Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Leaving the country...can i sell my 3G?

What's Jailbreak? Monkey Johannon's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Leaving the country...can i sell my 3G?
    Im just curious, and forgive me if this has been answered a million times, i searched and read through threads and could not find my answer.

I purchased the iPhone and signed up for the 2 year contract and blah blah blah...but im about to move out of the country to Italy with my wife and truth be told, given the living expense there, i dont really want to pay $100/month for my phone service. Im going to still use AT&T, and i have a very nice Sony Ericsson world phone that ive used for a couple of years going over seas with no issue.

My question is this...if i decide to just use my Sony Ericsson phone, will i be obligated to the iPhone plan still or can i just sell my 3G, swap my sim over and kick my plan down to jsut what i need? To put it clearly, can i cancel my iPhone plan and use another AT&T phone and lesser plan without being penalized?

Thanks!
    "Choosing the lesser of two evils...is still choosing evil." - Jerry Garcia

You can cancel your iPhone Data plan no problem, and switch SIM card no problem as well... It is the line itself that is locked into a contract...

The only way I hear you can get out of the 2 year contract is to pay the early termination fee, or move somewhere where the service provider can not provide you coverage.

BTW, Let me know if you want to sell your iPhone 3G... I call dibs! lol.
    Last edited by AndrewBucklin; 07-25-2008 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Awesome, that is what i thought, and i dont have a problem keeping with the contract, i use AT&T anyways and Sprint with work so between them im happy, and ive used my Sony phone with AT&T so i dont plan to switch anyways, especially since they have very good service in monaco.

I'll let you know if i sell it...lol, i havent made the decision yet, i just wanted to make sure i wouldnt be paying the same amount for 2 years, good to hear i wont be...but i may decide to keep it, or sell it over there, ive heard people paying so much its unbelievable there.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBucklin View Post
    You can cancel your iPhone Data plan no problem, and switch SIM card no problem as well... It is the line itself that is locked into a contract...

The only way I hear you can get out of the 2 year contract is to pay the early termination fee, or move somewhere where the service provider can not provide you coverage.

BTW, Let me know if you want to sell your iPhone 3G... I call dibs! lol.
    hey andrew ,the data plan is included in the service plan and also mandatory .are you sure that we can cancel the data plan?

I'm pretty sure you could just cancel the data plan because it's the "line" that is locked to a two year agreement...

Either way, if they did give you any trouble, just tell them the iPhone broke, and you're putting your SIM in your old RAZR or something... --Then they'll have to cancel the data plan... --Just be careful however; the iPhone uses data even when you don't think it is using data, so you will be charged per KB unless you explicitly turn off EDGE and 3G using the BossPrefs app...
    ===========================================

DFU Restore Mode - Quick How-To:
    1. Power phone OFF.
    2. Hold power + home for 10 seconds.
    3. Let go of power and continue to hold home until iTunes finds the phone.

Thanks

I talked to the guy i bought the phone from at the store, he said i can sell it to whoever i want, and switch to any phone and any plan i want as long as i complete my 2 year contract it wont matter...he said that they actually had a guy try to jack the UPS truck that the new shipments came in on the other day and the guy got away with a box of 10 3g's, but they had the boxes tagged or something...pretty crazy!

But yes, no obligation to the iPhone, just AT&T in general.

[QUOTE=AndrewBucklin;1660201]I'm pretty sure you could just cancel the data plan because it's the "line" that is locked to a two year agreement...

Is there any truth in this??????

Can you cancel the data plan at anytime and not be penalized???

copied this straight from the website...

Terms Applicable to AT&T Nation/FamilyTalk® GSM Plans: Credit approval required. Subscriber must live and have a mailing address within AT&T's owned network coverage area. An early termination fee of $175 applies if service is terminated before the end of the contract term. For service activated on or after May 25, 2008 the Early Termination Fee will be reduced by $5.00 for each full month toward your minimum term that you complete. If phone is returned within 3 days, activation fee will be refunded. If phone is returned within 30 days in like-new condition with all components, early termination fee will be waived. All other charges apply. Some dealers impose additional fees.

but like everyone else said... in your case your not breaching contract cuz your keeping your plan and just "losing" the phone...

as for the question above....
    i sold my extra one and told them i lost it... they dropped the iphone data plan from my second line with no problems
    Last edited by 808mp5; 08-07-2008 at 09:16 PM.