Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 2G and using Gophone prepaid

Default Iphone 2G and using Gophone prepaid
    So I've never used prepaid before.....

I have a few questions..

I know how to unlock the Iphone to put a gophone SIM card in there.

The only problem I might have (which is why I'm asking now) is, how do I get a cell phone number?

Does it give me one when I activate the Iphone as I am unlocking it?

I'm sorry.. I've never used a gophone or anything like this ever before.

Thanks for your time, Sigz

Thanks

I just went to and ATT store and told them I wanted a prepaid account and they set me up right on there. Don't let them connect the iPhone to their computer they totally screwed up my phone and I had to repwn it.
    They did let me pick my own number from a list ao available.

2 more options

2 more options is to activate an existing phpne Prepaid and then switch sims. I have done this also.

the last options is to buy a gophone package deal from a local retailer and activate it. AT home and then switch the sim.

Any of the ways will get you a phone number.
    Yeah I'm an iPhoneaholic!! So What!!!
    4s on 5.1.1 natural
    4 on 5.1.1 jailbroken on Straight Talk
    3Gs 5.0.1
    3G 3.1.3
    2G's on 1.1.4, 3.1.3

3. The Following User Says Thank You to qnc For This Useful Post:

Sigz (03-08-2009)

Okay so just to clarify..

I can go buy a cheap 20 dollar go phone..

Take the SIM card out... Put it in the Iphone 2G..

Open up QuickPwn... follow the steps and I'll have it activated/jailbroken AND have a new cell phone number?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sigz View Post
    Okay so just to clarify..

I can go buy a cheap 20 dollar go phone..

Take the SIM card out... Put it in the Iphone 2G..

Open up QuickPwn... follow the steps and I'll have it activated/jailbroken AND have a new cell phone number?
    Yep pretty much. The go phone number would be your new number.
    4s on 5.1.1 natural
    3Gs 5.0.1
    3G 3.1.3
    2G's on 1.1.4, 3.1.3

6. The Following User Says Thank You to qnc For This Useful Post:

Sigz (03-08-2009)

Quote Originally Posted by qnc View Post
    Yep pretty much. The go phone number would be your new number.
    Thanks... but this might sound dumb. (new to prepaid remember)

Will quickpwn tell me what my # is? LOL??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sigz View Post
    Thanks... but this might sound dumb. (new to prepaid remember)

Will quickpwn tell me what my # is? LOL??
    LOL. no worries.
    your number will already be active in the $20 gophone before you switch the sim. I'm assuming your phone has the either the USB logo or the "please activate or Emergency only screen" All quickpwn does is by pass the itunes activation so you can use a different sim.

If you forget just press phone app and then contacts and you phone number will be at the top. Or just call someone with caller id
    4s on 5.1.1 natural
    3Gs 5.0.1
    3G 3.1.3
    2G's on 1.1.4, 3.1.3

9. The Following User Says Thank You to qnc For This Useful Post:

Sigz (03-08-2009)

LOL. no worries.
    your number will already be active in the $20 gophone before you switch the sim. I'm assuming your phone has the either the USB logo or the "please activate or Emergency only screen" All quickpwn does is by pass the itunes activation so you can use a different sim.

If you forget just press phone app and then contacts and you phone number will be at the top. Or just call someone with caller id
    Thanks for being so patient with me qnc. I'm a broke college student, and I can't afford to screw anything up.

My iphone actually is coming in about 2 days I'd say.

So let me just make sure I'm doing this right:

1. Get gophone.

2. Activate gophone (I hope they can port my virgin # over to gophone) and add some money to it.

3. After activating gophone, take Sim card out

4. Put sim card in new Iphone

5. Unlock/Jailbreak Iphone using quickpwn

6. Enjoy Gophone for Iphone?

Thanks again.

Thanks

Yep that is everything, except I don't know about the porting part and if you are on a MAC use Pwnage on Win use Quickpwn.

If your virgin mobile number(not familiar) is prepaid it might be a posibility to port it over, but you may need to go in to a store. In that case you will NOT need to buy a gophone. Just go into a store and tell them you want to port your prepaid number and they will be able to tell you if they can do it or not. If they can they will do the process and give you a new Sim.

No money spent on gophone and more you can add to your prepaid account.

Don't worry about messing anything up. The iPhone is very forgiving all you have to do is restore and repwn and you are good to go. I have personally used prepaid from firmware 1.1.1 all the way to 2.2.1 and each time I upgrade all you have to do is pwn the phone.

Good luck.
    4s on 5.1.1 natural
    3Gs 5.0.1
    3G 3.1.3
    2G's on 1.1.4, 3.1.3

Yep that is everything, except I don't know about the porting part and if you are on a MAC use Pwnage on Win use Quickpwn.

