Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone GoPhone

Quote Originally Posted by jostarr View Post
    I recently purchased two ATT iPhone 3GS off craigslist. And, two orange sims off eBay. Both iPhone's have been activated on ATT's GoPhone minute service and have a small data plan. I used unlockit.co.nz to create and change the APN to
    ATT wap.cingular. One phone can access data, the other can not. I have tried various APN's on the one that does not work. And, I have tried various 'fixes' recommended on the internet. No luck.

So, to learn more, I exchanged the two sims to see if the problem was with one of the iPhones. The 'no data' access problem followed the sim...indicating to me that both iPhones were ok.

The question is what should I do now? Keep trying various APN's, get a new sim, or try some other idea?

I finally solved the problem. I used Apple's Configuration Utility to wipe clean any APN. Then, I went to unlockit.co.nz
    and chose the ATT wap.cingular again. This time I have no problems using the internet and other data sources.

I can't tell you how many times I delete the APN and got this same ATT APN. But, I can only assume the Apple utility did the trick.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I just have a question. I am trying to change my sim to a pre paid one for overseas travel. My voice works, but I cant get data. Every time I go to the unlockit.co.nz site to edit my APN for data, I can't get to the application, only the forum page. What am I doing wrong? No matter what I do, I can't get to the the application. Just the forum page. Please help me..........

I too have a question about this process. I followed the instructions (even have the same cheap phone lol) and even restored the iPhone 3GS with the SIM card in it and reset network settings. It is an orange/white SIM card, and I currently have the cheapo phone on the really cheap 10 minute plan (only using this to make sure it can get an AT&T signal.

Strangely when booting up, it said "Searching..." then just said "No Signal." I did get this used off of craigslist but the original owner never mentioned that the cell radio didn't work. I've also tried a T-Mobile SIMcard in the device (not unlocked).

Any ideas on how to get it to work?

Quote Originally Posted by jdcnosse View Post
    I too have a question about this process. I followed the instructions (even have the same cheap phone lol) and even restored the iPhone 3GS with the SIM card in it and reset network settings. It is an orange/white SIM card, and I currently have the cheapo phone on the really cheap 10 minute plan (only using this to make sure it can get an AT&T signal.

Strangely when booting up, it said "Searching..." then just said "No Signal." I did get this used off of craigslist but the original owner never mentioned that the cell radio didn't work. I've also tried a T-Mobile SIMcard in the device (not unlocked).

Any ideas on how to get it to work?
    sounds like your SIM is locked to the GoPhone. After you did the restore (assuming it was stock iOS and not custom) it should have worked. You're not supposed to put the SIM into the GoPhone or else it locks to that phone for 6 months. The TMobile SIM won't work because it's still locked to AT&T.

Default Iphone to Go phone PYP 2012?
    I am considering doing this however, before I do I would like to be sure of something. If you do not purchase data are you able to receive/send MMS messages as long as you have wifi? Does this change whether you use the 3gs or the iphone 4? thanks for any help have looked and sifted through a lot of info on the web. I would just like to have some up-to-date input before I go and attempt this
    Last edited by keynem; 04-10-2012 at 03:21 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You cannot text on wifi on a gophone plan. You can however get a text plan ($5 for 200, $10 for 1000, or $20 unlimited).
    I've only done this on a 3gs (which I just gave to the wife a couple weeks ago as I moved up to a 4 on a reg AT&T plan)
    but imagine it should work the same.

Sorry my wording may have been poor I realize you cannot text on wifi however on my current phone unless I turn 3g on I cannot receive picture or multi-media messages. It will show that I received one but the picture won't or video won't play. So my one question would be can you view picture and multi-media text without purchasing a data package but having a plan for minutes and text or do you need data to view them?
    Last edited by keynem; 04-10-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Thanks

Ok, I see what you mean now.
    No need for data at all to do that. My wife's 3gs (using SBSettings) leaves 3g and data on although it's not used at all. Just having the texting plan allows her to send and receive regular and picture texts just fine.

Default att go phone sim in iphone 3g
    I set up my ihpone 3g with an att go phone sim. It has been working for a few days with no problems. Now, every once in a while, the iphone will say "no sim" randomly. Sometimes rebooting the phone works right away, other times it wont see the sim for 15 minutes. This is frustrating because the phone will be working flawlessly all day, and I'll take it out to send a text and it will say "NO SIM".

