Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: want to activate old 1st Gen with att but has been JB

Default want to activate old 1st Gen with att but has been JB
    Long story short i have an old 1st gen iPhone that i used Pwnage with and only used when traveling abroad with a sim.

I never had ATT as i wasnt in a coverage area and just used the iPhone as an iPod with camera, speaker etc.

Im now looking to move to an area that is covered by ATT so i want to activate with them but not sign a 2 year contract as i already own teh phone ( i was told by a rep in store i can do so but will need to activate in store)

This way if a new model comes out in June or later i can get the new model and then go under contract.

Right now im at the latest firmware and am wondering what i need to do to walk back into the store and have it activated. Surely if its running 2.0 or later they will know its been used.

Do i need to downgrade or can i just restore with stock ATT firmware 2.x ?

Thanks for any help in advance

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I could be wrong but I think you sign a two year commitment when you sign on to at&t regardless of what phone you use unless you choose pay as you go. I that is the case, I would do the pay as you go until the new iphone comes out and then sign on with at&t and get the phone for the subsidized price. good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

addertay (04-20-2009)

If you own your phone before signing up and you go into an ATT store, they won't ask for a contract.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeezius For This Useful Post:

addertay (04-20-2009)

iPhone? More like MyPhone babydol's Avatar
    Thanks

I always thought it was a two year contract for the service, not neccesarily the phone you had. you're using their sim card and their service, regardless of what type of phone it is..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babydol For This Useful Post:

addertay (04-20-2009)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The 2g requires a 2 year contract upon activation. The reps *might* be able to get the contract removed, but iTunes still requires a two year signage when done at home.

However, the OP should still be able to get the discount price for the 3G or the next model, as he didn't use a subsidy.

Another comment: this above assumes you plan to use it on postpaid (non-GoPhone).

There is a PickYourPlan option if the credit check fails... No contract, but the OP might have issues keeping the number if he plans to go postpaid later (to buy the next iPhone).
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 04-19-2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GenesisDH For This Useful Post:

addertay (04-20-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by babydol View Post
    I always thought it was a two year contract for the service, not neccesarily the phone you had. you're using their sim card and their service, regardless of what type of phone it is..
    That is what I thought.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

addertay (04-20-2009)

Thanks for all the replies. Going to look into virginizing 2.x and ill take it by the store and go from there. May have to just pay full price if another comes in June. Ill need a working phone anyway when we move.

Just did it the other day and yea no contract but it was a 3g.

Was jailbroken too fwiw. The sales dudes phone was all hacked on 3.0.. more apps then mine.

iPhone? More like MyPhone punklove's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StealthBravo View Post
    That is what I thought.
    and that's what they teach their reps to tell people- "iphone activation requires 2 year contract"- but all you have to do is ask why- then when they say its for the service- you ask them why? and when they give you another answer, ask why?

they really will try to fight you on it a bit . . . but they dont have a leg to stand on- the sim card isnt worth any money- and the service is something that you pay for monthly- no way in hell should you let them tell you that the service is what is being contracted for- ETF's are for them giving you a discount on a phone- if they dont give you anything besides service and a sim they cant make you sign a contract- and i dont think they can refuse you service for not signing a contract- and they will take your money and provide you the same service-

i was just very clear when i called- i said cancel the 2 year provision and the ETF or cancel my service- after being hard-nosed and refusing to change to a 1 year contract- and being placed on hold while the rep "spoke with her manager"- she came back and said that her manager agreed that there was no reason for a contract or ETF when i didnt recieve a subsidized phone-
    but since i already activated through itunes, it required the managers authorization to make the change to my contract- it took a bit over a week before the change showed up online-
    happiness is a warm iphone~~~~

15. The Following User Says Thank You to punklove For This Useful Post:

addertay (04-20-2009)

Thanks

^ Well I am glad you got your way but that doesnt mean it is the norm. Believe me I know, it took many times and many arguments to get an at&t rep to provision my account for mms.