+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to make sure the phone you are buying is not STOLEN.

is a discussion within the

BST Completed Transactions

forums, a part of the

Buy | Sell | Trade

section;
How to make sure the phone you are buying is not STOLEN. The Guide. :b So you’ve just found that PERFECT iPhone deal that you’ve been waiting for. Everything looks
    Thanks

Exclamation How to make sure the phone you are buying is not STOLEN.
    How to make sure the phone you are buying is
    not STOLEN. The Guide. :b

So you’ve just found that PERFECT iPhone deal that you’ve been waiting for.
    Everything looks fine, And you’re about to get your hot hands onto a new phone!

Hold on though, There’s a few things that you should make sure first

We need to find out the validity of the phone. Below is a long read, But will help you understand more, Thus giving you a less chance of getting conned.

In October the 4th 2002, Australian Carriers have set up a shared database in which they can lodge the identity of stolen mobiles and therefore bar them from all Australian networks.
    When a phone is stolen, owners can tell their Carrier the ‘IMEI’ (International Mobile Equipment Identity) number, an identification code unique from all phones in the world. The operator then adds this to the database and that handset is blocked or ‘Barred’, even if a new SIM card is inserted.

It happens to be very hard to change or spoof the IMEI number of a handset. It’s also very illegal, And carries a jail sentence time of maximum of 5 years.

Even though I say only in Australia, This database system is active in most countries such as the USA and the UK.

So how can you utilize this to your iPhone buying advantage?

Well, A government website named AMTA launched a website, Where one may check an IMEI number of any handset to see if it is on the Blacklists of Carriers, Or if it’s clean and unbarred.
    The link to their website is: AMTA - Mind Your Mobile
    Or, If you are in a rush and can't click one button: https://prod.eie.net.au/portal/templ...IMEIInquiry.vm is the direct link to the checker.

To use the checker, You must first obtain the IMEI number in question.
    If you are purchasing the handset off eBay, Mail the seller asking for the IMEI number.

- If they refuse to tell you, There’s a pretty high chance that the handset that their selling is indeed stolen or barred.

- If they say they don’t know how to find the IMEI, Tell them they can find out by pressing: *#06# onto the handset’s keypad.
    So if they do tell you, That’s 1 good sign. But you shouldn’t let your guard down yet.

Use those links I told you before and check the given IMEI.

If the test comes back good with no problems, The handset should be safe to use once you’ve bought it.

However if the test comes back saying that the IMEI number is indeed on the Blacklist, You should steer clear of that sale, And if possible, Label the seller as a thief so others don’t fall for the sale.

And another thing, If they have pictures of the phone, But no box is in sight, That should also be something to get suspicious of. Ask for a receipt or proof of purchase if no box is in sight.

For instance: ‘WTS: 1x 16GB 3G iPhone, HANDSET ONLY’ is something to steer clear of, Unless the seller gives a very good reason why the box is missing.

So in conclusion, Use common sense along with this guide when buying a phone off anyone.

A list of Do's and Don't's:

- If it’s too good to be true, It usually is.
    - Don’t let your feelings get in the way of your thinking.
    - Don’t rush. For god’s sake don’t make absent minded assumptions just because you want that phone. You will regret it afterwards.
    - eBay feedback means little. Even if the seller has 10,000 feedback, They could of found/stolen an iPhone the day before, And is now selling it.
    - Ask. If you’re in doubt, Ask. Whether it be the seller, Or us here at ModMyi.

So anyway, Good Luck with that sale!
    - FairLight.

(If I have forgotten anything in the guide or if you have something to add, Please feel free to post back or Private Message me.)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FairLight For This Useful Post:

meeruman (01-01-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tokyo's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a feeling this will be stickied

Green Apple
    Thanks

you know sometimes people simply throw away boxes to prevent clutter. i keep mine but i'm just saying..
    -white 3gs 32gb on 4.0, black 3gs 16gb on 3.2, black 3g 16gb on 3.2 all on tmobile
    -in the past: 4gb 2g, 8gb 2g

Green Apple
    Thanks

I bought mine off a old lady a few weeks ago...just checked it and it came back "unblocked"....that put a smile on my face

Thanks

whew, I actually figured mine was stolen but nope its good to go nice link!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

And another thing, If they have pictures of the phone, But no box is in sight, That should also be something to get suspicious of. Ask for a receipt or proof of purchase if no box is in sight.

For instance: ‘WTS: 1x 16GB 3G iPhone, HANDSET ONLY’ is something to steer clear of, Unless the seller gives a very good reason why the box is missing.
    I will LAUGH MY A S S off at someone who does this. The chances of getting a box with an iphone are below 35%.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by one1 View Post
    I will LAUGH MY A S S off at someone who does this. The chances of getting a box with an iphone are below 35%.
    I figured my luck up for the past few weeks....

Out of 9....I got 6 boxes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cpjr For This Useful Post:

meeruman (01-01-2009)