Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Pick Your Plan Data Throttled?

Default Pick Your Plan Data Throttled?
    Im using a pick your plan sim on a 3g iphone activated with a 2g iphone with an unlimited iphone 2g data plan. I am getting a 3g icon but am only getting 250-350 kbps.

I originally thought this was because the network sucked here but then I tried the same speed test on a friends post paid 3g iphone and he is getting 1.5 mb down in the exact same spot.

I then thought it was a hardware issue so i switched sims in the iphone and i was able to get 1.5mb down on my phone too.

So im wondering is 3g speed throttled on pick your plan? Is this a software issue because of OS 3.0, I read that pick your plan data could be affected by updating to 3.0. Is att throttling the sim some how? I have heard of people getting full 3g speeds on pick your plan but so far no luck for me. Any answers?

It is my understanding that technically PAYG (and thus, pick your plan) is not supported anymore for any iPhone-- so they may have reduced your speed to the speed for "dumbphones" as that is what that plan now correlates to.
    http://www.caseify.com
    Premium Cases for the iPhone 3G/3GS

Yeah im sure thats what happened im still getting the 3g icon but the speed is slower then my friends setting right next to me is getting 1.2 mbps down while I get 250-350 kbps down. switched his sim to my phone and got 1.2 down on my phone too.

My question is the throttle at ATT level with no way to bypass on my end or is it a result of the 3.0 os and baseband where maybe I can downgrade and get full speed?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caseify View Post
    It is my understanding that technically PAYG (and thus, pick your plan) is not supported anymore for any iPhone-- so they may have reduced your speed to the speed for "dumbphones" as that is what that plan now correlates to.
    PYP is still supported with the 2G to this day, however the 3G[S] aren't officially supported on any GoPhone setup (though they technically work if you have the right settings in place).

AT&T made sure that 2G iPhone users were still supported when OS 3.0 hit. AT&T SMS'd iPhone users without official iPhone-data features to call CS & have themselves put on a iPhone-compatible plan ($30 for unlimited data for switchers... AT&T is making it's money by upping data feature prices...) so that those users wouldn't 'lose data service.'
    iPhoneOS 3.0 instituted new APN settings that only iPhone data plans are provisioned for, so if you had an 3.0-firmware iPhone (stock, without using modified IPCC/carrier files) it would only work with the iPhone-specific data plan.
    Those with 2Gs whose PYP accounts were activated by iTunes continued on with the update like nothing changed.

OP:
    I've been getting 1+ Mbps on my 3G's connection with a PYP account (activated by iTunes with a 2G iPhone)... but that's while using the 'phone' APN.

Are you on an 'original iPhone'-specific PYP data setup (i.e activated via iTunes or having AT&T add on the iPhone data plan)?
    -If you are, then make sure you're using the APN 'phone' not 'wap.cingular' because that might be why you're getting crappy speeds (see my note at the end of my post). I'd suggest removing any 'modified' IPCC files on your phone, if you have any (get the 4.2 or 4.5 version AT&T IPCCs from this post: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/4869479-post3.html and update one of those to your iPhone, or restore without a backup... either should work).
    -If you aren't on an iPhone-specific data plan, they might be throttling your usage because of use of the 'wap.cingular' APN. If you have a 2G handy, I'd suggest putting your PYP SIM in it, then call AT&T CS. Ask for them to add the iPhone data plan to your account (say that you got the SMS back in June to contact them to add the iPhone plan on).

I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T's data throttling GoPhone accounts using the 'wap.cingular' APN, but not those properly provisioned to use (and are using) the 'phone' APN.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 07-25-2009 at 12:33 AM. Reason: typos and additions
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GenesisDH For This Useful Post:

Rick Rude (07-28-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    PYP is still supported with the 2G to this day, however the 3G[S] aren't officially supported on any GoPhone setup (though they technically work if you have the right settings in place).

AT&T made sure that 2G iPhone users were still supported when OS 3.0 hit. AT&T SMS'd iPhone users without official iPhone-data features to call CS & have themselves put on a iPhone-compatible plan ($30 for unlimited data for switchers... AT&T is making it's money by upping data feature prices...) so that those users wouldn't 'lose data service.'
    iPhoneOS 3.0 instituted new APN settings that only iPhone data plans are provisioned for, so if you had an 3.0-firmware iPhone (stock, without using modified IPCC/carrier files) it would only work with the iPhone-specific data plan.
    Those with 2Gs whose PYP accounts were activated by iTunes continued on with the update like nothing changed.

