Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Just Found 3G Service, How Good Are Normal Speeds?

Default Just Found 3G Service, How Good Are Normal Speeds?
    Well I was on the phone just about an hour ago with a friend who lives up the road from me, and she was looking at her and noticed she had 3G all of a sudden, so i enabled mine and whaddo you know, my city has come into some 3G service. This wasn't here a week ago when I checked so it's gotta be brand new. So instead of using the household dialup internet, I'm tethering the 3G service, and was wondering, how fast is the download speed of other peoples connection? On edge i got about 3kbps (about the same as the dialup haha), and now on 3G im maxing out at around 55kbps, which to me is pretty fast. I'm sure it could be faster because it goes in and out of 3G an edge, so I'm sure the signal to that network is weak. So yeah, anyways, to get an idea of the average download speed, what are your speeds?

My iPhone is a Part of Me IvanPK's Avatar
    Thanks

I live near you sort of... but anyways I'd not recommend tethering because some users with ATT have gotten ridiculous bills. Anyways that's around the avarage 3G speed. Just be safe with tethering, load webpages and stuff, like what you'd do on your phone. Don't download large torrents or tons of files, play online multiplayer games, etc

Retired Moderator A Retired Mod's Avatar
    Thanks

Here is mine.

Dang Zwane, those are pretty good speeds! Put's 50k to shame haha

IvanPK-Yeah I'm carful about tethering, I try to be as carful as i can. Only sticking to webpages for now, maybe a few file downloads. If it's anything large, I'll just use the phone to download it

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BecomingxInsane View Post
    Well I was on the phone just about an hour ago with a friend who lives up the road from me, and she was looking at her and noticed she had 3G all of a sudden, so i enabled mine and whaddo you know, my city has come into some 3G service. This wasn't here a week ago when I checked so it's gotta be brand new. So instead of using the household dialup internet, I'm tethering the 3G service, and was wondering, how fast is the download speed of other peoples connection? On edge i got about 3kbps (about the same as the dialup haha), and now on 3G im maxing out at around 55kbps, which to me is pretty fast. I'm sure it could be faster because it goes in and out of 3G an edge, so I'm sure the signal to that network is weak. So yeah, anyways, to get an idea of the average download speed, what are your speeds?
    55? I get twice that speed on EDGE.

EDGE:

3G:

WiFi:

I prefer the first program since it shows you your average and max instead of just the last number you wound up on. Your average is really what matters.
    Does this rag smell like chloroform to you?

If I helped you, be sure to press the Thanks! button over there ->
    If I didn't, press it anyway.

Holy crap thats fast. I;ve gotten 20k with edge before, but thats the highest. Although, that night I found the 3G service and the nights in between, around 11pm-1am before I go to sleep I'll be on dtunes looking for new music, and my download speeds were maxing out at 165kbps. Lots better then 55.

Thanks

Wow. That sucks. Maybe that's why I don't have any problems with AT&T like other people do. I almost always have a 3G connection and it's always pretty fast.

Haha you have a point. I mean my speeds are great with what I've been used to getting on the computer, but there crap compared to your speeds. But you're right... i've heard and read alot of complaints abbot AT&T but honestly I think there great. I don't always have a 3G connection, (but I usually do at home) but I'm almost never without service and usually have EDGE the entire time.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

in my city it is hard to find a spot without good 3g connections.

San Antonio? My dads side of the family lives down there, and we went on vacation to see them over the summer last year and every time i looked at once of my cousins phones they had 3G. But than again thats one of the more major cities. Mines definitely not haha. AT&T is expanding though... Sometime my city will be like that but it prolly wont be for a while.

Thanks

Yea AT&T's headquarters was here forever! We were one of the first cities to have 3G. In fact AT&T always rolls out new services here first before even bigger cities.

Really? I didn't know that. I suppose you benefit greatly from that than, every new feature coming out you're one of the first to use it... Sounds nice haha

Thanks

It is, we had 3g sooo long ago. We had it before they released a damn phone to use it. I think it was lg cu500 that i first used on 3g

Dang... After accidently destroying my 5th original iPhone (thank GOD for apple repairing them well up until the last one when my warranty ran out...) I was going to get another original one, but I had the extra money saved up and bought a 3G and now that we get the service, I'm very happy I got it and not the older one... To bad a new one is supposed to be coming out in june =/

Thanks

Well I am looking forward to it. I hope that we will get to try that 4g out before anyone else.

I've heard a little about the 4g network. I don't know much but I know it till be much faster than the current 3g network. I may be wrong but I think verizon is working on using LTE which is suppsed to be I think the 800mhz spectrum they bought out of the white space. I might be wrong on some of that but I think its all supposed to lead to a 4g network. And sprint has commercials about how their going to be the nations first 4g network. I don't know much of AT&Ts plans though.

Thanks

Yea I think AT&T will be bringing up the rear on a 4g network.

Thanks

4G will be great and all, but that's still at least 3 years away. I'm looking forward to 20Mbps with 3G. Too bad the next iPhone won't support those speeds. Maybe the 4th gen iPhone will. That's gonna be about 3x faster than what I'm getting on my iPhone over wifi!