Any suggestions?

att go phone sim
    iphone 3g ( the first one, not the 3gs)
    os 4.2.1

Quote Originally Posted by digitalreflex View Post
    You cannot text on wifi on a gophone plan. You can however get a text plan ($5 for 200, $10 for 1000, or $20 unlimited).
    I've only done this on a 3gs (which I just gave to the wife a couple weeks ago as I moved up to a 4 on a reg AT&T plan)
    but imagine it should work the same.
    I have been reading up on how to turn the Iphone 3gs into a go phone and I get varying info depending on what I am reading. From someone who has successfully done this what did you do? Could you link the article you followed or give me a walk through. I'd rather follow someone's process who has done it and had the phone run well than to risk it.

Thanks

@keynem
    For the most part I just used the 1st post to do it. I went to the AT&T store and set up a gophone account, telling them the phone was at home and they set me up with the sim card and acct. I went home with the card and put it into the 3gs which I had already jailbroken and unlocked with Ultrasn0w (cydia). After popping the sim card in, I used the phone's wifi to go to unlockit.co.nz (select "continue", then "custom APN", and choose your country and carrier "AT&T", then "create profile"). Reboot and it should work if you have added data or text to your gophone plan.

Guys, they JUST changed the rules today concerning data packages and rate plans. It's now no longer possible to buy a data plan while on the .10/min plan. You HAVE to be on the 25/month in order to buy a data package.

I am unhappy about this because minutes don't rollover on the 25/mo plan. The .10/min has been working perfect for me as I've only used 3.00/15 for this month. I haven't had data all month but I was going to add it this week and now I see that I can't add it at all.

With this new change, it went from one of the best prepaid options for the iPhone to one of the worst. Even straight talk looks like a better deal now. If it wasn't for the fact that I don't go out a lot (thus paying for data is pointless) I would leave AT&T in a heartbeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by keynem View Post
    I have been reading up on how to turn the Iphone 3gs into a go phone and I get varying info depending on what I am reading. From someone who has successfully done this what did you do? Could you link the article you followed or give me a walk through. I'd rather follow someone's process who has done it and had the phone run well than to risk it.
    It's really easy. Buy a new AT&T SIM card online. Once you get it, setup a new GoPhone account. You will need to google an IMEI number, don't use the iPhone's. Once your account is setup, load it into the 3GS and activate your iPhone. Don't hacktivate it or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by speedforce131 View Post
    Guys, they JUST changed the rules today concerning data packages and rate plans. It's now no longer possible to buy a data plan while on the .10/min plan. You HAVE to be on the 25/month in order to buy a data package.

I am unhappy about this because minutes don't rollover on the 25/mo plan. The .10/min has been working perfect for me as I've only used 3.00/15 for this month. I haven't had data all month but I was going to add it this week and now I see that I can't add it at all.

With this new change, it went from one of the best prepaid options for the iPhone to one of the worst. Even straight talk looks like a better deal now. If it wasn't for the fact that I don't go out a lot (thus paying for data is pointless) I would leave AT&T in a heartbeat.

It's really easy. Buy a new AT&T SIM card online. Once you get it, setup a new GoPhone account. You will need to google an IMEI number, don't use the iPhone's. Once your account is setup, load it into the 3GS and activate your iPhone. Don't hacktivate it or anything.
    I have an lg thrive that i was using till i bricked it. CAn I use the sim card and IMEI out of that. have you gotten data to work with it. I was reading that they can tell what phone is accesing the network through the IMEI so they'll know that it is an IPHONE and that people have been having problems with data as a result

Quote Originally Posted by keynem View Post
    I have an lg thrive that i was using till i bricked it. CAn I use the sim card and IMEI out of that. have you gotten data to work with it. I was reading that they can tell what phone is accesing the network through the IMEI so they'll know that it is an IPHONE and that people have been having problems with data as a result
    It depends. How long have you had this phone? Did the original SIM card come with bonus minutes? If it came with bonus minutes, you had to have had it for at least 6 months, as the card is locked to that phone.

Yes, I have data working on my phone (although since the data package change, I have to change my rate package in order to buy data). They don't know if your phone is the iPhone because the original IMEI used to register the sim card belongs to another phone.

