+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: imac, ibook..should I get one? But first..

is a discussion within the

Chit Chat

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
Ok guys, I know nothing at all about anything other than Dell XP! How sad, I know! haha So anyways, my question is, since i guess I should probably get
    Thanks

Default imac, ibook..should I get one? But first..
    Ok guys, I know nothing at all about anything other than Dell XP! How sad, I know! haha So anyways, my question is, since i guess I should probably get a new laptop, since mine is already about 5yrs old. I was wondering, how hard is it to learn it if I get a new pc, I guess an ibook would be ideal right? So how much easier does it make things, especially when it comes to hooking it up with the iphone? Ya know, I mean compatibily as far as all we do with the iphone and our pc's. Like, would it be really convenient to buy an ibook, and a nice and easy transition, or no big deal, and since my Dell laptop, is still working fine and all, i should just stay with what I know, and not spend the extra cash??
    I don't mind spending the extra cash at all, if in fact it really is alot more awesome and easy??

So anyways, what do you all think? Please let me know the good, the bad, and the ugly! I am on Dell Inspiron 5100 XP at the moment!

Thanks ya'll!!
    Last edited by ucim2cute; 01-13-2008 at 11:24 AM.
    Stay Sexy, Sweet, and Wonderful!

iPhone? More like MyPhone iPhoneHero's Avatar
    Thanks

not difficult at all.
    I've never had a mac, but with friends having them, and then visiting the mac store alot when i worked next to it, I got alot of hands on experience.

but i would wait. let this year pass a bit and see if they unveil something badass in the apple line. or just scour the web for tidbits of info on the new mac lineup.
    "Somebody turn on the lights...its getting little to dark in here...I can't see you...when I'm dreaming...I can't see you....I can't see you..."

Thanks

mac

iPhone? More like MyPhone Jodiedicie's Avatar
    Thanks

Get a macbook, you'll never go back to a pc They are expensive, but well worth it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneHero View Post
    but i would wait. let this year pass a bit and see if they unveil something badass in the apple line. or just scour the web for tidbits of info on the new mac lineup.
    Actually, they just came out with something badass. An 8 core processor, with two 5.25" slots for burners and 4 3.5" drive bays for tarabytes of storage.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I too am thinking of leaping over too the darkside LOL, iv used windows since the good old days of 3.1 and worked up, but I have not a clue about mac
    , work have just told us there upgrading our laptops and too tell them what we want, I know there expensive compared too windows version of laptops but are they really that better than windows based units?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i cant think of any problems since i got a mac not one windows is like a totally different world once you get on a mac

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

why are they so expensive though whats special about them???

Livin the iPhone Life yowiphone's Avatar
    Thanks

Get a mac i have switched from Windows to mac for 3 years now, MACS are faster, smoother, no trouble shooting, no faulty software/hardware etc etc and they look better and the GUI is just amazing.

I am never going to back Windows.

And i got an Ibook G4.
    Last edited by yowiphone; 01-14-2008 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

If you're going for old technology, skip the iBook and it's many, many, logic board issues and go for the Powerbook.

After you've had a little time on the PB, step up to the MacBook line.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Livin the iPhone Life yowiphone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    If you're going for old technology, skip the iBook and it's many, many, logic board issues and go for the Powerbook.

After you've had a little time on the PB, step up to the MacBook line.
    Yeah but i got the new line of Ibooks not the old ones. I will probably replace my ibook with the macbook air this Christmas.
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

Thanks

Yeah!! Thats what I want, the macbook air, but, not sure if I can wait till Xmas! hehehe But, Geesh!! Three thousand bucks!! Ugh!! Hope it's really worth it!! I'm sure it's awesome, but, damn that price!! hahaah

