Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone data plan cancellation

Default iphone data plan cancellation
    okay so look. my contract with AT&T is a week from being done. so me and my parents want to get a family plan next. they want to buy the iphone cheap for 200 each and so do i. i understand you HAVE to get the data plan. but say one of us loses/sells the iphone. are you able to cancel the data plan for the lost phone ? cause then the iphone would be replaced by a different phone.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

nope you are stuck with it for 2 years unless you pay the cancellation fee OR if you are in upgrade rage (12 months into the contract) I believe you can sign for another 2 years and "upgrade" to whatever plan you want.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    nope you are stuck with it for 2 years unless you pay the cancellation fee OR if you are in upgrade rage (12 months into the contract) I believe you can sign for another 2 years and "upgrade" to whatever plan you want.
    wait so when we buy the iphones. and if one of us loses one. we will still have to pay the extra 40 dollars for nothing ?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

yes you will. You are signing a contract for 24 months essentially stating you are paying what you are paying for. ATT can argue its not for nothing. it will work the same with any internet ready phone (do non-internet ready phones still exist?)

Don;t quote me on this latter statement, but I THINK that they will give you a reduced price off of retail if you report you first phone stolen and they ban the IMEI (I think it is like 400 bucks for the 8 gig this way). You can also go the route of buying from a Best Buy. They offer a $12/month insurance per handset. Not 100% sure on theft/loss issues. This is a last resourt though. My GF works at BB and says their cell phone deal is just plain suck for iphone replacement outside of 30 days of purchase.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 09-28-2008 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

=p actually. my mom and dad just wanted to sell their iphones to make an extra quick 400. but i keep mine. both my mom and dad already have a great phone. im okay with paying for my data plan. it's just that we wanna cancel the data plan for two of the lines.
    so pretty much we'd just say that we either dont wanna use the iphone any more. or just lost it

or wait do we only have to play 40$ data plan and it will work for all 3 iphones ? or do we have to pay 40 for each.

Thanks

Don't buy an iphone if you're too cheap to pay for a data plan
    To live, you have to lie

^^ agree with him. Go ahead and sell the iPhones. Those "quick" 400 you made will go to pay for a data plan your not using. Including the lack of mms. Ha

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Uh.. first off if you lose the iPhone and have another phone such as RIM Blackberry. You can call in update the IMEI of that new phone and change the data plan. They don't charge your for something you are not using. I work for AT&T (In Tech Support, Call Center) They are telling you mis information.
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

Quote Originally Posted by nokian93 View Post
    ^^ agree with him. Go ahead and sell the iPhones. Those "quick" 400 you made will go to pay for a data plan your not using. Including the lack of mms. Ha
    supposed to be funny or something ?

and gQstatus05 what happens to the IMEI thingy. ive read somewhere on the forum that they can ban it. making the phone unusable. that true ?

Don't bother listening to these folks, they are clueless or more of a monkey say monkey do thing. Just tell ATT you don't want the data plan. The data plan is not required. But keep in mind, with a non-jailbroken phone, you won't be able to disable EDGE via BossPref or anything and you will get charge the Pay-per-use cost (eg, PUSH mail, accidentally open MailApp, open Facebook etc, whatever that requires network access). You might say you "won't be using" it, but u won't be able to prevent any accidental move.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Let me clarify for you guys. I work for AT&T tech support (Advanced Network Services to be exact) We troubleshoot high end phones/support them.

We do not go out of our way to BAN IMEI's whoever had theirs banned must have been a result of them calling in alot. When you call in it shows a history on the acct.

Example: You call in, I can see the last day you called in and read the notes while you are explaining to me your issue. By the time you are done I already know how to fix the problem/already fixed the problem/read the notes/etc.

If you call in alot there is a dept. in at&t called Fraud. They monitor excessive calls coming in from particular numbers. We don't deativate IMEI's etc unless there was a suspicion of fraud, either way we wouldn't do that and the only way it would get to that point is if ONE of us forwarded the notes to the fraud team or attached a note on your acct so when another REP pulls up you acct. the note pops up first.

Stop listening to stupid people who talk like they know what they are talking about. I work for them, I know all the high end phones we sell from front to back as well as policies.

I'm also going to add that calling in frequently to get your iPhone mms working is not going to raise a red flag. I agree with you guys as I have an iPhone too. Only reason I'm not going crazy is because my company gives me a blackberry phone with unlimited everything. So I still send pictures on my BB. YOU are PAYING for service, your request should be fulfilled. The best thing to do is call in and be polite. If you are a **** and stress the fact that you want credit, you are being anal, or are plain rude and take the REPs for stupid (even if they are) their willingness to assist you will be very limited. Just a recommendation.

Oh yeah and whoever said "You will still have to pay for the data plan if you lose the phone" is a retard.

That's like saying you get your car robbed but you are still buying gas. Call in , give us imei of your replacement phone, and if needed we can change the data plan or remove it completely. Data plans are billed in advance for a reason dipshits. Sorry but people just talk out their ***.
    Last edited by gQstatus05; 10-02-2008 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gQstatus05 For This Useful Post:

stevenlam (10-06-2008)

gQstatus05
    THANK YOU
    that's the answer ive been waiting for.

My iPhone is a Part of Me pokekid's Avatar
    Thanks

yeah man you should listen to gqstatus about the data plan, i have switched data plans monthly with no problems or having to cancel my plan and resign up, you signed up for the minutes with data as an add-on, i would say sell the iphones and get a bold =] love mine to death right now except the ROGERS on the bottom =[
    SB's is life
    air yeezy's coming soon

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

People also have to take into consideration that FEATURES (data plan, texting, push to talk, etc) can be added and removed at any time, they don't extend contracts.

If you change your Minutes plan I'm not to sure of that since I just work for the Data Tech Part. I think they used to extend your contract before but they stopped doing that after many complaints.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pokekid View Post
    yeah man you should listen to gqstatus about the data plan, i have switched data plans monthly with no problems or having to cancel my plan and resign up, you signed up for the minutes with data as an add-on, i would say sell the iphones and get a bold =] love mine to death right now except the ROGERS on the bottom =[
    The bold is pretty slick, though it s nothing compared to the iPhone.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I won a Blackberry Bold at my job yesterday. RIM comes to my job everytime a new phone comes out and gives away prizes. They are also coming out with a pink and white henna design blackberry pearl for the ladies. I'm going to sell the bOLD as I don't care for blackberrys. I already own a 8110 red pearl, at&t tilt which i also won at my job, and my iPhone which unfortunately we have to pay for since apple never visits our building.

Hi gQstatus05, thanks for your clarification. Do I need to activate the iphone at all or I can use my old phone which does not require any data plan and cancel data plan which I signed up when doing upgrade? Do I need to wait for certain period before doing the data plan cancellation without having to return the iphone? Thanks in advance.