated but made me laugh i had to capture the area using corel. well, i dont know if my computer or the server was having an epi lol,
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Default Gotta love MS "time remaining" dialogs :)
    completely iphone unrelated but made me laugh i had to capture the area using corel.

well, i dont know if my computer or the server was having an epi lol, but i was copying some files and the copy progress dialog showed this....
    (See attachment)

hahaha, gotta love MS sometimes lol - it only took aout 5 mins in the end, the box got as low as half in the piccy then just disappeared lmao
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gotta love MS "time remaining" dialogs :)-image1.jpg  

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

LMAO, that's a good one. MS is notorious for sucking with their "time remaining" calculations.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    LMAO, that's a good one. MS is notorious for sucking with their "time remaining" calculations.
    Tell me about lol, altho i gotta say, thats one of the worst ive seen for a long while lol what makes me laugh the most is one second, it say 2mins, next it says 48000 days, next it says 3200 days, then 1min, then 48633 days 5 hours & so the pattern continues lmao bloody things & damn MS - i reckon it doesnt calc at all, i think it just guesses arandom number....or maybe internally it shakes a magic 8 ball thingy where all the answers are just different times........"hmmm, how long to copy this one" <shake><shake><shake>........8: 345982 days <shake><shake> 8: ok, 3 mins
    Last edited by jtanner; 01-18-2008 at 01:38 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

rofl...good one...vista sucks....got to definetly buy a mac now!!!
    Did I Help you?? Then Hit the Thanks button!
    16gb iPhone running 1.1.4
    Jailbroken and Unlocked!
    MMi ROCKS!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vishnuvenky View Post
    rofl...good one...vista sucks....got to definetly buy a mac now!!!
    True. I was just about to buy a new Dell, now that i've saw this i'm buying a macbook!!
    To live, you have to lie

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well, I see you copying from the network, so I'd rather blame latency of your network instead of Microsoft.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piranha View Post
    Well, I see you copying from the network, so I'd rather blame latency of your network instead of Microsoft.
    Lol, yes it was...

Some serious latency from the server and the network lol + im on wireless (which just added to the already problematic server haha)

But still 'tis funny

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piranha View Post
    funny how only this guy noticed it was transferring over a network.

just shows how stupid and bias a certain fan group of a certain os can be.

Thanks

^^ lol
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hanz0e View Post

Lol, you hit the nail on the head

But to be fair, vista is rather poor; I went back to XP after 9 months use.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

My iPhone is a Part of Me Sidetalker's Avatar
    Thanks

i reckon it doesnt calc at all, i think it just guesses arandom number....or maybe internally it shakes a magic 8 ball thingy where all the answers are just different times........"hmmm, how long to copy this one" <shake><shake><shake>........8: 345982 days <shake><shake> 8: ok, 3 mins
    that would be a fair guess...
    For Help
    Private Message, Email, or AIM
    (My response time might be a little long)

GUIDES:
    Expect more when I find something guide-worthy.
    PM me and let me know if you need one.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Hope you're not hanging around waiting for the download to finish

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

well, this mac user would like to point out that he's transferring at 60+ KB/s. there's 84MB out of 136MB left and the system is telling him it will take 48633 days. now you tell me what's not working right, the connection or the operating system?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Before we get into OS arguments lol id like to point out im not biased, i have my Vista Laptop Dual booting with Suse 10.3 (lets not argue over which linux distro is best pls lol) and i also have a iMac G5 on my desk (all for work)

Each has there pro's and cons!

