Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Uncapped Internet on iphone 4

Default Uncapped Internet on iphone 4
    I'm an old att gophone customer with the last great data package att offered that i was grandfathered into....$20 unlimited interenet with NO data cap. i've been using any and every phone from blackberry's and htc's to samsung galaxy's. i've had phones imported from overseas to work on att's 3G band with NO problems. i've bee hesitant to get ANY iphone for fear they would detect me having an iphone and delete my data plan since you cant have an iphone on gophone and definitely not with that data plan. well i broke down have bought an iphone 4 off craigslist and want to get up and running. its att branded, locked, and has never been jailbroken. the Modern firmware is 04.11.08 and Version 5.0.1 (9A405). my question is will i be able to use this phone with my data plan as i've been with EVERY other phone??? Or will they detect me having an iphone and tar and feather me? i value the data plan more than the phone. any suggestions???

If you value your data plan more them don't. I hear thar AT&T is like big brother.

They will definitely find out AT&T is vigorously hard at work tracking iPhone data use I wouldn't take the chance and I say that being a person that pays 45 dollar a month for data only..
    Black iPhone 4 32G jail-broken iOS 5.1 R.P

If you can find some way to block the iPhone from sending imei information to AT&T then you'll be golden

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stefan.buddle View Post
    If you can find some way to block the iPhone from sending imei information to AT&T then you'll be golden
    There's legal issues with that though too. I believe changing or spoofing the imei is illegal in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by -JailbreakeR- View Post
    There's legal issues with that though too. I believe changing or spoofing the imei is illegal in the US.
    I don't mean changing or spoofing he imei, I'm saying preventing the imei # from being sent to ATT all together. I know on some android phones you can simply delete a file in the OS and prevent phone detection on ATT which allows a smartphone to be used with unlimited data on a dumbphone line

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stefan.buddle View Post
    I don't mean changing or spoofing he imei, I'm saying preventing the imei # from being sent to ATT all together. I know on some android phones you can simply delete a file in the OS and prevent phone detection on ATT which allows a smartphone to be used with unlimited data on a dumbphone line
    The IMEI is transmitted via the baseband to cell towers as specified and required by the GSM standard. The only way it wouldn't be transmitted correctly (or at all) to AT&T is through ways illegal in the US.
    Android phones are no different, AT&T can tell what your phone is by IMEI sent from the baseband.

That said, they're more likely to charge iPhone owners than Android owner the smartphone plan due to agreements with Apple dating back to the first iPhone model.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Whoopsy guess it is illegal, so I guess there are two viable options

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The older discontinued "Pick Your Plan" plans from ATT were the only legal GoPhone plans to have for the iPhone. It was mainly for the first gen and 3G version. However the data plan did cost more at about $25 monthly but it was unlimited and could be used with an iPhone 4.

I have the old iPhone unlimited plan never changed it glad I did not.