If your virgin mobile number(not familiar) is prepaid it might be a posibility to port it over, but you may need to go in to a store. In that case you will NOT need to buy a gophone. Just go into a store and tell them you want to port your prepaid number and they will be able to tell you if they can do it or not. If they can they will do the process and give you a new Sim.

No money spent on gophone and more you can add to your prepaid account.

Don't worry about messing anything up. The iPhone is very forgiving all you have to do is restore and repwn and you are good to go. I have personally used prepaid from firmware 1.1.1 all the way to 2.2.1 and each time I upgrade all you have to do is pwn the phone.

Good luck.
    Sweet.

So I did check and asked a live helper online and he said the phone number can be ported.

So I guess all I have to do is go to my mall and find an ATT store.

Do you think they'll try and sell me a gophone? Do they really give out just a SIM?

Thanks

Yeah they will just give you a sim. I have done it multiple times. They activate it and stick it in the phone and test a phone call. that is it.

Enjoy.
    4s on 5.1.1 natural
    3Gs 5.0.1
    3G 3.1.3
    2G's on 1.1.4, 3.1.3

Yeah they will just give you a sim. I have done it multiple times. They activate it and stick it in the phone and test a phone call. that is it.

Enjoy.
    Oh so I should bring my Iphone to the store?

Or will they test it on one of their phones?

Thanks

Take it with you and they can test it in your phone.
    4s on 5.1.1 natural
    3Gs 5.0.1
    3G 3.1.3
    2G's on 1.1.4, 3.1.3

Default How to activate iPhone with GoPhone SIM.
    Hi, Guys..

I got a GoPhone SIM from ATT a few days ago for use in my 2G iPhone.

The SIM is in the Iphone now, but it's wants me to activate it on iTunes. I have have attempted doing this without success.

Does anyone know how I can go about this, please?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Macfiend View Post
    Hi, Guys..

I got a GoPhone SIM from ATT a few days ago for use in my 2G iPhone.

The SIM is in the Iphone now, but it's wants me to activate it on iTunes. I have have attempted doing this without success.

Does anyone know how I can go about this, please?

You will need to Pwn you phone before you can stick the sim in.

follow this link:

iClarified - iPhone - How to Select an iPhone Unlock/Jailbreak Tutorial

follow the decision tree and download the appropriate tools.

Pwn your phone and then you can insert you gophone sim.

Pwning your phone is jailbraking and activating your phone (at least). You can also choose unlock if you want, but since gophone is att you don't need to.

Make sure you follow the directions in the link above.
    4s on 5.1.1 natural
    3Gs 5.0.1
    3G 3.1.3
    2G's on 1.1.4, 3.1.3

18. The Following User Says Thank You to qnc For This Useful Post:

Macfiend (06-13-2009)

Thanks for the info, qnc.

Your directions look pretty simple so far. I will try it but first I have a couple questions I hope you can help me with:

1. If I would need to "pwn" the iPhone before using GoPhone SIM in it, why then would the folks @ ATT simply give the assurance that the goPhone SIM works with the 2G iPhone? Just curious..

2. Is there anything to 'lose' by "pwnging" or "jailbreaking" the phone? Are there certain things that may not work on the iPhone after doing this? (Im assuming "pwn" isn't recommended by ATT or Apple - no?)

PS: I am going the GoPhone route temporarily until I paid-off the debt owed under the original ATT plan I had on my 2G iPhone.

Hope you can help, Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Macfiend View Post
    Thanks for the info, qnc.

Your directions look pretty simple so far. I will try it but first I have a couple questions I hope you can help me with:

1. If I would need to "pwn" the iPhone before using GoPhone SIM in it, why then would the folks @ ATT simply give the assurance that the goPhone SIM works with the 2G iPhone? Just curious..

2. Is there anything to 'lose' by "pwnging" or "jailbreaking" the phone? Are there certain things that may not work on the iPhone after doing this? (Im assuming "pwn" isn't recommended by ATT or Apple - no?)

PS: I am going the GoPhone route temporarily until I paid-off the debt owed under the original ATT plan I had on my 2G iPhone.

Hope you can help, Thanks!
    No problem glad to help.

Ok let's see.

1.Pwning you phone does a couple of things.
    - It opens the file system for read write access(Jaillbreaking)
    - The phone must be jailbroken so it can be activated. by passing the itunes activation.
    - You can also unlock your phone to use with other carriers. You won't need this option but it is out there.

The reason It will work with goPhone sim is because it is AT&T. Originally people with goPhone iPhones failed the credit check so it was the only option, they had already paid their $400 and was at home trying to activate. This was using iTunes activation.

There was a bypass on activation to enter an incorrect SSN like all 9's so the credit check would fail, but the phone would activate, you would have to set up a gophone account.

You would still need to jailbreak the phone after that.

Pwning the phone cuts all that out. Also during the Pwn process you can make a custom firmware.

