Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 with non-iPhone plan?

Default iPhone 4 with non-iPhone plan?
    I currently have a 3GS that i have jail broken and running off my work sim card, an unlimited non-iPhone plan.

My question is, if I shave that sim card down, can I activate the new iPhone to use that work sim in?

Can I activate it with someone else's valid AT&T sim? Will I need to do that every time I reboot or restore? Do I need to wait for a jailbreak/hacktivate?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by teach42 View Post
    I currently have a 3GS that i have jail broken and running off my work sim card, an unlimited non-iPhone plan.

My question is, if I shave that sim card down, can I activate the new iPhone to use that work sim in?

Can I activate it with someone else's valid AT&T sim? Will I need to do that every time I reboot or restore? Do I need to wait for a jailbreak/hacktivate?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    In short, yes, you can cut your existing SIM down to the size of the micro SIM. However, you risk damaging your SIM, plus you won' t be able to use it in your 3GS without a SIM tray adapter.

I'm not concerned with the cutting part, but will the phone activate??? Thats what I need a definitive answer to.

Still looking for an answer. Any help?

As long as its an AT&T SIM it should work fine. Apart from the physical size, MiniSIM and MicroSIM are functionally identical. Neither the device nor the SIM itself is aware of it's size.

Here is a picture from Wikipedia that explains better. This can be used as a standard full size SIM, broken down to a MiniSIM (what your iPhone 3GS uses) or even further broken down to a MicroSIM.

Last edited by ct0wn; 07-05-2010 at 07:30 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

As far as I've read, any AT&T SIM (MicroSIM or cutdown 'regular' SIM) should activate the iPhone 4 via iTunes.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

you can just cut your current sim card

Yes it will activate it. Also use your backup from your old phone over to the Iphone4 and you bypass the Itunes new phone problem. (no jailbreak needed)

iPhone? More like MyPhone posrjak's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes it will activate it. I did this exact same thing with my work blackberry sim. I was using a 3GS then bought the iPhone 4 and cut down my sim. I was nervous, but it worked. Had a little issue with voicemail at first but it fixed it self. Then to top it off I walked in to an AT&T store and asked if they would swap my cut sim for an official micro sim. They did it no questions asked, I have no rights to the account but they still did it.