Some stuff is just easier for me on Vista, the Mac (OSX Tiger) is better for other stuff, and Linux i just like

This was abit of both, my computer was doing other stuff in background which really didnt help + the network was rather overloaded lol but MS does also suck sometimes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtlives View Post
    well, this mac user would like to point out that he's transferring at 60+ KB/s. there's 84MB out of 136MB left and the system is telling him it will take 48633 days. now you tell me what's not working right, the connection or the operating system?
    well this windows user would like to point out the server latency that was talked about before is the cause of this problem. Transfer time estimates between HDDs on my PC were fairly accurate, and these problems are probably going to be addressed in SP1. Now, mac user, you tell me why the hell patches are released for a an-oh-so-perfect operating system such as OS X? Maybe it's not Oh-So-perfect, perhaps? Just like anything else on this planet? This "mac is so much better" charade that is a bi-product of marketing. In response to those fanboys out there: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....gi?u=macs_cant
    Both have pros, both have cons. Fact. Let's not get heated over our attempts to justify our >500/$1000 purchases now. *ahem*

Anyway, put that in your Finder.
    Last edited by dale1v; 01-21-2008 at 03:45 AM.
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    well this windows user would like to point out the server latency that was talked about before is the cause of this problem. Transfer time estimates between HDDs on my PC were fairly accurate, and these problems are probably going to be addressed in SP1. Now, mac user, you tell me why the hell patches are released for a an-oh-so-perfect operating system such as OS X? Maybe it's not Oh-So-perfect, perhaps? Just like anything else on this planet? This "mac is so much better" charade that is a bi-product of marketing. In response to those fanboys out there: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....gi?u=macs_cant
    Both have pros, both have cons. Fact. Let's not get heated over our attempts to justify our >500/$1000 purchases now. *ahem*

Anyway, put that in your Finder.
    easy boy, i never said osx is perfect. i have zero interest to convert anyone to anything. i was merely picking up on an earlier post which indirectly called me - as a mac user - dumb and stupid, despite the fact that in the case at hand there's definitely something wrong with that message window. i don't care if it's the transfer speed or the time left, or wheterh it works fine in other circumstances, bottom line is that the info provided here by the system is all ****** up.

not with a single word did i make any mention of osx being better, yet alone perfect, so i'm kinda clueless why you're getting all heated up and defensive. i have my own issues with network transfers on osx and last time i typed "osx sucks" into google i was still getting plenty results, so no need for OS wars here....
    Last edited by mtlives; 01-21-2008 at 04:45 AM.

Thanks

Well, yeah you were thinkin' it. J/k lol

No need for OS wars at all

Yet.
    [/RIGHT]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    Well, yeah you were thinkin' it. J/k lol
    the "this mac user" reference was seriously only picked based on the quoted posting.

these os wars are usually dominated by clueless remarks by people who've spent close to zero time on the respective other os. whereas this is undenyably true for pretty much all windows users, i still have perfect understanding for the "hatred" of apple fanboys. i agree it's annyoing, just know that we're not all like that

EDIT: lol, i just clicked on the link you posted for the first time... wtf dude?! you might wanna re-read my posting and ease your finger on the STFU trigger...

and yes, i'm indeed skinny...
    Last edited by mtlives; 01-21-2008 at 05:53 AM.

Thanks

EDIT: lol, i just clicked on the link you posted for the first time... wtf dude?! you might wanna re-read my posting and ease your finger on the STFU trigger...

and yes, i'm indeed skinny...
    LOL
    the link was for future reference, not for you alone lol
    [/RIGHT]

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

these os wars are usually dominated by clueless remarks by people who've spent close to zero time on the respective other os. whereas this is undenyably true for pretty much all windows users, i still have perfect understanding for the "hatred" of apple fanboys. i agree it's annyoing, just know that we're not all like that
    Id like to point out that yes we're not all like that lol! i use Vista, Linux & OSX so im defo not biased, personally i prefer PC, however, the macs i use are better at what i want them to do than a PC - eg, heavy premier pro stuff & recording about 10 programs every night, using 2 EyeTV Sticks, then all the editing etc etc.

Recording off USB tv sticks on vista i found to be a pain and vista is too unstable for that lol + load times is 3 times longer than eyetv! >> just in my EXPERIENCE only lol

on the flip side, i also need to run Atomix Virtual DJ - this i find is much better on my PC and is sooo much easier to output to club screens etc

and again, linux i just like lol - god, i feel old, i used to use unix and sco-unix etc! lmao

actually, im only 27 :S but hey