2. There are no ill affects to pwning your phone. If any issue comes up then all you have to do is restore you iphone to factory and you are good to go. Done this a million times< OK not a million, but close. I tend to install too much sometimes and lock up my phone. Just restore and good to go. I'm restoring my phone as I write this.

I don't suppose AT&T or Apple recommends it, but computer companies don't recommend you install your own memory, but people do it anyway.

According to the Library of Congress(who controls copyright and other issues) you can modify your personal wireless device any way you want, as long as you are not modifying it to do anything illegal.
    You are legitimately buying your minutes so you are good on that. Not really much AT&T can say to you on that. I have never heard of any company terminating a contract because they modified their phone.(I could be wrong but i have never heard)

Also my wife's phone started having a problem(hardware) and it has apple care. I restored with factory firmware and took it in and they replaced it.

Going gophone until you pay off your debt is not an issue. Since your account was with ATT once you go in for contract service they will probably make you put down a deposit, but other than that you should not have any issues.
    4s on 5.1.1 natural
    3Gs 5.0.1
    3G 3.1.3
    2G's on 1.1.4, 3.1.3

Default QuickPwnfile Extraction
    Thanks so much for all that useful info, qnc.

So, I have been trying to get the "pwning" on over here but I am havnig a little problem. First, I downloaded the four files and placed them in the "pwnage" file as instructed here.

QuickPwn for Windows. Before beginning make sure you have updated to iTunes 8.0.2.

Step One
    Create a folder called Pwnage on your desktop.

Download the following files and place them in the Pwnage folder you just created:
    - QuickPwn-225-2.zip
    - BL 3.9
    - BL 4.6
    - 2.2.1 (2G): iPhone1,1_2.2.1_5H11_Restore.ipsw

Extract the QuickPwn-225-2.zip file to the Pwnage folder.
    But I noticed 2 things:

1. After "extracting all files" in the Quickwn-225-2.zip file, it split into several mini-files..which is different from what was shown in the instruction page. (Ref. LINK)

2. After holding down the shift key and clicking on "Restore" on iTunes as instructed, I couldn't see any thumbnail/icons at all in the resulting pop-up window. (I was supposed to highlight the "2.2.1 firmware ipsw" in the pop-up window and click open to continue).

So, there you have it - I am stuck. Any ideas, please?

Thanks

No problem you have windows. I have mac so I down loaded the file and unzipped to see what you were talking about.

The only file you need to be concerned about is the Quickpwn.exe file to start the program when needed. MAC files are self contained so you don't see all the other files included. You are OK.

2. You will need to navigate to the Pwnage folder to see the iTunes ipsw file to restore from. When you perform the shift restore you have to navigate to the folder where you had the ipsw file. They use this process because if you just click restore, if available it will down load newest firmware and if not jailbreakable yet you are stuck with upgraded phone.

for example when 3.0 final is out and you hit restore, but Quickpwn has not been updated you will have a upgraded phone with no way to activate.

navigate to your pwnage folder and you should see the file to restore.
    4s on 5.1.1 natural
    3Gs 5.0.1
    3G 3.1.3
    2G's on 1.1.4, 3.1.3

23. The Following User Says Thank You to qnc For This Useful Post:

Macfiend (06-14-2009)

Default Invisible Files @ Shift-Restore Pwanage Folder (Windows)
    No problem you have windows. I have mac so I down loaded the file and unzipped to see what you were talking about.

The only file you need to be concerned about is the Quickpwn.exe file to start the program when needed..
    Fine. Sorry I didn't mention that I was successful in locating the quickpwn.exe. But yeah, I did locate that one after extracting it from the zip-file. The MAIN problem is the one you addressed below:

2. You will need to navigate to the Pwnage folder to see the iTunes ipsw file to restore from. When you perform the shift restore you have to navigate to the folder where you had the ipsw file....navigate to your pwnage folder and you should see the file to restore.
    The above (navgating to the pwnage file) is exactly what I did but could only locate 2 folders:

a]. fseventsd and

b]. firmware,

..both which in turn contain a few other mini-folders and files that are NOT visible in the pop-up shift-restore pwnage folder. (*only the folders are visible, not the files n them*). Meanwhle, going directly to the pwnage folder @ the desktop reveals all the contents, both folders and files.

I wonder if the following has anything to do with the problem Im encountering here: The restore ipsw file also arrived as a zip-file (just like the quickpwn.exe) after downloading, even though nothing was mentioned in the instruction page about a zip-restore file download (only quickpwn.exe was)

Please help... :-(

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

You said the Ipsw file came in as a zip? That's why, it must have unzipped somehow (ipsw files are really differently named zip files), and the names of the folders you mention sound like the ipsw was unzipped.

I'd say redownload the Ipsw/firmware file, and make sure you save it with a .ipsw extension.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to GenesisDH For This Useful Post:

Macfiend (06-14-2009)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast