Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is there a way to use a jailbroken 3GS phone without the data plan?

Default Is there a way to use a jailbroken 3GS phone without the data plan?
    I am no longer using my iPhone 3GS, and my dad would like to use it. But, he has no need for the dataplan.
    AT&T said that if we just switch the SIM card, they will know it's an iPhone and immediately add on a dataplan.
    Is there anything in the jailbreak world that will somehow fake the phone's identity?

Yea... they lie haha. I've been using my dad's old 3GS without data for a year and they haven't detected it. They too told me they would automatically add the data, but they have yet to do so. My guess is that you'll be fine.
    iphone 3gs - old bootrom - ios 5.0.1 - jailbroken (untethered)

No sig spam, please read rules - thanks!

It sure does sound like AT&T to feed this crap to you.
    But, since it's not for me I am not risking it.

Seriously... nothing will be added. In fact, I believe it's illegal for them to

I'm trying to do the same thing for my son for Christmas. I've got my old 3gs, previously jailbroken, but I restored it after I switched to my 4s. I'm planning on disabling cellular data and turning on parent restrictions so he can't turn it back on. Do I need to re-jailbreak it in order to keep AT&T from seeing it as an iPhone or will the disable cell data thing be enough?

If you don't have the sim in, the wifi functions and everything else still work. So just take that out and At&t has no way of detecting it.

I have heard of people being charged after inserting their sim so I took extra precautions on iphones I use with no data plans. First thing before putting the sim in the phone, I call ATT and say something like "I'm giving this number to my son, I want to block data on this line." Then I turn of all the data options on the phone, then I jailbreak it. After that I go to Cydia and install data kill, and finally insert a sim card and use it.

Hopefully someone here can help me. I just upgraded my phone to 4s and gave my son my 3g.

I do not want to give him a data plan cuz he really doesn't need. The program is on MMS, he can not send/receive any pics (MMS). I've tried updating the IPCC. I've tried using BiteSMS.

Can anyone help me?

iPhone? More like MyPhone PReCioSa's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 143voltron View Post
    Hopefully someone here can help me. I just upgraded my phone to 4s and gave my son my 3g.

I do not want to give him a data plan cuz he really doesn't need. The program is on MMS, he can not send/receive any pics (MMS). I've tried updating the IPCC. I've tried using BiteSMS.

Can anyone help me?
    the 3G I had wouldn't receive text or pix the only way i'd get them is if I sent a text to my self then I'd get 10-20 text messages... it's probably a hardware issue... I upgraded to the 3GS after that because it got annoying.. now I have the 4.

Quote Originally Posted by RageViolet View Post
    I am no longer using my iPhone 3GS, and my dad would like to use it. But, he has no need for the dataplan.
    AT&T said that if we just switch the SIM card, they will know it's an iPhone and immediately add on a dataplan.
    Is there anything in the jailbreak world that will somehow fake the phone's identity?

they actually will. I put my sim card in my friends blackberry not to long ago and they sent me the rudest text message lol I then took my sim card out because I have unlimited data and do not want to lose that. since they no longer offer it.
    Last edited by PReCioSa; 02-16-2012 at 12:48 PM.
    Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ PReCioSa Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
    irc.spotlatinos.com - #ChatGlobal