Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HELP! Son's iphone 4s is disabled

Default HELP! Son's iphone 4s is disabled
    My son just got an iphone 4s and forgot his passcode and it is now disabled. I took it to the AT&T store and they told me to sync it to Itunes. Well, I tried to do the restore, but it didn't work. I have no idea where to go from here. Everything I have found online talks about syncing it. The phone hasn't been sync as far as I know....please help!

Thanks
    Thanked 10,208 Times in 6,213 Posts

I think they meant to restore in iTunes to factory fresh OS, that will remove the pass code lock.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Could you describe what happened (like an error code) when you attempted to restore?

I don't know why they would suggest to sync, syncing doesn't remove the passcode. Does he backup his iPhone regularly or at all? If he has a previous backup prior to setting the passcode, you can choose to restore from that backup and it may get rid of the passcode lock. If not, well you'd either have to remember the password or restore. There are methods to disable it if you know how to SSH into the device (I'm not an expert in this area, Google can be particularly helpful if you search "SSH forgot iPhone 4S passcode" or something like that).

Anyhow, if you're looking for the easiest way, it's to do a restore. You could create a backup to load back into the phone after restoring to factory, but I can't remember if that brings the passcode back or not.

Thanks

It does Annie, had this issue with a friends phone a few weeks ago. Syncing from a back-up restores the password, well, it did on a 4s anyway.

Thanks

That's what I thought. Seen it happen around the forums in the past but didn't know if it still happens. Thanks for the confirmation Bo. I guess that means the device must be set up as new if there isn't a previous backup that was created before the passcode was applied.

Thanks

^yuppers, meh, I hate restoring from a back-up. It's always exciting for me starting fresh and clean. Don't mind putting in the time to add everything back.

Thanks

I agree, it also cleans the phone up a bit. Problem is, it sucks at 2AM when your phone gets stuck in a boot loop and you have to do a restore. I can't not fix my phone before I sleep or I won't sleep lol. Was up till 4 last night getting everything installed back on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    I agree, it also cleans the phone up a bit. Problem is, it sucks at 2AM when your phone gets stuck in a boot loop and you have to do a restore. I can't not fix my phone before I sleep or I won't sleep lol. Was up till 4 last night getting everything installed back on.
    Awww, I see we also share OCD too. Same here, I couldn't sleep till my baby was working properly.

Thanks

Lol yeah, even though I know I have all day tomorrow to do it I still prioritize it over sleep haha. We haz issues -.-

All she has to do to restore it with out getting errors even tho it has a pass code hook it up to the computer open iTunes and turn the phone off and put it in DFU mode if you don't no how to do that this is turn phone off make sure yr stilled hooked to the computer and u have iTunes open but once off the hold the power button for 3sce then hold the power and home button for 10sec release the power button but keep holding the home button for 15sec or until a windows pops up in iTunes saying yr phone is in restore mode ther u go hit restore and yr golden