Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Want to use an iphone, but don't want to fall prey to ATT

Default Want to use an iphone, but don't want to fall prey to ATT
    Hi guys,
    I used to frequent modmymoto and had the best time messing around with razrs. I have a box full of parts and tools. Anyway, that's not why I am here.

I want to get an iphone but don't want to get taken advantage of by ATT so I need some help.

I currently have a treo 680 on a family plan and have unlimited txt on all the phones and a $20 medianet unlimited on my treo. I want to get and iphone, but of course if I go throught the "channels" I will wind up paying ATT more money for less service. What can I do to get an iphone working on my sim without changing anything on ATT's end. Just buy an unlocked iphone and put in my sim card? If that is the case, will I lose any of the cool apps that iphone has like Visual Voicemail? If that's all I need to do, will my medianet still work OK in the absence of wifi?

I have poured throught the forums here enough to at least know what questions to ask, but any and all info that you have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

yeah everything should work except Visual voicemail. go buy an iphone and unlock it using pwnage. then you are good. cheaper to buy a regular phone and unlock it yourself

3. The Following User Says Thank You to matt.superman For This Useful Post:

hatchet65 (04-27-2008)

Thanks for your reply. Will I still be able to surf with safari using only medianet and wifi? Does medianet use edge now on the treo?

the iphone data plan is also $20 so whats the difference?
    Black iPhone 4 32gb. MacBook Pro (but still have a Gateway Desktop running Windows 7 Professional)

Livin the iPhone Life iphonejeff's Avatar
    Thanks

if you unlock you can make it use the internet from that carrier
    mod edit, old signature removed

Quote Originally Posted by norcalmike View Post
    the iphone data plan is also $20 so whats the difference?
    The contract and the fact that I will have to pay an additional $20($40 data + unlimited txt) just to have unlimited text msgs on the iphone.