Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: US Service To Use with Officially Unlocked iPhone (12months living there)

Default Are AT&T Ripping Me Off (International Moving to USA)
    Hello to everyone who reads this.

I am in the process of getting my 32GB iPhone 3GS officially unlocked by 02.
    My monthly contract will come to an end at the end of this month, just in time too, as I am moving to Orlando Florida for 12/13months.

I'm just wondering what service provider should I get when I come out there?
    I don't want a Pay & Go option it will become to expensive I think. So I will have a bank ect...ect and don't mind paying for minutes and texts and data, but as long as i'm not tied into a contact more than 12months.

I hope that makes sense.

I want to use the iPhone (other than calling and texts to people there), but would like to use MSN, Twitter and Facebook on the go when I'm away from my laptop - to stay in touch with people back home.

Just don't know where to look.

Thank You.
    Last edited by jjmccrae; 01-19-2010 at 01:04 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone sunshinejenn03's Avatar
    Thanks

If you have an iPhone, then the phone company won't make you sign a contract. They only do that when you purchase phones at a subsidized price, to offset the discount.
    The only 2 companies in the US that the iPhone will work on (because it only works on GSM networks) are AT&T and T-Mobile. A lot of people complain about service coverage for both companies, so you should look into which has better coverage reliability in Orlando. My cousin lived about 90 minutes from Orlando at one point and used AT&T with no complaints. I don't know anyone down there with T-Mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinejenn03 View Post
    If you have an iPhone, then the phone company won't make you sign a contract. They only do that when you purchase phones at a subsidized price, to offset the discount.
    The only 2 companies in the US that the iPhone will work on (because it only works on GSM networks) are AT&T and T-Mobile. A lot of people complain about service coverage for both companies, so you should look into which has better coverage reliability in Orlando. My cousin lived about 90 minutes from Orlando at one point and used AT&T with no complaints. I don't know anyone down there with T-Mobile.
    Thanks for the advice, I've managed to speak to a few friends and people who currently work out there, and none of them are on T-Mobile, and all have iPhones on AT&T with no complaints. So that makes that decision a little easier.

After looking at the AT&T website, this is the only thing I could find was this information

Get Started - Wireless from AT&T

Now I'm not sure, but I don't think AT&T Offer iPhone specific tariffs do they like 02 does in the UK?

I can't see anything about text message or data being included in the plans listed, I'd probably only go for the $39.99 plan.

Is there not a plan that offeres unlimited Data like 02/Vodafone do here in the UK?

Thanks again for any information.
    Last edited by jjmccrae; 01-11-2010 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Does anyone have any information?

tweeted to ATT. came back with needing a $30 unlimited data plan, then a voice plan too at $39.99 - it seems a little pricy per month. I thought there would have been a cheaper option.

AT&T charges $30.00 a month for the iPhone. AT&T is your only option for 3G coverage in the US. T-Mobile can be used, however it is EDGE only.

Text messaging is also extra.

Quote Originally Posted by mpafr012 View Post
    AT&T charges $30.00 a month for the iPhone. AT&T is your only option for 3G coverage in the US. T-Mobile can be used, however it is EDGE only.

Text messaging is also extra.
    Text messaging is extra! Why isn't it included within the Data bundle. Looks like its going to be really expensive to run an iPhone over there.

Hello,

I need some serious advice. I think AT&T are ripping me off but because I have no way of checking or verifying this I thought I'd asking everyone on here.

History
    Moving to Orlando FL, next weekend for 1year. I have an iPhone 3Gs and its been officially unlocked by 02. I can't be tied into a contact as I'll only be there 1 year. Want to use iPhone for emails and Twitter and Facebook, to stay in contact with people back home. (when I'm away from my MacBook).

Now
    Spoke to AT&T via Twitter and email, and they have sent me some information, but its seems the prices are ridiculously expensive, and I thought the UK was bad.

This is what I've gather so far:

• $36 - Activation
    • $25 - Simcard
    • $15 - Texts per month (maybe $20 if I use more - doubtful)
    • $30 - iPhone Unlimited Data Plan
    • $40 - Voice Plan

That's $146 to start with, then $85 per month after that.

Why is it so expensive? How can I get my iPhone to work in the USA very cheaply.

Ideas, Suggestions, Comments, All Welcome.
    Thanks

I think you should use Tmobile, I've had them for a couple years now with my iPhone 2g and never had an issue. The cheapest plan I've seen right now for text+data is the 500 minutes, unlimited text and data for 60 dollars a month on the Even More Plus plan. You don't want the Even More plan because you already have a phone.

I live in Tampa and haven't had many issues with the service, and their customer service is fantastic.

Unsupported Browser

Quote Originally Posted by Ok_Abacus View Post
    I think you should use Tmobile, I've had them for a couple years now with my iPhone 2g and never had an issue. The cheapest plan I've seen right now for text+data is the 500 minutes, unlimited text and data for 60 dollars a month on the Even More Plus plan. You don't want the Even More plan because you already have a phone.

I live in Tampa and haven't had many issues with the service, and their customer service is fantastic.

Unsupported Browser
    Thank you for the information coming from someone who actually has the service and using it in the area. I'm looking into t-mobile now.
    Also today found out that working for Disney we can get some sort of AT&T Discount, so i've got them checking on it.

UPDATE

Ok so I have arrived in Orlando, FL. Going to start work at Walt Disney World this weekend. Spoke to a Disney AT&T rep who has been so helpful. And he got me the best plan he could with discount with a contract. So I'll get:

• 450 Anytime Minutes
    • Free Evening and Weekend Calls
    • Free AT&T to AT&T Calls
    • Unlimited iPhone Data
    • Unlimited Text
    • Discounted International Dialing
    • No Activation Fee & Free Simcard
    • $77 per Month.

Does that sounds reasonable?

Very compared to what most of us pay. Mine is around $107/month after taxes and fees. (450 Minutes, Unlimited Text, Unlimited Data)