+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can anybody please explain the benefits of a jailbroken Apple TV?

is a discussion within the

AppleTV

forums, a part of the

Mac Hardware

section;
Hi, I am thinking of buying an Apple TV within the next couple of days to hook up to my new HDTV. Can someone please describe the things I can
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Can anybody please explain the benefits of a jailbroken Apple TV?
    Hi,

I am thinking of buying an Apple TV within the next couple of days to hook up to my new HDTV. Can someone please describe the things I can do with a jailbroken Apple tv? I have a JB Ipad and Iphone 4 already, but am completely in the dark as to what the Apple TV offers. I have heard of Hulu? But I dont know if this is for US customers only, as I am in the UK.

Can I download free movies, surf the web and run apps on the Apple tv, or am I completely on the wrong track?

Thanks in advance

Danny

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stroodle View Post
    Hi,

I am thinking of buying an Apple TV within the next couple of days to hook up to my new HDTV. Can someone please describe the things I can do with a jailbroken Apple tv? I have a JB Ipad and Iphone 4 already, but am completely in the dark as to what the Apple TV offers. I have heard of Hulu? But I dont know if this is for US customers only, as I am in the UK.

Can I download free movies, surf the web and run apps on the Apple tv, or am I completely on the wrong track?

Thanks in advance

Danny
    Actually there's not a lot of extra content so far, but it shows a lot of promise. Right now you can play full 1080p video (ATV only allows 720p by default) and stream a lot more content from your computer: movies or TV shows in .AVI format instead of having to convert them to MP4 first. I've heard of accessing Hulu and running HotSpot Shield proxy as well so you can view Hulu from outside the U.S. That's my next project. Reportedly you can't mess it up (just fail) so you've got nothing to lose by trying. And keep trying: it took me about two days to finally do it right.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to douglh For This Useful Post:

stroodle (07-15-2011)

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I think I will definitely take the plunge and get one. Going on how fast and smart the devs are with app releases and ideas, it will definetly be worth it.

Thanks again for the help

Danny

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Thanks

???

I already have a jail broken iPad and iPhone 4....my question is regarding the Appletv as I have no experience with them.

Thanks anyway

Danny

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default Here are a few reasons-
    Jailbreaking the ATV2 lets you install XBMC, which is a really fantastic media player. Once that's installed, there's a whole world of content available that wouldn't be otherwise.

I have an NAS with about 1000 movies and 5000 TV episodes on it, mostly in avi, mkv, and divx format. Now I could spend the rest of my life converting all those to mp4 and watch them through the (horrible) AppleTV/iTunes interface, but instead, I just installed XBMC and can watch them without converting in an interface that is far more capable.

I have a Hulu+ account, but the ATV2 can't use it unless you first jailbreak and install XBMC and the Hulu plug-in (which just got back in action today).

There are many other sources (like Icefilms) that have a ton of quality, recent content available, and again these only work with XBMC installed, which can only be done on the ATV2 after it's been jailbroken.

Since I have multiple computers and ATVs with XBMC installed, I've centralized the database so that everything is synchronized. It keeps track of what I've watched, and if I stop playing a video, I can resume where I left off even in another room on a different type of device (like an iMac, PC or iPad).

This only scratches the surface, but I think you get the idea.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveiPhone For This Useful Post:

anonymust (10-17-2012), old900rr (10-09-2011), stroodle (07-16-2011)

Thanks

Cheers for that Dave. That helps a lot. I think you sealed the deal for me

Thanks

Danny