Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I am selling my 3GS to someone, if they sign up for ATT do they need to sign contract?

Default I am selling my 3GS to someone, if they sign up for ATT do they need to sign contract?
    so im selling my 3GS on ebay and had a couple questions.

i am not selling the phone unlocked or jailbroken just as is w/ no sim card.

what i want to know is if someone buys the phone and wants service through ATT are they required to sign a contract? i figure they wouldnt need to sign a contract as theyll have the phone already maybe im wrong

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

If they already have ATT service, no.

If they are a new customer, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by bobright View Post
    so im selling my 3GS on ebay and had a couple questions.

i am not selling the phone unlocked or jailbroken just as is w/ no sim card.

what i want to know is if someone buys the phone and wants service through ATT are they required to sign a contract? i figure they wouldnt need to sign a contract as theyll have the phone already maybe im wrong
    From what I understand, if you go to a retail store to activate service on a phone not under contract, it is at the discretion of the store manager whether or not to make you sign a new contract. The trouble is finding a store manager willing to give you service sans contract.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

If all else fails, then s/he should sign the contract and grab a cheap/free phone, swap over to the iPhone and sell the other phone. But that's just an idea.

I've known of people going in and doing a COE (Customer Owned Equipment) activation, but it probably does depend on the manager's intent. One's milage may vary.
    Besides, activations, even if they aren't w/ contract, still earn them commission, so I doubt they'll just turn the new no-contract customer away and risk the commission loss.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

I just got a no contract plan on AT&T with a 3gs I bought from eBay. I explained I wanted to save my upgrade for an iPhone 4 in a few months (waiting for the hysteria to calm) and she said she could try but it never worked before. Luckily it went through and now i can upgrade whenever i want. It was unlocked by ultrasn0w I don't know if that would do anything.

yeah i was wondering the same thing...i'm on tmo, and i know they offer non-contract service...i really wanna try att, but i'd hate to have to sign up for two years...att does offer 30 day trial period though right that i could cancel if i find the service doesn't cut it for me...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lunercrab View Post
    yeah i was wondering the same thing...i'm on tmo, and i know they offer non-contract service...i really wanna try att, but i'd hate to have to sign up for two years...att does offer 30 day trial period though right that i could cancel if i find the service doesn't cut it for me...
    Last I recall AT&T still had the 30-day remorse policy. Might be worth looking into.

The caveat on this is that you can't be considered a new customer for 90 days if you cancel. SO, you can't sign up, cancel in 30 days, and go back and buy a cheap iPhone for 3 months.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    If they already have ATT service, no.

If they are a new customer, yes.
    You can sign up for the no commitment plan, no contract required. I am currently under it and can get out whenever I want.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IUiPodRepair View Post
    You can sign up for the no commitment plan, no contract required. I am currently under it and can get out whenever I want.
    True, however it doesn't make much sense financially for the vast majority of iPhone users.
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ianbroste View Post
    True, however it doesn't make much sense financially for the vast majority of iPhone users.
    For the OP's question, it make a lot of sense.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    For the OP's question, it make a lot of sense.
    Touche. Got caught up in the other posts.
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

As a Store Manager for AT&T you absolutely do not sign a contract if you bring in your own equipment. The contract is tied to a discount received on equipment not to service. If you receive a discount on new equipment then you sign a 2 yr contract.