+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upgrade Stock MacBook

is a discussion within the

Chit Chat

forums, a part of the

ModMyi

section;
hey guys! i have a stock white macbook with these specs: Model Name: MacBook Model Identifier: MacBook2,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2 GHz Number Of Processors:
    Thanks

Default Upgrade Stock MacBook
    hey guys! i have a stock white macbook with these specs:

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz

im thinking about upgrading the HD and the RAM. i wanted to know how far i could go. like how much is the max amount of RAM, and how much is the max amount of space in the HD? thanks - Chase817
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

Thanks

Max Ram = 4GB{2Slots}[2 2GB(unless you find bigger than 2GB max is 4)
    Max HD = 300GB, but you have to find it else where. I dont think apple does it.( proof of 300GB is on the ModBook site)

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aiyo For This Useful Post:

Chase817 (05-09-2008)

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

lol i just upgraded my lap top to 4 gigs ram and now im goin to a 250 hardrive. stupid vista only sees 3 gigs of ram tho. stupid windows. but i do have to say it makes a world of diffrence. good luck to you.
    also i got 2 2gig sticks of ram from new egg for like 70 bucks. wicked sweet deal. just make sure u get the right kind for ur mac book, my friend got some for his and it was wrong, didnt even fit in slots. so sad
    Last edited by screamforme02; 05-10-2008 at 01:05 PM.
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Thanks

Hey, i upgrade my Macbook's RAM, mines older then your so i could only go 2GB of RAM.
    And i went to a 160GB HDD, i think you can get either 300 or 320GB not to sure which one, installation is real easy though, just take out the battery, undo the screws use the levers for the ram to take it out, then put yours in. Then just pull the white tab thats where the hard drive is, slide it out unscrew it and screw yours in. Make sure to work in a static free environment, discharge yourself or it might damage your RAM and HD.

Thanks

well, i heard that apple said that it could hold only 2 gigs of ram, but it could actually hold 3. is that true?
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

Thanks

It can hold 4 gigs of ram! shhesh. You have to buy 2 two gig sticks and put it the slots. Unless you have the old macbook.

If I ever helped you or made a comment you like, press the "thanks" button!
    320GB HD 4GB RAM 2.2GHz Macbook
    500GB HD 4GB RAM 2.6GHz Macbook Pro

Thanks

i have a refurbished macbook that i got this Christmas. is that the old one or the new one?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

an upgrade would be most ideal

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

The Rev A 1.83 macbook can only use 2 gig of ram and if you put (2) 2 gig sticks in in an attempt to get more than 2 gig it will make your performance SUFFER. Using the proper (2) 1 gig sticks will achieve maximum results.

The Rev B 2.0 macbook can see 3 gig of ram and if you put (2) 2 gig sticks in in an attempt to get more than 2 gig it will make your performance SUFFER. Using the proper RAM (1) 1 gig stick and (1) 2 gig stick will allow better performance than using (2) 2 gig sticks since the RAM isn't being choked down and is allowed to run wide open. There is a mild debate about mismatched ram sizes, but it does not offset the performance drop of choked RAM so it is the preferred way.

The Rev C macbook and up can utilize all 4 gigs of available ram and you should use (2) 2 gig sticks of ram.

The OP has a Rev B macbook and should use the Rev B RAM options above. As far as a hard drive, 5400 rpm is the standard drive, you should use a 7200 rpm drive for improved performance. Be advised these upgrades will affect your battery life since you are wanting better performance.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s