Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS with No Data Plan

Default iPhone 3GS with No Data Plan
    All,
    I've run into an interesting situation. I have a friend who is running an iPhone 3G on AT&T with no data plan and has not been harrassed by AT&T at all about adding the data package.

Over the weekend, another friend tried the same thing with the 3GS and AT&T automatically added the data plan for her.

Both phones are jailbroken with data turned off via sbsettings. The 3G is running 3.1.3 and the 3GS is running 4.0.1.

Does anyone know if AT&T is only cracking down on folks using 3GS and not caring about the 3G?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

Switched my wife from a 3G to a 3GS over a week ago, and no data plan yet. They've recognized the IMEI, and online, they've identified that it's a 3GS, but they've taken no action. So far, in the eight or so months that she's had an iPhone with no data plan, I've only had to fend them off once.

What exactly are you doing to block data? What version firmware is your wife's 3gs running?

For my friend, the phone is jb'd, on 4.0.1 and using sbsettings to turn off all data.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

If he's on 4.0.1, why doesn't turn off "Cellular Data" in Settings--->General--->Network. That will definitely disable data.

The way SBSettings disables data is different than the stock iOS 4.x method. SBSettings puts in an invalid APN in place of the true one, while the iOS method disables the data connection completely (as if you went internationally while your data roaming is turned off). Even though SBSettings's means will disable the phone from pulling valid data, the phone is still trying to send data and that might be why AT&T is 'flagging' him for a lack of a data plan.

Also, 4.x has been very iffy when it comes to jailbroken software, especially network software, as the networking frameworks used by iOS changed dramatically between 3.x and 4.x (Persistent connection, the Cellular Data turn off switch, etc). OpenSSH and SBSettings at times brakes typical iOS network settings, so that might be contributing to his phone showing up on AT&T's data plan radar.

It's probably a good idea to use the 'stock' means to blocking data before using software, or even better have him put the SIM in a dumbphone and then call CS to block data on AT&T's end. However, it's in AT&T's Terms of Service that they have the 'right' to apply the data plan to smartphones when they see fit. Keep that in mind.

Hope this helps.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

We did use sbsettings to turn off cellular data. But I will have them block with a call to AT&T, too, and try again.

Thanks

And I'll turn off cellular data in settings. I'm pretty sure this is just a normal IMEI scan, though.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Vick84's Avatar
    Thanks

i been using sbsettings with turn of all data...and they havent caught it yet...3gs.3.1.3, but havent tried on iphone 4 yet

att can not force you to add data unless you purchase the phone with that data plan. if you have a generic phone and only have lets say minutes & text in no way can they force a data plan on you. If they do call up and complain for many reasons, mainly they broke the contract with you.

on a side note if you want a portion of their service unavailable to you, you can call att and request to have edge and 3g blocked from your phone.

I can confirm that AT&T can, indeed, add a data plan on your bill because it happened to my friend. She got a text informing her of that at like 3am.

Do any of you have this running without issue on 4.0.1?

Since the 3GS isn't downgradable right now, there isn't much I can do. The SHSH blob isn't saved for this device.

Thanks

h_2_o,

This is from the latest Wireless Data Terms and Conditions, applicable to all AT&T Mobility Nation, Unity, and Family Plan customers:

Data Plans: An eligible data plan is required for certain devices, including iPhones and other designated smartphones. Eligible data plans cover data usage in the U.S. and do not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using an iPhone or other designated smartphone without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.

However, there are people here that have gotten by w/out a data plan. There's no guarantee it will happen to everyone, so expect AT&T to charge at some point.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Thanks

As a CSR at AT&T told me, if you get the message that they've tacked on a dataplan, take the SIM out of the iPhone, and put it in a non-smartphone. Call 611 and ask why you've been set up with a data plan, and that you don't have a smartphone. They'll be able to see the IMEI of the device you're calling with, and will likely cancel the plan.

Yes, they will remove the data plan, but i'm trying to figure out if there is a way to keep them from adding it again. I'm seriously wondering if it's an iOS4 thing because i know a handful of people doing it with 3g and 3gs phones on 3.1.3 or lower and are not getting harrassed.

Thanks

When we were hit by AT&T, the phone in question was my old white 16GB 3G. It was running on 3.1.2 at the time, so I don't think it's a 4.x thing. The IMEI doesn't change between versions, and they can ALWAYS see the IMEI of any device on their network.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

It's just luck bro some people get hit with some don't.

I think its a imei linked to order/account. Never had a problem with a 3rd party purchased iphone thats jailbroken with att. Is this the case. Are the phones being hasseled the one upgraded or purchased via the same account.

I could understand att's frustration with this as seeing they'd just be handing out ip4's for 200 bucks with out any contract payment.

Otherwise, yes could be just luck

Thanks

If you're correct that it's account linked, I may not have to worry for a while, as the 3GS my wife carries now was purchased outside of our account. We'll see.

If the IMEI is account linked, it probably helps that I activated my friends 3GS using a valid AT&T sim that has an iPhone plan on it. I guess we will see.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

its just a routine imei scan there's plenty of people using iPhones with no data plan.

One more question -- for those of you using an iPhone with no data plan and have data blocked by AT&T, are you able to get MMS on your phone? if so, how? What settings are you guys using to get this to work?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyecrispy View Post
    One more question -- for those of you using an iPhone with no data plan and have data blocked by AT&T, are you able to get MMS on your phone? if so, how? What settings are you guys using to get this to work?
    If you have data blocked by AT&T, then MMS doesn't work period. Most CS reps will tell you this before you decide whether you want to block data. That's because doing so AT&T blocks ALL data calls, inlcuding ones MMS uses to download pictures and other message contents.

As for the no data plan option w/out blocking, it should still work as long as the default MMS APN settings are correct (that means you might have to manually change the cellular data APNs just to allow only MMS to work, which may or may not help). The other option could be to switch off the Cellular Data switch in Settings--->General--->Network and try to send an MMS afterward. If it works, then one's golden, if not...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast