Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Which AppleTV should I get to jailbreak?

Default Which AppleTV should I get to jailbreak?
    Greetings All,

I am considering getting an AppleTV and ditching my cable bill altogether. I want to jailbreak the AppleTV to take full advantage of it and to customize. Would I better off to get a brand new one and wait for the newest jailbreak, or buy an older (and cheaper) one and jailbreak that?

Thanks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone GADeputy's Avatar
    Thanks

First let me tell you that an older one will not be cheaper.... far from it. Currently a brand new Apple TV3 is selling for $99 in stores and on Apple.com but if you want an Apple TV 2 you'll have to go elsewhere (probably ebay or online somewhere) and you'll pay a hefty price increase because they are jailbreakable. On ebay an Apple TV 2 will cost you anywhere from $220 to $300. There's no jailbreak for the 3 so that's why people are demanding such high premiums for the 2 right now. I really wanted a jailbroken one but wasn't willing to pay the outrageous prices for a 2 so I bought a 3 and found a way around the jailbreak. I use my jailbroken iPad along with Airplay and stream everything from my iPad directly to my Apple TV 3. It works great. I installed Movie Box from Cydia and along with XBMC on my iPad and now I have access to an endless amount of movies, TV shows, and music and can effortlessly stream it all to my Apple TV using Airplay. Another thing to remember is that the 3 supports 1080p but the 2 only supports 720p.... if that makes any difference to you.
    iPhone 5 16GB
    Firmware 6.1
    Jailbroken with evasi0n

iPad 3 16GB
    Firmware 6.1
    Jailbroken with evasi0n

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I was looking around and wondering why the 2 was so much more! Makes sense

I like your idea. I have been wanting to jailbreak my iPad for a while now. I was waiting for a jailbreak for the version I currently have, but have been busy and not kept up with it lately. And upon researching this morning found they now have a jailbreak, Evasi0n, for the 6.0.1 YAY! Going to give that a shot tonight.

iPhone? More like MyPhone GADeputy's Avatar
    Thanks

You might as well upgrade your ipad to 6.1.2 before you do the jailbreak. Keep it as current as possible. ;-)
    iPhone 5 16GB
    Firmware 6.1
    Jailbroken with evasi0n

iPad 3 16GB
    Firmware 6.1
    Jailbroken with evasi0n