Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 2g data loophole

Default iPhone 2g data loophole
    I have read into this a little and have tried it once with no success. Any ideas if this is still an option.? The first time I tried I used iPhone 4 sim with adapter into iPhone 2g hooked to iTunes it went through activation I chose the $20 unlimited, after activation completed I switched back to my iPhone 4 and checked online and it says 2gb data never got a text or anything.

Any help would be great. Woul I have better success if I call them to activate instead of using iTunes.

Thanks in advance.

but a blank micro sim in to a regular sim adaptor activiate it on your line and choose the 20 dollar unlimited data. Now you will have to wait atleast 72 hours then call in to att tell them u have an ipohne 2g with unlimited data but u got the new iphone 4 and wanna keep the unlimited data plan. They will say ok, but it will jump to the 30 dollar data plan.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Alright so the problem was I was using the micro sim I have had instead of a new one. I'll try to purchase a blank one today then.

Thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 737 Posts

So what if you already had the iPhone 4 limited data plan on?

If you switch to the 2G plan for 72 hours, they'll grandfather you into the UNL data even after seeing you already had a capped plan?
    My latest theme - -

That's what everyone has been saying. That's why I'm trying it out to verify.

I didn't know you can do that! Definitely worth a try! Let us know how it works!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I'd like to know if this works...I'm tired of the data cap. I'm just paranoid they are gonna come back and say hey wait...you're using your iPhone 4 again, no unlimited for you!

Otherwise I'm gonna go threaten to cancel and switch to Verizon when feb 10 rolls around. Too bad I don't really plan to move to Verizon...hope they don't call my bluff.

What happens is when you use a 2g you dont have a choice to do anything but go unlimited.
    Then after you seem that you activated the 2g on your account and you see that the unlimited 20 dollar data is on, call into att and say hey i have an ip4 now i would like to keep my unlimited data though.
    They will ask you some question and try to sell you on the 2gb plan just ignore it and sound a little frusterated and mad maybe even ask for a manager or threaten to go to verizon since they have the unlimited data and the iphone now. That will make them want to save you as a customer. Then the rep well say hey i can keep you unlimited but its going to jump to 30 dollars a month. You say thats fine and boom you have unlimited data on your ip4

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

What if I dont have a 2G nor do I want to go look for one. You think if I said im going to Verizon they would add it for me and bump me to the $30 unlimited? I mean if they can do it for the 2G why not the new iPhone?

Probably but honestly my personal opinion people are going to switch to verizon no matter what and i bet the data will be the big part of it. So i am thinking att will either A just let them go and not try to save anyone or bring back the unlimited data for 25 and get rid of the 2 gb

Thanks

That's what I was thinking too. Most iPhone 4 users use a bit of data, hopefully they don't let us go but instead bring back unlimited to compete with Verizon. I think they'd lose too many customers if they didn't compete.

I think they will honestly, And for a cheaper price to beat out verizon its going to get real competitive which is good alot of things can happen

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

What are the steps to do this properly? I found some online at Change your new iphone data plan to a grandfathered unlimited data $30 a month plan but I have questions.

How long do I need to wait before making a call with the iphone 4 for AT&T's system to grandfather in the old plan.

At this point, AT&T has changed my account to give me unlimited data, text and messaging for $30/month. Do I now return my sim card to the iphone immediately or do I need to wait and use the other phone for a few days.

thanks

Update: This doesn't work anymore. AT&T automatically updates the data plan to a limited one.
    Last edited by twitchthecat; 01-17-2011 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Update