+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreak help for appletv2

is a discussion within the

AppleTV

forums, a part of the

Mac Hardware

section;
I have made up my mind about jailbreaking my ATV2. I tried using Sn0wbreeze and it keeps getting stuck at Unzipping IPSW. I have let it run for a hour
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Default Jailbreak help for appletv2
    I have made up my mind about jailbreaking my ATV2. I tried using Sn0wbreeze and it keeps getting stuck at Unzipping IPSW. I have let it run for a hour plus and still nothing. I have recently upgraded itunes to 10.5 beta so im wondering if that has anything to do with it? Any help would be great.

My iPhone is a Part of Me GrandMstrBud's Avatar
    Thanks

I can't jailbreak mine either. I have a custom IPSW created and get an error 1601 everytime.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Janet55's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm, turn to this Apple TV wiki:AppleTV 2 - AwkwardTV there are a column for jailbreaking~
    OR you could turn to appletvhack.net: How to jailbreak Apple TV 2 with greenpois0n rc6
    Life is like music. It must be composed by ear, feeling and instinct, not by rule.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I'm having a lot of trouble jailbreaking my Apple TV.

I've tried PwnageTool, which, for some reason, the only build it will recognize is 8F202 and not 8F305. I have PwnageTool 4.3 installed, and whenever I click "Check for updates", it gives me this really sarcastic response of "Are you even connected to the internet?" and doesn't even say if I am connected. I've heard about PT 4.3.3.1, but I can't find it anywhere. I've used PT to jailbreak my iPhone repeated times with success, but the Apple TV is just a stubborn little bastard. I created a custom firmware from 8F202, but iTunes - of course - wouldn't let it go through; Extraction was as far as it would go, and kicked back the error saying "the requested build blah blah blah".

I tried Greenp0ison, with no luck; at one point, it told me I was jailbroken, I plugged the ATV back up to my TV and there was absolutely no indication it was jailbroken. Now, I can't even get GP to say if it is jailbroken; it will keep saying "Jailbreaking..." or "Failed" if it even does say anything else.

Seas0nPass was a piece of crap (it didn't even download the firmware), and their support was no help in terms of fixing the issue. Now, SP does download the firmware, but iTunes kicks back the 1600 error, which Apple's support site doesn't even list this error code, but it does have 1601-1604. I searched around, and turns out redsn0w has a solution.

Got around to redsn0w, and I ended up downloading the wrong version. I scoured the earth Google for 0.9.6rc12, not 0.9.5b5-5 (too many 5's in that string), and it won't even recognize my firmwares (both 8F202 and 8F305 for ATV 2G's 4.3 firmware).

Can someone, please, for the love of Thor, tell me how the crap I'm supposed to jailbreak this damned thing?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

What version of it are you trying to jailbreak?

Dev-Team Blog - Tic tac toe...

Read update 2:
    Update #2: Apple released a minor update to iOS 4.3 for AppleTV2G (the IPSW name still says 4.3, but the build version changed from 8F202 to 8F305). @i0n1c was once again able to quickly port his original 4.3.1 untether (the exploit that wouldn’t die!) to this version.

If you do feel like updating to the “new” 4.3, you’ll need to drop this bundle into the correct folder in PwnageTool.app. If you don’t know how to do that, there are lots of tutorials on the web, and we’d be glad to help in the comments below.

Thanks once again, @i0n1c!
    Last edited by Cer0; 07-13-2011 at 10:35 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

Nintendo Tim (07-14-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I tried both builds of 4.3, 8F202 and 8F305, the latter being the newest one. I added that package just now to PwnageTool's folder, and it's building (another) custom firmware.

My biggest issue is putting the ATV 2G into DFU mode. I've heard having it plugged in via USB, hold down Menu and Play/Pause on the remote for 6-7 seconds until the light blinks very fast, let go, and iTunes recognizes it as DFU. I've also heard you need to hold the buttons down again for another 6-7 seconds immediately after letting go the first time. Both PwnageTool and Greenp0ison's methods of putting it into DFU mode are similar, but even tho the app says it's in DFU mode, I can't apply the custom firmware in iTunes without a 1600 error message, or the other one that says the requested build isn't available.

iTunes doesn't even say "Your Apple TV is in restore mode. Let's go ahead and apply that custom firmware to it stealthily under Apple's nose." I even tried searching for editing host files to see if that would help, but I get nothing.

[EDIT] I just created a custom firmware in PwnageTool using the 8F305 build on that bundle you linked me to, and iTunes is now restoring the Apple TV using the custom firmware. Thanks for linking me to that bundle, because I don't know how I skipped over that update.
    Last edited by Nintendo Tim; 07-14-2011 at 01:48 PM.

What's Jailbreak? TrueLoyaltyInc's Avatar
    Thanks

Took me hours to do it but I finally jailbroke my ATV2....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

I have issues with it sometimes too when jailbreaking it. Usually took a few times to finally get it to take it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Download SeasOnPass
    Create custom ipsw
    Put atv into pwned dfu mode ( hold menu & play for 7secs )
    Restore to the cfw of 4.4.4 thru iTunes.
    Last edited by iYeow; 01-13-2012 at 07:21 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Hosko817 (01-16-2012)

The Jack White of Photoshop Hosko817's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 411 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iYeow View Post
    Download SeasOnPass
    Create custom ipsw
    Put atv into pwned dfu mode ( hold menu & play for 7secs )
    Restore to the cfw of 4.4.4 thru iTunes.
    Then what? what can you put on it?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

Install Nito tv
    Last edited by iYeow; 01-18-2012 at 07:29 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to iYeow For This Useful Post:

Hosko817 (01-23-2012)