Quote Originally Posted by speedforce131 View Post
    It depends. How long have you had this phone? Did the original SIM card come with bonus minutes? If it came with bonus minutes, you had to have had it for at least 6 months, as the card is locked to that phone.

Yes, I have data working on my phone (although since the data package change, I have to change my rate package in order to buy data). They don't know if your phone is the iPhone because the original IMEI used to register the sim card belongs to another phone.
    I've had it for about 6 months. I went to best buy bought it and then bought the pick your plan 50 unlimited text/talk and then have just been refilling it. I don't know what you mean by bonus minutes so i'm just going to say that I haven't had them.

So for any of you beginners like my self that want to know if and how this works this has been my experience. I purchased a iphone 3gs of craigslist. Had an lg thrive go phone that i had been using nut was on the fritz. I refilled my account Went down to at&t told them I wanted to switch the minutes over to another phone because the phone had stopped working and had ordered one online but it didn't have a sim card. They do ask you alot of questions because they are hesitant about it but they did switch it over to another sim card. Came back but it in the iphone and had service been doing fine since. I didn't have to unlock it since the go phone was at&t and I jail broke i after. So in my experience It is not to difficult to switch it over as far as the 3gs goes. The jail breaking has been a little more challenging but there are tons of good youtube how to's. I am doing the pick you're own plan as far as the go phone part is concerned. YOu still have to buy some data or you can't send picture messages or receive them but essentially it is working exactly like the go phone was just now it's a iphone instead of android
    Last edited by keynem; 04-24-2012 at 09:11 AM.

My experience was that I too couldn't get data working after I had switch my gophone account over. I was going to unlockit but the install was failing. I ended up having to go into the General settings---> Profile--->And removing the old APN carrier setting before it would let me down load and install the new APN. the unlockit layout has changed a bit from most of the how to's that i watched and with all the different at&t choices on there it was difficult to know which one to select. AT&T wap cingular is the one i found that people said to select and it worked for my 3gs running 5.1
    Last edited by keynem; 05-04-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Thanks
    Last edited by keynem; 05-04-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Default I need help/info for getting data on my iPhone
    First of all...thank goodness for this forum! Because of this site I was able to continue to use my iPhone 3GS and didn't have to purchase a new phone.

So, I'm a former AT&T customer who left them when my last contract expired..couldn't afford the contract price anymore. I found out through this forum that I could get on the GoPhone plan "legally" with AT&T.

I went to the AT&T store yesterday, signed up for the $25 plan...the Asst. Manager of the store gave me the SIM card for free and now I'm good with a plan that meets my needs. EXCEPT, he told me that I couldn't get the data package for my phone because they don't offer it for the iPhone.

According to what I've read on this forum, there IS a way to get a data plan to work on my iPhone? However, AT&T knows I'm using an iPhone for this GoPhone plan...will that have any impact on trying to make the data plan work for me?

Thank you in advance for any help or insight anyone can give me on this matter!

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonGuy View Post
    First of all...thank goodness for this forum! Because of this site I was able to continue to use my iPhone 3GS and didn't have to purchase a new phone.

So, I'm a former AT&T customer who left them when my last contract expired..couldn't afford the contract price anymore. I found out through this forum that I could get on the GoPhone plan "legally" with AT&T.

I went to the AT&T store yesterday, signed up for the $25 plan...the Asst. Manager of the store gave me the SIM card for free and now I'm good with a plan that meets my needs. EXCEPT, he told me that I couldn't get the data package for my phone because they don't offer it for the iPhone.

According to what I've read on this forum, there IS a way to get a data plan to work on my iPhone? However, AT&T knows I'm using an iPhone for this GoPhone plan...will that have any impact on trying to make the data plan work for me?

Thank you in advance for any help or insight anyone can give me on this matter!
    I was able to get data because I had had a gophone account that was still open with a smart phone. I simply told them I was getting a new phone and needed a simcard that wasn't locked to the phone. They did that and that's all i had to do. I never told them it was an iphone. Once you purchase data there are a few things you have to do to get it functioning on the iphone but as far as purchasing it that is all i had to do. So idk if you'll be SOL on that since they know it's an iphone . I would try going online and purchasing some see what happens

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast