+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Macbook Air - Just Unveiled

is a discussion within the

Chit Chat

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
so its official guys, looks pretty sweet!! .16" to .76", thickest part of this laptop is thinner than the competitions (sonys) magnetic latch, 13.3" widescreen, backlit keyboard, built in isight,
    My iPhone is a Part of Me lifesmymachine's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Macbook Air - Just Unveiled
    so its official guys, looks pretty sweet!!

.16" to .76", thickest part of this laptop is thinner than the competitions (sonys)

magnetic latch, 13.3" widescreen, backlit keyboard, built in isight, ambient light sensor

MULTI TOUCH TRACKPAD!

80GB hard drive, but 64GB solid state (pricey, but fast) is available

1.6ghz intel core 2 duo, 1.8ghz upgrade option

2gb memory standard

5 hours of battery life, no optical drive but add on accessory or ability to "borrow" drive of another comp

man this thing is awesome, $1799 is a little steep tho.. but veryyyyy tempting
    Last edited by lifesmymachine; 01-15-2008 at 11:26 AM. Reason: updated
    "The glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time you fall."

My iPhone is a Part of Me pokekid's Avatar
    Thanks

i know man it looks sick as hell..my macbook pro just got backhanded and now im gonna pick one up once it ships =] and i can get the misses her iphone to match mine

My iPhone is a Part of Me lifesmymachine's Avatar
    Thanks

its up on the apple online store, looks beautiful! but over $3,000 for the better model..... I dont know how well thats going to sell
    "The glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time you fall."

Thanks

SSD isnt for me so ill get the regular hard drive..no biggie for me, im getting it for its size and im tired of big ol' laptops. just like when i got my iphone and threw away my godzilla sized blackberry, i hate huge ***** electronics, but not my 42" HDTV

Thanks

Santa...Please consider this post and send me one

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

negs:

soldered ram
    lower processing power
    non replaceable battery.... wtf?
    mono speaker
    no ethernet port
    very flimsy, fragile screen
    this WILL overheat

.......much more.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks

It does look amazing.
    But flawed, next module i'll look at more closely

Livin the iPhone Life yowiphone's Avatar
    Thanks

It looks tight as hell but its a little $$.
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    negs:

soldered ram
    lower processing power
    non replaceable battery.... wtf?
    mono speaker
    no ethernet port
    very flimsy, fragile screen
    this WILL overheat

.......much more.
    Hmm with 2 gigs of RAM standard I don't care about that.

CPU is OK for a laptop. Certainly an improvement on the 1Gig G4 I currently use on my 12" PB

Battery is not really an issue for me. I never carry back up batteries and have only bought a new one once and could live with the replacement program.

Mono speaker seems a bit odd but when I think about it how often do I listen to music on the Laptop speakers? Rarely, still this is a negative for me.

Ethernet I can live without especially as there is a dongle for occasional use. Give me a bluetooth modem to a 3g iPhone and I'd be happier.

Can't comment on the sturdiness until I play with it.

Same goes for heat/thermal footprint.

Harddrive size and speed. 80Gigs isn't really enough for me these days. I'd like to see at least double that. I'd also be concerned as to the speed and reliability of these small drives. Are they user swapable?

Keyboard, why black? Looks a bit odd to me in the Aluminium enclosure. Sure make a black one with a black keyboard but I'd prefer a silver keyboard in a silver machine.

One more USB and a Firewire would have been nice. Maybe a hub or dongle will solve this but I do want to import from my movie camera sometimes and no Firewire seems odd. Dongles are also a pain and get lost.

All in all I think I would have prefered to have seen a 12" Mac Book Pro with beter specs and bigger footprint but I can see the appeal of this to the non hardcore market who make up the biggest group of consumers.

Thanks
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wld_5nZaR20"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wld_5nZaR20[/ame]

This notebook is unbelievably thin!!!

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ehcropydoc
    Subscribe to my videos on YouTube!
    iPod Touch 1.1.2 Jailbroken w/Invisible Shield

Green Apple
    Thanks

It looks sweet and I have already pre-orderd it.
    For me it is something between my Macbook Pro and my desktop pc, especially when I make short weekend trips, I find this one useful.
    Price a bit to high yes.
    No DVD-rom, can live with that since I do not use my superdirve in my Macbook Pro either when I am on the road.
    2 GB mem is enough
    Processor is good enough too from my point of view
    Can not replace Battery: Never used a spare on my MacBook Pro either and the battery is still in good condition after 2 years. Battery can and will replaced by Apple, good enough.
    One USB port: nearly enough for me too
    and the HDD is "big enough" too.
    No build in ethernet, use the dongle as in 90% of the cases I am on the road I use Wifi.

