Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: purchasing a 3G question

Default purchasing a 3G question
    Hi, I'm actually running an unlocked iphone on t-mobile, and I really want to get the 3G. I was thinking of ways of accomplishing this, short of paying the ridiculous amounts people are posting them for on ebay. What if I had a friend who has a legit contract with ATT go to apple or whoever and say that his phones warranty expired and it's not working anymore, so he has to purchase a new phone to replace it... is there any way that either phone could be passed on to me to unlock and all that? I'm still planning on unlocking it for t-mobile, so even if they "disable" the number or whatever, it doesnt matter. Would this work?

thanks.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

No. I can promise you Apple has thought of every "trick" your thinking of.

You can sign a 2 year and purchase the phone....going through the credit check and whatever...

Then cancel the contract, pay the ETF of $175 and probably 1 month's service too.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

or, if you have a parent on at&t already and they are approved for an upgrade, have him/her buy it for u and extend/upgrade their contract n get the phone. when u go home, put his/her sim back in a basic phone n say u wanna change from that specific plan to a different one but keep the 2yr extension because your area lacks 3g or your house anyway and maybe you'll use the phone later down the road. it has worked before.
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

^Except you have to keep the iphone data plan on the account OR cancel it. And even so, that would mean your paying at least an extra $10/month or more....which would be even MORE than paying the ETF.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jiggykilla's Avatar
    Thanks

buy a 3G and sell your 2G...That's what i did and you will probably need a rebelsim and programmer.
    My Arrival Was Imminent!

off topic, but does anyone know where to get cheap iphones (unopened and w/o a contract)?

sure i got a place to get lots of cheap iphones... just bring lots of cash and meet me over in this dark alley...
    If i say something stupid I apologize. If i say something smart: "RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH".
    And if i help you, please hit the Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by guncrazy12 View Post
    off topic, but does anyone know where to get cheap iphones (unopened and w/o a contract)?
    You haven't asked this nearly enough times in unrelated threads (4). You are required to post this 5 times before it is answered.

Green Apple
    Thanks

this is my story. my friend have 3 G iphone n haz been with At&t for 2 months . I took her to AT&T store... ohh,my god I put my phone in my jacket, i put my jacket in the laundry machine...blahh blahh blahh.. the guy from AT&T smile, OK i 'll get you a new one , BUT you have to renew your contract( it 's been only 2 months , she though ) , and again, the guy say this time you have to pay the full price 399.00 + tax, ...OK , he take the brand new phone out of the box, activate for her. 5 minutes, done. We walk out of store , take the sim out put in her phone. i get the brand new iphone .
    sigh humhh , now i want to get her to the AT&T store again but still thinking what story we r gonna make up this time. any idia?

I can buy the 3G phone from apple for $399 on their website and pick it up at an apple store..... You don't need to come up with some story

thats awesome now they are selling it for 400 now but you can go on craigslist and find them for the same price if you look around

Quote Originally Posted by nexedzero View Post
    thats awesome now they are selling it for 400 now but you can go on craigslist and find them for the same price if you look around
    and you'd want to buy used from craigslist because?

Quote Originally Posted by DJSMITH View Post
    I can buy the 3G phone from apple for $399 on their website and pick it up at an apple store..... You don't need to come up with some story

ok...question...what if i buy the 16gb 3g from the website for $499...pick it up at the apple store...do i need to sign the 2 yr contract...!?
    also...do u have to pay the $30 for the mandatory data plan if im using att!?
    my only issue with buying an iphone is the data plan...!
    suggestions?

Hi, what website is everyone talking about that sells the phones with no contract?
    If i say something stupid I apologize. If i say something smart: "RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH".
    And if i help you, please hit the Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cartman13 View Post
    Hi, what website is everyone talking about that sells the phones with no contract?
    i dont think any website does that!

Quote Originally Posted by pranay16 View Post
    ok...question...what if i buy the 16gb 3g from the website for $499...pick it up at the apple store...do i need to sign the 2 yr contract...!?
    also...do u have to pay the $30 for the mandatory data plan if im using att!?
    my only issue with buying an iphone is the data plan...!
    suggestions?
    Yes, because it's still a subsidized price from AT&T. I just don't have any issues with extending my contract, even though since I bought from ebay I don't have to. If you get the $599 iPhone 3G 16GB it's not subsidized.