Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Activate without SIM card

Question Activate without SIM card
    Hey,
    I have an iPhone 4 on AT&T that I bought off ebay. I don't have a iPhone SIM card and I want to activate it, then eventually jailbreak and unlock it. I have a normal AT&T SIM that I'm going to cut and use. I'm pretty sure it's on iOS 5.0.1 because every time I try and use a tutorial on youtube, I put the phone into DFU mode, and iTunes says restore/update and then it wants to download 5.1. Somehow I got the iPhone back to the normal screen where it wants me to select my area/language/wifi, etc without downloading 5.1. I'm also seeing a lot about base bands and have no idea what those are and/or how to tell what I have right now. If anyone can walk me through this that would be extremely appreciative!
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 15,504 Times in 7,091 Posts

The ATT sim card should get you past the activation screens. Put the sim in, connect to itunes and then follow the instructions the phone gives you to get through activation.

I can't do that though, because I don't have a data plan and don't want to add one :/

Thanks
    Thanked 15,504 Times in 7,091 Posts

You should not need to add any data plans. The sim doesnt even have to be active. It just has to be a ATT sim to get past the activation screen.

don't hacktivate your phone. I did it on mine at first and when I finally got my SIM, I put it in and it didn't work until I reversed the hacktivation/custom FW

Im having the same problem! I need to get to my iPhone but it's making me activate it. The catch is I know for a fact there is a SIM card in here, but the phone and iTunes is still telling me that I need to put in a SIM card to activate it ... help ???????