OP:
    I've been getting 1+ Mbps on my 3G's connection with a PYP account (activated by iTunes with a 2G iPhone)... but that's while using the 'phone' APN.

Are you on an 'original iPhone'-specific PYP data setup (i.e activated via iTunes or having AT&T add on the iPhone data plan)?
    -If you are, then make sure you're using the APN 'phone' not 'wap.cingular' because that might be why you're getting crappy speeds (see my note at the end of my post). I'd suggest removing any 'modified' IPCC files on your phone, if you have any (get the 4.2 or 4.5 version AT&T IPCCs from this post: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/4869479-post3.html and update one of those to your iPhone, or restore without a backup... either should work).
    -If you aren't on an iPhone-specific data plan, they might be throttling your usage because of use of the 'wap.cingular' APN. If you have a 2G handy, I'd suggest putting your PYP SIM in it, then call AT&T CS. Ask for them to add the iPhone data plan to your account (say that you got the SMS back in June to contact them to add the iPhone plan on).

I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T's data throttling GoPhone accounts using the 'wap.cingular' APN, but not those properly provisioned to use (and are using) the 'phone' APN.
    thanks for the info

Ask for them to add the iPhone data plan to your account (say that you got the SMS back in June to contact them to add the iPhone plan on).
    I've spoken to 5 different Customer Care reps (Including one from the iPhone department) and they've all told me that they don't give the iPhone data plan to PYP customers anymore.

Thanks

I'm on a medianet account and get the same speed with phone or wap. APN. the thing I did notice was that when using phone APN I lost mms but worked fine when changed to wap. APN. I can't explain this exept that the phone APN Might be an iPhone only apn.

Quote Originally Posted by xshadow95 View Post
    I've spoken to 5 different Customer Care reps (Including one from the iPhone department) and they've all told me that they don't give the iPhone data plan to PYP customers anymore.
    Thats not exactly true. I got it for the first time 2 or 3 weeks ago. I just said I got a text that said call in and they gave it to me on my first try.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Rude View Post
    Thats not exactly true. I got it for the first time 2 or 3 weeks ago. I just said I got a text that said call in and they gave it to me on my first try.
    Thats exactly what I said to everyone I talked to. They told me they couldn't help me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xshadow95 View Post
    Thats exactly what I said to everyone I talked to. They told me they couldn't help me.
    You'll have to be persistent with contacting CS, but the plan's still in the system and people can get it. In fact, some people on the AT&T Community forums posted proof they were able to add-on the old unlimited MediaNet data plan (which was unavailable to 'purchase and add-on' since November of last year) on their accounts a couple months ago... so it's very possible you can get the add-on if you reach the right person. Keep track of reps' identification info for reference, and if all else fails you can try calling the Office of the President (you'd have to search for the OOP's number because I don't know it offhand).
    If I may ask, how much is your iPhone add-on per month? There were rumors that those who got it added on in June or later pay $30/month for the iPhone add-on, rather than the original cost of $20/month.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 07-31-2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: edits

If I may ask, how much is your iPhone add-on per month? There were rumors that those who got it added on in June or later pay $30/month for the iPhone add-on, rather than the original cost of $20/month.
    I pay 20 bucks per month. I told them I have a 2g, cant remember if they asked for the IMEI or not then I switched the sim to my 3g but like I said in my first post my data is throttled at 250-350 kbps but still getting the the 3g icon

Thanks

I pay 20 bucks per month. I told them I have a 2g, cant remember if they asked for the IMEI or not then I switched the sim to my 3g but like I said in my first post my data is throttled at 250-350 kbps but still getting the the 3g icon
    If it's still that bad, I think it's a different issue then. It could be something local that causing postpaid users to get priority over prepaid, or you might even have a bad SIM that needs replacement.

Where do you live? That might help figure out why you're having issues.

If it's still that bad, I think it's a different issue then. It could be something local that causing postpaid users to get priority over prepaid, or you might even have a bad SIM that needs replacement.

Where do you live? That might help figure out why you're having issues.
    Im in phoenix, it may be the sim if that's possible I got it on ebay its a blue 3g sim.

I am having the same issue and I am in cincinnati Ohio so I think AT&T is throttling pyp data customers cause they know people will use a 3g Iphone at some point in future to get the 3g speeds and they are slowing it down to get people on a contract. They have to be slowing it down cause I am only getting 400kbps and I should be getting 1.0 Mbps with 3g so Rick it is not your sim card.
    Last edited by nate513; 08-10-2009 at 05:04 PM.