Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Outragous billing when going out of country

Default Outragous billing when going out of country
    Listening to the radio this morning. They said that when traveling oveseas, the iPhone will still do data coverage, however the charge for it is outragous! People were calling and complaining that after one week overseas, they managed to rack up a couple hundred dollars in cell phone charges. They were also complaining because they rarely used their edge network, but just having edge on will rack up the charges.

Also, and I didn't really hear them all that well about this, but they said that the fix for this is to turn international assist off when you're overseas. Again I could have mis-heard them, but I think that's what I heard.

I would also think that just turning the edge network off would help, however I do not know how to do that, is there a way to do it?

I travel overseas a lot and would like some feedback on this. THANKS!

this is old news quite frankly, within a couple weeks of launch the ball started rolling with the guy who had a 3K bill from ATT when traveling to europe. Currently there isn't a way to disable edge, best way is to call ATT in advance to setup an international plan or have them prevent data access from your phone. You can manually turn off things like email to prevent access, just make sure to avoid safari, stocks, weather or anything else that uses data.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

New firmware (1.1.1) allows for option to turn off the EDGE.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

Donald.Brown01 (09-28-2007)

NICE!

Now all I have to do is wait for a jailbreak fix, and I will get 1.1.1! Thanks Folly!