In total for what it is, I find cool and smart and I am looking forward to getting it.
    The small down turns are for me no down turns.

One needs to weigh the pro and cons for oneself, what you want. If you want a small light weight Mac for the road, this is ideal. It can not be a full laptop or desktop replacement, but it is not made for that

Thanks

thats what i was thinking as well except switch macbook pro =[ with a vodoo laptop =] with vista=[ but can boot linux and xp =] =]

but really, i decided to flop down the cheese and pre order mine as well, heres to getting screwed when the next version launches, but until then =]

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Imagine this thing is crazy. Thin and good . The flash drive is like 3000 but its worth it both prices are great . Good invention

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobajobbob View Post

All in all I think I would have prefered to have seen a 12" Mac Book Pro with beter specs and bigger footprint but I can see the appeal of this to the non hardcore market who make up the biggest group of consumers.
    This made me laugh. Non-hardcore? have you seen the price of this thing? Even the lower end model is rivaling 2 grand! I don't think anyone that isn't "hard core" apple fanatic is going to buy this thing. The average user will just buy a macbook, which, aside from possibly its weight, is just as portable.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

When I first saw this I was like OMG! Look! It's so thin! Remote Disk WOW! new Trackpad! WOW!
    But then I put my thinking hat on! (I have some for sale, if anyone needs them, PM me)
    It's good looking, there's no doubt.
    But... when I look at the circustances, and the other MacBooks, it's...it's really not that good...

Pros
    2GB ram, nice enough for a laptop
    Very nice look

Cons

80GB HDD or 64GB SSD...They're both too small and, well I know that you can't tell one from the other when you look at the MacBook from the outside... scenario below:
    MBA owner: "Hey mr. Average, come away from you 160GB HDD for a sec and look! I have a 64GB SSD in my MacBook!"
    Mr Average: "Ok, so what does that mean to me?"
    MBA owner: "Um...slightly...longer...bat-battery life?" <------- MBA owner has FAILED

Remote Disk....nice concept, but I don't want to be tethered on to a Computer to install software, and I know that I will not pay 65 for a drive which undoubtedly undermines the ultraportability that is boasted by Apple. Imagine you, sitting on a train, wanting to watch a DVD. you'd have to balance the disk between your legs, (being careful not to jog it) while resting the Mac on your lap. Uncomfy and unnerving. However, you can always rent movies for a day from Apple, lol. <----sarcasm

No ethernet port: no no I can't live without that, I really wouldn't want to keep my WiFi on all day, but I have no choice if I buy a MacBook Air... (it probably slowly cooks your organs as you use it)

When you look at this laptop with a keen, rational, intelligent eye, you know in your heart and soul that this is not worth 1199... You will impress your friends and colleagues that is certain, but then after that....well, you know... *yawn*... prepare to get left behind by your friend's bigger and badder laptops.
    SO, I'm buying either a MacBook or MacBook pro in the coming months.
    Last edited by dale1v; 01-23-2008 at 04:43 PM.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Thanks

It may have it's pros and cons, but it looks damn sexy in that commercial. Mmmmm.

Reako

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    MBA owner: "Hey mr. Average, come away from you 160GB HDD for a sec and look! I have a 64GB SSD in my MacBook!"
    Mr Average: "Ok, so what does that mean to me?"

No ethernet port: no no I can't live without that, I really wouldn't want to keep my WiFi on all day, but I have no choice if I buy a MacBook Air... (it probably slowly cooks your organs as you use it)
    The SSD is also good in case you drop the thing. Now, if you pay 3 grand for the macbook i doubt you are buying it with the intent to have something rugged enough to drop multiple times and brush it off and say "My data is safe, I have a SSD." Yes, HDD have advance anti-drop features now too, but strictly speaking an SSD is better when compared side by side (not by a huge margine, but still better)

I do agree about the ethernet port. I was seriously considering one of these and... no thanks. no ethernet port means I don't want it.

This is obviously a business laptop made for the guy that is always on the move and taking the laptop wherever he/she goes. you really don't need more than 60-80 gigs of space for that. You can install pretty much all the apps you want, plus dozens of your favorite albums to listen to while you work (since you don't already have an iPod right? LOL) I wouldn't know about carrying a laptop everywhere, but from what I hear of people who have the thin/light pcs who are on the road, every ounce counts. The sleek design might make it seems like apple is going for an all around market here, but the price (at least to me) shows that this is for the businessman who wants all the BUSINESS functions of a laptop without the weight and sacrificed battery life.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I almost cried when I saw that thing come out of that manila evelope:-) Price seems way too steep for what you get though.