And with all these great, expensive Apple stuff, you'de think my damn Apple stock would've gone up! WTF?? Oh! Well, I guess this is where faith in Apple comes into play! hehehe Thanks for all your feedback, and much love!
    Last edited by ucim2cute; 01-16-2008 at 03:04 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ucim2cute View Post
    Ok guys, I know nothing at all about anything other than Dell XP! How sad, I know! haha So anyways, my question is, since i guess I should probably get a new laptop, since mine is already about 5yrs old. I was wondering, how hard is it to learn it if I get a new pc, I guess an ibook would be ideal right? So how much easier does it make things, especially when it comes to hooking it up with the iphone? Ya know, I mean compatibily as far as all we do with the iphone and our pc's. Like, would it be really convenient to buy an ibook, and a nice and easy transition, or no big deal, and since my Dell laptop, is still working fine and all, i should just stay with what I know, and not spend the extra cash??
    I don't mind spending the extra cash at all, if in fact it really is alot more awesome and easy??

So anyways, what do you all think? Please let me know the good, the bad, and the ugly! I am on Dell Inspiron 5100 XP at the moment!

Thanks ya'll!!
    If you know PC and you don;t want to learn anything else, stick with pc. Mac isn't going to make anything with the iphone easier (except maybe ringtones with garageband). Two reasons I don;t bbuy a mac are as follows:
    1. One-click button on mouse. In fact the thing has no real buttons. just don;t like it (yes I know I can use another mouse, but the native right-click for pc is more for me)
    2. Price. The things are horribly overpriced. you can build a pc, or find someone to build it for you, that will run just as well as a mac for less price. basically your aren't paying for the shiney casing that the mac has with the pc.
    That being said, you were looking for a laptop, and apple does make some sweet laptops. One good thing about pc>mac in this regard is they don;t make you buy OS updates (ie 100000 different versions of OSX each needing to be purchased). You buy Vista or XP and you get updates for the life of the product and then some. you won't see "upgrade to Windows Vista Seagulll edition for only $99" That just doesn't happen. Buying a laptop pc with preinstalled OS does have the setback of all the trial crap coming installed with the thing. That is a huge bummer that can actually be avoided if you know where to buy.

Bottom line, if cost and learning a little something new isn't too big a matter, I guess get a Mac. In the long run things will be easier for you and for the time being not too much virus threat (though now that mac is becoming much more mainstream that will change I suspect in the next 5 or so years) If you want something just as good without the "pretty" factor for a nice chunk of change less, get a pc. You already know it, nno surpises there.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Macs are great , I switched from PC to mac. Better than PC and you should get the macbook its great . I bought the iMac but still would want a laptop to carry around.

Thanks

I have both. +1 for a Mac. It's just simply put.

Reako

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

MacBook. Buy it. It is by far the best value. Mac book pro runs windows better than most other laptops. Having both operating systems on one machine is awesome. There are some programs that I can't part with that are in windows.

If you are using it for basic things, I would HIGHLY recommend using osx. Your average user that surfs the web and emails is much more likely to run into problems. osx is just more stable over all. The entry level macbook is perfect for price/performance in my opinion.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

If you have the cash, definitely get a Macbook or Macbook Pro if you can afford it. More stable and runs Windoze better than anything I've ever built or worked on.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pncntigger View Post
    If you have the cash, definitely get a Macbook or Macbook Pro if you can afford it. More stable and runs Windoze better than anything I've ever built or worked on.
    Yes, thank you for agreeing. I think that Macs run so well because all of the parts are picked out by apple and have perfect drivers written for them to work with the OS that THEY make. Everything just runs so smoothly.

Thanks

ok, great, thanks for the input on the macs, I really appreciate it. Ok, but, one thing I don't understand about the new mac book air, is if it doesnt have a cd/dvd burner/player, how do we burn music and movies and such?? Ok, well I heard that it's like wireless and that you have to have another computer at home to transfer the data, or files, or whatever, but, anyways, why would we want 2 computers in one household?? I mean an extra one just for that, is what I mean, like just to be able to transfer from it?? Right?? I'm confused on that part.

So what is the truth on that?? Thanks again guys! Muuaaahh!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dcmarie1987 View Post
    HP Pavilion dv6700t Special Edition Notebook
    HP Pavilion dv6700t's are gay and people who like them are gay.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s