Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Water Damaged Iphone 3G?

Default Water Damaged Iphone 3G?
    I am new here so i dont know if this has been posted but me and my father bought iPhone 3G's then two weeks later he went swimming with his. So he wanted to get another one but didnt want to pay the $400. So we went to at&t and we told them what happened and they said with an iPhone you are always eligable for an upgrade and you can get a new iphone at the same price but you just have to restart your 2yr agreement. Since we only had the phones for 2weeks restarting the 2yrs was nothing. So we went to the apple store and told them we had water damage they said we need a new phone. So we went like we were getting a phone and we got a new phone for the same 199 and restarted our contract. Then sold the water damged one for 400 on ebay.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to khscott2 For This Useful Post:

crossfire2500 (08-07-2008)

And your point is? Seriously, I'm not trying to be an *** but I don't see any question in your post whatsoever. Is there something you wanted to know about?
    Dirty as I wanna be!

I was just saiyng if you had that problem thats all you have to do. I always see people complaing about having to pay the 400 or 500 when thats all you have to do.

Oh ok....I was confused by the question you put in the title.
    Dirty as I wanna be!

Quote Originally Posted by khscott2 View Post
    I am new here so i dont know if this has been posted but me and my father bought iPhone 3G's then two weeks later he went swimming with his. So he wanted to get another one but didnt want to pay the $400. So we went to at&t and we told them what happened and they said with an iPhone you are always eligable for an upgrade and you can get a new iphone at the same price but you just have to restart your 2yr agreement. Since we only had the phones for 2weeks restarting the 2yrs was nothing. So we went to the apple store and told them we had water damage they said we need a new phone. So we went like we were getting a phone and we got a new phone for the same 199 and restarted our contract. Then sold the water damged one for 400 on ebay.
    Hi, I am in a similar situation. But I am curious as how the AT&T rep let you upgrade? I didn't go to an AT&T rep, but on the website I was not shown an option to upgrade...I thought one needs to wait for a period of time before the upgrade is available? Can you give me more details please? Thank you! I really don't want pay the 400 either!

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

Hmmm, thats interesting.

If that were the case, I would just go in everyday for a month....buy one a day, then sell it for double on ebay

You sure bout that.

your bound to find one person who will do it for you....in any situation. i have put this to the test with broken iphones lately. most of the time apple will just replace stuff....period.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by cricketlang View Post
    your bound to find one person who will do it for you....in any situation. i have put this to the test with broken iphones lately. most of the time apple will just replace stuff....period.
    Even if it's water damanged or with physcal damage? That really sounds too good to be true...but I guess it does not hurt to try..

iPhone? More like MyPhone JackSchitt's Avatar
    Thanks

I always thought you had to wait until you qualified for a discount, like after 12 or 18 months of service. I had the 2G and they would not let me upgrade. I had to pay full price. Granted i didnt have the 2G before the 3G launch date, i figured i could still get the 3G discounted but they said no. Luckily i have an awesome sister that paid a little over $500 for my 3G.

half the time if you take is straight to apple and not to att they will replace it. here in utah anyways. and like with my ipod....BAM i just took it in cuz ziphone messed it up and they replaced it right on the spot.....no questions asked AND gave me a new 1 year waranty. its all about the people you talk to really
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cricketlang For This Useful Post:

Br0knIp3G (11-30-2008)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Did you con someone into buying a broken iPhone? The price seems to steep to sell as a parts only iPhone. Can you explain?
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

Quote Originally Posted by cricketlang View Post
    half the time if you take is straight to apple and not to att they will replace it. here in utah anyways. and like with my ipod....BAM i just took it in cuz ziphone messed it up and they replaced it right on the spot.....no questions asked AND gave me a new 1 year waranty. its all about the people you talk to really

Just brought the phone into Apple store a few hours ago. No luck. The guy said it's water damage. I wonder how he figured that out. The guy only took the sim card out and didn't even open the phone. He used a flashlight to look at the sim card ..and told me it was water damage. Btw, I didn't even drop the phone into any water. I just know it was water because one day was raining really hard and I read online there were people had similar experiences..The phone worked for awhile, but now just won't turn on. It's not a very lasting piece of equipent if you ask me.

Maybe I should try another location? Do they keep a record? I didn't see the guy typeing anything into his laptop... I have three locations not too far to me where I live.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Br0knIp3G View Post
    Just brought the phone into Apple store a few hours ago. No luck. The guy said it's water damage. I wonder how he figured that out. The guy only took the sim card out and didn't even open the phone. He used a flashlight to look at the sim card ..and told me it was water damage. Btw, I didn't even drop the phone into any water. I just know it was water because one day was raining really hard and I read online there were people had similar experiences..The phone worked for awhile, but now just won't turn on. It's not a very lasting piece of equipent if you ask me.

Maybe I should try another location? Do they keep a record? I didn't see the guy typeing anything into his laptop... I have three locations not too far to me where I live.
    what he did was look inside the headphone port. theres a piece of paper in there that turns pink when it gets wet. if u can find a way to turn that white again, then you may have a chance at a replacement.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JackSchitt For This Useful Post:

Br0knIp3G (11-30-2008)

Quote Originally Posted by JackSchitt View Post
    what he did was look inside the headphone port. theres a piece of paper in there that turns pink when it gets wet. if u can find a way to turn that white again, then you may have a chance at a replacement.
    The thing is that the port faces upward and if it's raining the jacl can alway get a little wet (I couldn't see it my self but I assume the guy at the apple store did)...but it does not mean phone would break because of the paper turned pink. I probably
    will try a 3rd party repair company now. Thanks.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If you know you didn't drop it in water then go to another location.

Uh HMMMM.. I'm still waiting to find out how he managed to sell the iPhone for $400 on ebay if it had water damaged. What did you put the listing as? Condition? Etc
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

Thanks

Sweat and humidity have been known to cause the tags to turn pink as well. Contact one1 here on the forums. He likes to repair iphone and simply asks for a small donation and of course you pay for the price of the part it needs. Look him up. He has helped alot of members.

the genius bar attendant told me that the sensor only turns red from an immense amount of water. water drops, according to him will not change the color

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

^^He was blowin steam somewhere.....water drops will most certainly cause the paper to discolor.

Thanks

Like i said, humidity in the air has been known to cause them to turn pink as well. Building up heat in a pocket on a cold day can cause condensation to set them off as well. Make that "Genius" prove it to you with his iphone.

Thanks

Talking waterproofing
    I'll soon be departing for a tropical isle for winter break and have recently FedEx'd my 1st gen iphone to the Northeast Maritime Institute to have it Shellback'd for $120! Why I'd carry my iphone with me on the banana boat is anyone's guess... but, better to be safe than sorry!

Golden Shellback | Splash Proof Coatings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast