Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Signing up for a non iphone data plan

Default Signing up for a non iphone data plan
    If I've activated my phone using the hack to use my existing cingular SIM (no 2 yr contract), can I call and get a data plan for a "regular" phone ($20), and can I safely use that on my iphone with unlimited use? I don't see why not.

Also, anyway to turn EDGE off?

if you hacked the phone edge prolly aint gonna work with a non data plan anyway. As for setting up the data plan theres only been one sort of thing done like that and it was with some foreign company. let me look for the article... oops cant find it but what might this be...? http://www.powerpage.org/2007/07/att...hone_plan.html
    Maybe something, i dont know. If you want to, take a shot with the hacked phone or maybe wait awhile and try that article. I dont know your choice.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Old School Gaming Matrix
    Deviant Art
    "Don't think you can, know you can"

No, Edge is default and it works, but I think i'm being charged per kb usage (which will add up). And the problem is, that I don't know how to turn it off. My last phone, cingula 8525 pda, you had the option of tunring 3g/edge off, and only use wifi, so my email would only download if i was connected to wifi. but, with the hacked iphone, if i set up an email account or even click on stocks or weather widgets, it automatically connects to edge to get that information when i am not connected with wifi.

So, is there anyway to turn this off so that I can only use thoseservices with wifi? And, back to my original question, if I want to, can I just add an unlimited date plan for a "regular phone", i.e, non iphone, non pda, since that's what cingular thinks I have. ?? Thanks for all the help and feedback.

I have a regular unlimitied data plan. I changed it when I went from an 8525 to iphone. Canceled within 14 days, ran iASIGN w/ the iphone sim and it worked. (almost) The lady added the wrong data plan, she changed it and now everything works great. (Except visual VM, but normal VM works.)

I have a really old data plan on a cingular sim (unlimited data, 1500 sms, 200 mms for $20)

I activated the phone using the hack to use my old cingular sim and everything works great (except youtube and visual voicemail)

Edit: I just went to the AT&T website, and my device was automaically changed to the iphone after doing the hack, but my plan remains, and I can't find anything that says I have a new contract (looks like I'm still month-to-month), so it seems that everything is good to go...
    Last edited by Jeff70; 08-06-2007 at 03:58 PM.

I have that same plan. My youtube works on wifi and edge.

Why would youtube stop working?

Which data plan did you buy?? I'm on the same thing right now, usin my old cingular sim, but i think i'm being charged for edge, so i want to use a data plan that will let me use the iphone but don't get charged for the edge its using. So which data plan did you choose??
    please help

edge is the network...you are always "charged" for it

Okay.... Well what i was trying to get <B> HELP </B> with is, I have already did the Iasign, so i'm using the iphone with my existing sim/contract (no 2 year contract) Now all that i need help with is can i safely use my iphone with my old media package (unlimited data, 200 texts) with my iphone, with the media package not being an iphone data plan, but a regular package without getting in any trouble with at&t???
    Last edited by moneysh0t09; 08-27-2007 at 06:03 PM.

not likely. It may still work, except visual voicemail, but im sure ATT will have a fit if they catch you otherwise...could lead to HUGE charges since they would most likely not count the iphone data use as part of your existing plan....

As I understand the National 450min plan ($40) + MediaMax200 ($20) = iPhone basic plan ($60).

As for the EDGE (MediaNET) the standard option is no package but pay as you go.

To turn it OFF basically log it to your account... change features... select NON... it will disable pay as you go. iPhone will say "could not activate EDGE".

The other choice is to select a package that includes MediaNet with a specific data limit and "pay as you go" after the limit OR MediaMax which is unlimited MediaNet which starts at $20.

Heres the bottom line.

I have been using a Cingular Sim with The Unlimited media net data plan for a couple months now on my secondary iPhone and there is no hidden charges and what not. All the data stuff works on the iPhone just fine. There is no visual voice mail. And the reason the phone picture gets changed when you log into your account is that ATT reads your IMEI and it shows that you are on an iPhone.

Mine used to be an Iphone package but now it's showing something else, still got my iphone and everything works, except VM... no hidden fees.

During transition, they left the iphone visual voice mail, but put the wrong data plan when they switched me back. Then I had it changed to normal VM, it worked them, but still no edge. I called again switched to my org unlimited internet, 1500 TMs - 200 MMS, and now everything is cool. I tried to get them to change it back to VVM but she couldn't find the correct code.

I had it, and I belive it would of all worked if the right if the old data plan was correct. (Visual VM would of worked too)

Sounds confising, just don't want to talk to the wrong rep and have them report me, they last two ladie swere very helpful and cool about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    Heres the bottom line.

I have been using a Cingular Sim with The Unlimited media net data plan for a couple months now on my secondary iPhone and there is no hidden charges and what not. All the data stuff works on the iPhone just fine. There is no visual voice mail. And the reason the phone picture gets changed when you log into your account is that ATT reads your IMEI and it shows that you are on an iPhone.
    Is that this plan:?

MEdia(TM) Max Unlimited Bundle
    UNLIMITED Cellular Video, MEdia™ Net, and Messaging (Text, Video, Picture, and IM)! GET IT ALL at a discounted monthly rate.
    View Details
    You need a compatible plan and phone to get this service.
    See compatible: Phones and Plans
    ?

If so, can this be your whole monthly plan? It looks like you have to add this to a voice plan. ("you need a compatible plan and phone...")
    So what are you paying a month? If you don't mind me asking.

I'm asking because I'm thinking of canceling my iPhone plan which will bring me to my 39.99 450 minute plan with ATT. From there can I switch that plan to an unlimited data plan? Is that what you all have done? I'm assuming you all have chosen a route that ends up cheaper or a better value. Can you please explain which plans you have chosen, voice included? Thanks guys!

EDIT: Also, to change my existing plan, what steps will I have to take? First I'd cancel my current iphone plan, activate my old account for my old SimCard. OKay. Then how to i get the iPhone to recognize my old sim? (I know there is a program, but do I need to restore the iphone to default settings? will it still recognize it in iTunes..etc).

..thinking about it now, it seems like I shouldn't need to restore or anything, but i'm just making sure.
    Last edited by FrogsOblivious; 09-12-2007 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrogsOblivious View Post
    Is that this plan:?

MEdia(TM) Max Unlimited Bundle
    UNLIMITED Cellular Video, MEdia™ Net, and Messaging (Text, Video, Picture, and IM)! GET IT ALL at a discounted monthly rate.
    View Details
    You need a compatible plan and phone to get this service.
    See compatible: Phones and Plans
    ?

If so, can this be your whole monthly plan? It looks like you have to add this to a voice plan. ("you need a compatible plan and phone...")
    So what are you paying a month? If you don't mind me asking.

I'm asking because I'm thinking of canceling my iPhone plan which will bring me to my 39.99 450 minute plan with ATT. From there can I switch that plan to an unlimited data plan? Is that what you all have done? I'm assuming you all have chosen a route that ends up cheaper or a better value. Can you please explain which plans you have chosen, voice included? Thanks guys!

EDIT: Also, to change my existing plan, what steps will I have to take? First I'd cancel my current iphone plan, activate my old account for my old SimCard. OKay. Then how to i get the iPhone to recognize my old sim? (I know there is a program, but do I need to restore the iphone to default settings? will it still recognize it in iTunes..etc).

..thinking about it now, it seems like I shouldn't need to restore or anything, but i'm just making sure.
    No, the plan is unlimited data and 200 texts for 19.99 and add unlimited m2m txt for 4.99

Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    No, the plan is unlimited data and 200 texts for 19.99 and add unlimited m2m txt for 4.99
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...tId=cat1470003